Thread Rating:
Strachan announces his 1st squad of Scotland players for the World Cup
I gather from some footie contacts that Strachan is actually a very good coach with younger players and managing/developing them in a way that gains respect and appreciation - very different from the outward persona that he displays to the media and the public on occasions. Also two potential names were mentioned to take over from Strachan - Moyes and Lambo. Both their footie management records are riddled with failure as well and it just comes with the territory - not an easy job by any manner or means! I hope Strachan does something positive tonight and it pays off. He says he's aiming to take the 3 pts in Trnava. I live in hope rather than having any firm belief it's gonna happen.
I wouldn't hold yer breath 0762.
Big Grin 
Sutton being brutally honest again Laugh
Robertson replaced by young Tierney - possibly an injury or a defensive worry re the Lithuanian goal? Robbo had a good game but strayed and left a vacant space behind him for that Cernych goal! Darren Fletcher fit to play but Oliver Burke drops out - playing not to lose in the initial stages of this match? Martin also dropped and Steven Fletcher 'given the nod'. He is scoring goals for the Owls and I do think one of the reasons Sparky is on the subs' bench is because of a lack of game time in the past 3-4 weeks. We'll see how it goes but remember Goggsy's 1st game in charge of Celtic was in Slovakia all these years ago v Artmedia Bratislava in a Champions League quali tie - a 5-0 thrashing! I hope his fortunes in Slovakia are more positive this time! Rolleyes
Robertson is injured,got no problem with Tierney and Paterson at full back though.
HT and disappointingly down 1-0 but bizarre refereeing during this 1st half!!!! Steven Fletch clearly fouled/wiped out on the edge of the Slovak pen box - ignored by this Swedish (?) ref and they've ran up the pitch and scored their goal! Also Snodgrass cynically fouled on a good number of occasions - ignored again! This game played out unexpectedly for me and we've played with lotsa possession and creativity up front in pressing the game, Tierney is our best player but WE DON'T HAVE A REAL GOAL THREAT and that's the missing ingredient!! Look to the bench early in the 2nd half? We're playing reasonably well but lets find that bit of quality up front!! Sparky and Anya on asap?
Looking at England's tv highlights v Slovenia and they are lucky not to be two goals down v an aggressive Slovenian team.
the 2 fletchers are xxxx woeful....barry bannan an empty shirt....

We should be getting a result here despite that,it just looks like we are totally short of ideas.
It's that clear lack of quality up front jim. I thought Bannon wasn't good enough on Saturday - same again tonight!
3-0 now! Bye bye Russia - still gutted even though my biggest concern has become reality! We are sooooo...  vulnerable at the back - AWFUL! I think Darren Magregor is surely a better CB than Hanley!! Also two goals coming from Paterson's defensive position!
Their forages up front are more menacing than anything we can offer with more possession - a better quality of forward threat!

England luckily register a 0-0 draw v Slovenia and we are amazingly 'still in the hunt' as more pts are dropped by other teams in this group!! Rolleyes
Yes two goals came from his side but both were two against one Paterson was left exposed not his fault,Hanlon McGregon and Souttar are better centre halves than the two we're playing
You aren't going to win without your best players on the park. Two games on the bounce strachan didn't do that and it has likely cost us any chance of qualifying.

One bright spot on a dark night was tierney, the boys going to be a star.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »