Thread Rating:
Town v Barnsley match thread
Huddersfield Town v Barnsley 
The Sky Bet Championship
Saturday August 20th - 15:00 ko
at The John Smith's Stadium

[Image: photo_-_john_smiths_stadium.jpg]

David Wagner's Barmy Army welcome the boys from Barnsley to the John Smith's Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

It has to be said, this fantastic start to the season has been a major surprise to some people, not least the likes of "experts" Ian Holloway, Jamie Redknapp and Chris Iwelumo. But to us Town fans, it hasn't, as we knew the #WagnerRevolution was becoming a reality.
In previous good starts to seasons, we would now cock up in spectacular fashion once we come up against a team that we're expected to beat. In other words, somebody like this weekend's opponents Barnsley. But I for one, am confident that this will not happen and the good times will keep on coming.
One thing I have been particularly impressed with about David Wagner has been his inspired substitutes. Three league matches played and three goals from subs having just come on. Kasey Palmer with the winner against Brentford, Jack Payne up at Sid James' Park and on Tuesday night a brilliant equalising goal from the Magic Arse of Michael Hefele, who's fast becoming the greatest cult hero this Town has seen since Steve Kindon arrived.
Bringing on back the good times. Up the Town.

A brief history of Barnsley FC: Founded in  1887 by the Reverend Tiverton Preedy and known as Barnsley St Peter's, he was the one who secured the land on which Oakwell was built, their home ever since. A group of Barnsley's fans have recently been down to tend the old Reverend's grave in Islington cemetery, by the way. A nice touch.
They joined the Football League in 1898, reached the FA Cup Final in 1910 (losing to Newcastle) and then won it two years later, beating WBA after a replay.
After the war, the FL extended the 1st division to 20 clubs and having finished 3rd in division 2 the season before the war, Barnsley were expected to be promoted into the new set up. However, some under hand dealings or "thanks for their war efforts" as it was termed at the time, mid table Arsenal were given that place instead. Arsenal have never been relegated since and Barnsley took another 8 decades to get into the top flight.
In those 8 decades, the club went to within one goal of getting that promotion (in 1922) and also plumbed the depths of the 4th division. They have spent more seasons (76) than anybody else in the 2nd top flight of English football, but in 1996/97, under the management of Danny Wilson, they finally achieved top flight status.
They only stayed there for one season though. They had Play Off defeats against Ipswich (1999/00) and Swansea (05/06) and made it to the FA Cup semi finals in 07/08, losing to Cardiff at Wembley. And then at last some success. Double Wembley success last season, beating Oxford 3-2 to win the JPT. And then beating Millwall 3-1 in the Play Off Final, with goals from Ashley Fletcher, Adam Hammill and Lloyd Isgrove.

[Image: image.jpg]

Head to head

[Image: %24_35.JPG]

Town lead in the overall head to head with 30 wins to Barnsley's 26, with 14 draws. 

The last time we met was in March 2014 when the Reds were on their way down to League 1 and we helped to send them on their way with a thumping 5-0 win, with goals from Keith Southern, Danny Ward, Adam Hammill, Adam Clayton and Sean Scannell. And that was a shame for them after the big song and dance the year before when they came here and almost relegated us, almost got relegated themselves, but in the end we both relegated the Posh, lol. What an exciting, fun filled day that was.
Chris O'Grady gave them the lead early on and at half time there were huge palpitations in the Town sides of the ground as all the results were going against us and it looked like 2001 repeating itself all over again. But no. Jermaine Beckford drew us level, before Jason Scotland put them back in front and then James Vaughan made it 2-2. By then it was smiles all round as Peterborough were losing and a draw would be good enough for us both to stay up. However, if Town were to score again that would send Barnsley down. Hence the now famous five minutes of Luke Steele just tapping the ball to himself in his own area while everybody else, including the referee, just stood and watched him.
When the ref did blow for full time, what an outpouring of love and affection for our fellow Yorkshire men and women. Scenes of unparalleled joy.

[Image: 8597.jpg]

A less pleasant memory is our Play Off defeat in 2006 when we threw away a 1-0 1st leg lead. Gary Taylor-Fletcher giving us that advantage only for us to get beat 3-1 at home with a goal from Jonny Worthington the only thing we had to cheer on the night.
There have been some high scoring matches in this head to head. Our 5-0 last time out wasn't enough to eclipse the memory of the 1998 Friday night live on Sky 7-1 hammering at Oakwell. It was 6-0 at half time and I remember coming out of the supermarket, having been shopping seeing as we didn't have Sky then and I could not believe my ears when I turned the car radio on.
Three years before that we took a 2-0 first leg League Cup lead to their place, only to go and lose 4-0, with a certain Andy Payton getting a hat trick. We signed him for £350,000 in the following summer.
Back further in time to the 50s there were a couple of 5-0 away wins for either club, and a 6-0/4-2 league double for us.
And even further back in time, Barnsley were one of our first ever league opponents with Town winning 2-0 at Barnsley in November 1910.

So what's new at Oakwell? 

Managed nowadays by Royston lad Paul Heckingbottom, a former player of theirs, who also played for Bradford City, Norwich City and Sheffield Wednesday among others. He took over as caretaker last season after Lee Johnson jumped ship and went to Bristol City. And after guiding them to winning the JPT against Oxford Utd and then the Play Off victory over Millwall, the club decided he was fit enough to be given the job full time.

Notable players in their squad:- Adam Hammill being the one we all know. The most notable thing he did in his time with us, apart from his elaborate step overs, was getting arrested outside a night club in Liverpool for assaulting a female paramedic. Before this, he had a successful spell at Oakwell, when Mark Robins was boss there. And he's having another good spell on his return, scoring in both of the Wembley wins last season.
The captain is a player we have been linked with signing in the past, Irish midfielder Conor Hourihane.
Marley Watkins can play on either wing, but two years ago was scoring for Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Scottish Cup Final win against Falkirk at Hampden Park. What a great day out that was, by the way boy.
Adam Davies is a German born, ex Wendy goalkeeper.
18 year old James Bree was the club's youngest ever player when he made his debut last season.
Aidan White had 7 years playing for the white shite, before joining Rotherham and now Barnsley.
Ryan Kent is a winger on loan from Liverpool. He has already played at the John Smith's this season, turning out as a sub in the Shankly Trophy match.
Up front, Tom Bradshaw played for Walsall against Barnsley in last season's play offs.

Recent Form: Town are 3rd in the league with 7 points and Barnsley are 7th with 6. Only one point in it and as we see our start as nothing short of fantastic, Barnsley will be equally pleased with their start, coming here on the back of home victories against much fancied sides Derby and QPR.

Aston Villa 1-1 Town
Newcastle 1-2 Town
Shrewsbury 2-1 Town (League Cup)
Town 2-1 Brentford

Barnsley 3-2 QPR
Barnsley 2-0 Derby
Barnsley 1-2 Northampton (League Cup)
Ipswich 4-2 Barnsley

[Image: article-2319363-199E2B28000005DC-199_634x530.jpg]

SHEP_HTAFC, WakeyTerrier, Amelia Chaffinch And 2 others like this post
The form book goes out of the window as far as local derbies are concerned.  Dodgy   Town have met Barnsley 16 times at home in league action since 1980 and we have only managed to win 6, drawing 7 and losing 3, so for me this game has another draw written all over it.

Barnsley are no mugs either, having already beaten ambitious Derby & QPR in the past week or so and although they lost at Ipswich earlier, they still managed to score a couple of goals at Portman Road.

I can't see any other outcome but a 2-2 draw in a very entertaining game, leaving us with 8 points from our first four games, which aint to be sniffed at.  Whistle
Cracking thread Snoots Thumb up
Not over confident about this game for some reason. I'm hoping we can hang on for a 2-1 win, but wouldn't surprise me to see a draw.
One thing in Town's favour this season though is our ability to get late goals.
The type of football we play means that the opposition is tired with 10 mins to play, leaving us with more openings.
In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria
The first derby of the season and it should be a cracker against our 6 fingered friends from DingleTown.

Town must be favourite to win this and more worrying is the fact that I think we will. A repeat of the 5-0 pasting of our last meeting will do me but I'll take a scrappy 1-0 win, we've shown in the last 2 games that we can perform against the big clubs and it would be a shame if we cocked this up when it's looking likely to be a crowd of 20k(tickets sold figure). Let's get at em' , get behind the lads and roar them on to victory!

DWBA! DWBA!
think this could be trickier than a lot of town fans expect, Barnsley have had a good start to the season and scored some goals against good teams hopefully with a bumper crowd and loud fans the players will get right in Barnsleys face and bring home 3 points
Lolley doubtful for Saturday. Billing and Bunn back in contention.
maybe push Palmer out wide , or start scannell , with Bunn back in contention there are options
Nice one Snoots - another entertaining read. Thumb up

With no side on maximum points after 3 matches again after QPR lost to Barnsalee on Wednesday night, Brighton are off to another unbeaten flier with no goals against either. All the hallmarks of yet another close scrap at both ends of the division this season.

Looking forward to a packed out home match and another result to keep us moving forward. T'black arsed'uns and Wolves were probably the two fixtures when we first looked at them where we maybe thought we'd start to pick up points. Well we've done that in spades already so let's get in for those Brucey Bonus points - or should it now be Wagner Wiggle Room points?
WakeyTerrier likes this post
A guide to cask ale.

[Image: aO7W3pZ.png]

Multi-tasking. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.
Sneaky feeling that this could be our first defeat in the league. They have a good unity and have upset a few teams with their never say die attitude
What gives me hope is that these lads don't give up, conceaded equalisers to Brentford and Newcastle but they didn't give up and we hung on at Villa after a poor first half to become the better team in the second half and gain a deserved point. Wagner doesn't want to settle for the point he wants a win and every sub he's made has been a positive and productive one. We're as fit as a butchers dog and teams know now if they didn't already that they are not going to stroll over us
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »