Thread Rating:
Town v Barnsley match thread
I was expecting an almighty tussle and was suprised how well we handled the 1st half, scoring an excellent goal but failing to add another when well on top in true Town fashion.
2nd half they equalised before we had taken our seats, then we went into a spell of 20 mins chaos where we looked rudderless, tried our damnest to give them a goal, but rode that period to get back into it 75 mins onwards.

We all assummed from our view in the moaning section it was Bunny's strike, similar stature never Hoggy it just doesnt happen, nor does he find himself inside the box but I'll take it all day long and might even provide him the confidence to have a pop more often.

Big shout out for Ward in goal, unsure if he could have got to the throw that lead to their equaliser but a made a couple of excellent saves that kept us in it. Smith & Lowe were excellent first half, when Palmer came on he looked bright, VLP didnt do much till late on then looked a world beater, not one to back track nor make a tackle, jury still out on his true worth n value. Kachunga took up the wide roll when Scanz limped off and was allover.

DW subs were puzzling, Mooy quiet but is technically our best player, Wells was excellent all game is 10% better than last season already I hope he stays cos on this form he is worth 6-8 million in the current market and time is running out to replace him.

Incredible feeling to be top tonight, dont want this to work against us in that we all think everything is hunky dory, we were lucky 2nd half not to have given them a lead we might not have recovered from but credit for our fitness level and hard work to claw our way back into it and find a winner then see out 5mins of injury time.

Great drive up Wakey Rd to J 38 passing loads of pit ponies trooping home with their bottom lips out, not quite as loud as during the game, but I expect them to do well this season.
HighlandTerrier58 likes this post
There's only Norwich who could catch us tomorrow I think. Failing that, we can at least keep top spot for a week. Thumb up
Nice to see we're having abit of luck this season. Hefele's goal at Villa and then today the Barnsley "must score" hitting the post.
They reckon luck equals out over a season, but we haven't had a fair share since coming back to the championship. Lomg may it last.

Who got man of the match? Lowe possibly. Ward maybe? Kachunga? Or was it super sub Hogg?
we'll still be in the Automatic promotion places tomorrow , 10 points out of twelve is an amazing return for any club at this level. especially when you look at the teams we've had to play ,
if youd have offered me 5 points from these 4 games at the start of the season id have taken it

Wolves is going to be a very tricky game, they are a very good side and we'll have to be at our very best and take the chances when presented. a loss would not be the end of the world though
Dont think anyone would have predicted our scorers. Good finish from lowe and good to see him getting forward too. Always good to see a fullback bombing forward even if he doesnt do it a lot yet
Without being ultra critical, we weren't at our best but we kept going and still won, which is refreshing to see. We made extremely hard work of a spirited but average Barnsley side. First half have we were ok and should have added to our opener, we looked a little sluggish at times, especially Mooy who slowed everything down when he had the ball, was glad to see the back of him yesterday, is he tired or something? Think that's the best goal ever scored by a Town full back and I rate Lowe highly, aside from Hogg, player of the season so far. Kachunga is a work horse, think he needs to work on his finishing a bit though. VLP had a decent game, but I'll be happy if he gets a shot on target this season let alone a goal, he deffo needs to work on his finishing.

Second half, we seemed to be still in the changing room when Barnsley equalised and the proceeding 20 minutes we were all at sea. Although anything Barnsley created was of our own making through poor misplaced passes, poor defending or just downright sloppiness. After that we regained control of the game to a fashion and we the better team again, but again, the final ball and our decision making in key attacking areas let us down. The important thing for me though is we kept going and got the winner at the death, to keep us unbeaten and send us top. The start to the season has surpassed all expectations given the amount of new signings we've made, what will happen when they really all settle in? Long may this continue.

Wolves up next, another stern test but the free midweek will help to rest and work on some of the sloppy things from yesterday, hopefully we'll head to Elland Road still top and unbeaten.
Under neon loneliness, motorcycle emptiness
just seen the highlights
once Wells hits some form hes going to score a hat full again
Whitehead should not be allowed to backpass anymore
Hogg looks like hes turning around thinking the goalie saved his shot and seems as surprised as anyone that it went in
So called fans on some forums are on Hudson's case (they always find one player to pick on) yet for about 15 minutes in the second half Whitehead played more passes to Barnsley than Barnsley managed to each other in the first half and nowt is said. It wasn't just back passes MNT, it was every direction.
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
A guide to cask ale.

[Image: aO7W3pZ.png]

Multi-tasking. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.
No matter where we are in the league,  even now we're top, the moaners will pick on one player. This time it's Hudson. Mental! Huh
I don't see anyone picking on Hudson on this particular thread, although to be brutally honest, he's no longer capable of performing consistently in the championship and don't forget, he was the central linchpin in a defence which conceded over 70 goals last season and he has already given a needless penalty away this season, with a daft hand ball.

Realistically, at 34 years of age he's now passed his sell by date and he should be consigned to League One at best.  Plus, where was he on Saturday when Barnsley scored from a header, following a long throw-in directly into our penalty area?

We have already off loaded Lynch and Hudson can't follow soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »