Thread Rating:
Strachan announces his 1st squad of Scotland players for the World Cup
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37156754
New blood drafted in by wee Gordon for our 1st match v Malta and it's a curious list of players TBH. Possible opportunities being shown to Paterson, McGinn, MacKay, Burke and Tierney who will be looking to add to the single Scotland cap that they each possess apart from Oliver Burke who has been capped twice. A lack of a solid central defender still concerns me and the same goes for a solid right back as well! Ross McCormack and Shaun Maloney both omitted and our central midfield area could be a tad weaker with Broony's recent confirmed retirement - Strachan will need to redress that prob by adding some physicality to that part of the Scotland team. Good to see Sparky up front and he'll hopefully 'do the biz' against group minnows like Malta.
Its not too bad a squad i think, although you could argue mccormack should be in there. I think we have goals in us though and plenty of quality in midfield.

paterson and tierney have done really well for their clubs and look ready to be more involved. Like you say centre back remains the problem position for us....i don't rate that donkey hanley or gordon greer. It worries me.
Get in!!!!!!

scotland win 5-1 in malta with a decent,professional performance. Top of the group. We actually look fairly good middle to front and ritchie and snodgrass were good.

Next up lithuania at home.
Aye! A great result for Scotland and a 'statement of intent' from wee Gordon's players. The first time we've won an opening group match since our 6-0 win v Faroe Islands in 2006(?). What a nervy 1st half but a more focussed and deadly performance in the 2nd half with a memorable 'hat trick' for Snoddy, a player who we badly missed in the last Euro campaign. Delighted and bring on Lithuania for the next challenge in this group.
A decent centre half and i would feel reasonably confident about the rest of the group.
Yep. The centre back position was definitely a worry before this match started and that concern has not changed one jot for most Scotland fans. Who can Gogsy find to shore up that defensive weakness?
The next test is Lithuania at Hampden on Saturday and now there is an 'air of expectancy' for an emphatic win after that 1-5 victory in Malta and topping our World Cup group so early in this campaign. I'll take any win and registering another 3 pts on the board! Thumb up Bring it on!
3 points is a must from this one.
A pish performance,hanley was garbage and no way should that donkey chris martin be starting ahead of sparky.
FT 1-1 and that's a dreadful draw v an international side that is ranked approx 117 in FIFA ratings and one that has won 3 games in the past 2-3 years! What a disappointment and too many 'near misses' being recorded by certain Scottish players - so unlucky again - another shot goes inches past the post! Thumb down Deja vu - seen it all before when we need players who know where the goal is and they 'do the biz'! This is not quite a fatal result but we've already lost top place in the group so cheaply!! :Thumb down
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »