Thread Rating:
England- Euro16
Yous always have talent but you always fuq it up,it really is brilliant watching England collapse and then those arsehole pundits afterwards,thanks again for making a nation happy.
Enjoy the moment lads, one day you may even experience a major tournament
(28-06-2016, 08:42)Fredstersafool Wrote: He is honking why Fraser Forster wasn't the keeper is beyond me,Raheem Sterling is horrific and to take a player who's palyed 141minutes of football is incredible,I think Scotland should make Hodgson or new patron saint.

Forster is a much better keeper than joe hart.

Hodgson should have been binned after they didn't get through that world cup group. The FA were paying him 3 times as much as martin o'neill for instance!! Mental.

I don't have a problem with English pundits being bitterly disappointed with the result but I thought the lack of respect shown to Iceland before and after the game was totally out of order.

(28-06-2016, 11:04)WakeyTerrier Wrote: Enjoy the moment lads, one day you may even experience a major tournament

Aye very good,the 2 sides that topped our group are in the quarter finals. Unlike England who had a pish easy group.
(28-06-2016, 11:04)WakeyTerrier Wrote: Enjoy the moment lads, one day you may even experience a major tournament

Aye! Like Wales, Iceland, Albania and N Ireland at the moment and not as unattainable as your last comment seems to be inferring!! Anything is possible with the right manager in place and a solid group of players who are in unison with the playing ethos and tactics employed by that manager and his coaching staff.
Ive enjoyed plenty major tournaments just not for a while the most enjoyable were 74 and 78 when Engerlund were to pish to qualify, i'm sure Engerlund will give us plenty more moments to enjoy,to be honest Wakey it's the media and pundits that make us want your mob out they are total arseholes.
Whilst I can understand calls for an Eddie Jones figure in the England set-up it isn't easy to compare England's rugby World Cup failure with last night's debacle. At rugby we conjured defeat from victory against a decent but depleted Welsh team and then lost to Australia who were the second best team in the world. At football we were inept against Slovakia, moderate against Russia, slightly better against Wales and then beaten easily by Iceland, who were relying on a centre back who wasn't a success at Plymouth or Rotherham. Eddie Jones has done a great job, but he wasn't taking over of players persistently failing as soon as they hit even a moderately-sized stage, despite on paper looking like one of the strongest squads in poor tournaments. Individually we'd imagine ourselves the equal or even superior to Italy. As a team they wiped the floor with Spain, we couldn't do that with a bucket and mop.

Is there a reverse to blood-doping? Blood-draining? If so then it has happened to Harry Kane, lifeless, uncreative, his free-kicks and corners were embarrassing, his control was poor, he looked slow and weak - there are some crap centre forwards in this tournament and he fitted the mould. Raheem Stirling, can you remember when he was a tough, quick bouncy little player who ran at people? Now he goes down under any challenge, rarely beats a man, loses control, passes wildly and seems to have no appreciation of the players around him. Sturridge, I've rarely seen a player with so little control and so few ideas on positions to occupy. Rooney is usually a lovely passer of a ball, did he think we were playing in blue? Joe Hart is/was a goood keeper. I'm reading a biography of Robert Enke at the moment; I hope Joe stays away from trains (though he'd probably go down late for it!) He went down like a bag of sugar with a hole in it for Bale's modest free-kick, kept goal like a kitten on an aga against Slovakia and last night's second goal, I can only hope all recordings have been wiped of him groping slowly at trickling fresh air like a man with an infarction ........ Wilshere came on as our saviour in place of the only man who has scored a good goal for us in the competition, Vardy came on to get behind a team so deep you couldn't have got a row of lettuce behind them and Rashford, for his 8 minutes looked as though he'd have run at them and destroyed them if he hadn't spent the game in the stand. Our centre backs were uninspiring, we moved Dier forward to to destroy them of the assurance he'd earlier provided ........... What was wrong, only everything. Roy made mistakes, but managers do that all the time, players can change games with or without them. Ours did. They made themselves into losers and instead of trying something different simply repeated errors ad infinitum. It wasn't even a difficult game for Iceland.

So we think big slow-footed Frazer Foster is a better keeper than Hart? He's okay, good enough for Southampton, got a few trophies at Celtic, but English Division 2 keepers go up to Scotland and become first choices in a Premier League. Whenever Frazer has been given the England jersey he's looked overwhelmed. There are very few British goalkeepers capable of holding down a place in the English Premier League. If Joe Hart loses himself or can't get into the Manchester City team we may end up playing rush goalies in the World Cup qualifiers.

We have a lot of talented players at the moment, but they seem to have forgotten that the aim of sport is to win against an opponent. This often requires you to get down and dirty. It requires you to surrender your ego to a team. And if your opponent is giving everything, not doing that yourself is pretty fatal. Mr Hodgson is from a generation to which all those things were self-evident truths. They remain truths in Iceland. Our rugby players I think knew they were truths and that is why Eddie Jones has succeeded - rugby is a game in which it is bloody obvious you can't both pose and win. Now football I'm not so sure. The culture is slight knock, go down and writhe. Look pretty, brand your boots, get your priorities right, dandruff is a bigger worry than that toe-poke you can't quite reach.

We had a decent, good man as manager who was massively let down by players who have never learned a whole raft of lessons that were once taught and learnt in kickabouts on any green space across the country or even in the streets. We've lost a winning and competitive edge in the same way that Scotland lost those tanner ball players it once produced. Scotland now hasn't a decent player in terms of skills and the only English players capable of generating a will to win came from unusual backgrounds - Dier brought up in Portugal, Alli fought his way to Milton Keynes before being recognised, Vardy in his tag at the steel mill and maybe Rooney.

Iceland played in the simplest way possible. We didn't need tactical genius or management to beat them - only a will to win. This is a very poor tournament. Every single side looks eminently beatable.
Lord Snooty, Stairs, SHEP_HTAFC like this post
(28-06-2016, 11:37)Fredstersafool Wrote: Ive enjoyed plenty major tournaments just not for a while the most enjoyable were 74 and 78 when Engerlund were to pish to qualify, i'm sure Engerlund will give us plenty more moments to enjoy,to be honest Wakey it's the media and pundits that make us want your mob out they are total arseholes.

What an absolute load of mince that last sentence was.
Having lived in Scotland for nearly 20 years, I do have some experience in saying this.
The Scots despise the English in a sporting sense in every way....they want them to lose at everything, even if it was tiddlywinks. We could have the best media and commentators going, they still want England to lose.
I've not got an issue with this....it's a sporting rivalry. It's the same as England wanting Argentina to lose at footy, or the Aussies at cricket etc etc.
As I say, I've no problem with this, just stop lying to yourselves and us saying it's the media.
Devongone likes this post
In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/five-ot...29276.html

Here are some other similar 'England moments to forget' and rightly pointed out that the Iceland defeat was not unique.
Wakey we want them to lose at every sporting event because of there arrogance shown by yer media and pundits,sitting through total pish being being spouted by the likes of Tyldsley etc,you lot think yer better than ye ever are and it's great watching you get it shoved right up yer arses,I have no real hatred of England I just love watching them lose.
Being an English person who's never really got the fuss surrounding the England team (I genuinely don't understand how people can get passionate about them or 'support' them) I found last night quite hilarious. On paper I expected us to batter them and when we went 1-0 up early I did think the floodgates would open. Iceland just wanted it a lot more though and responded brilliantly - the second their first went in our lot shit themselves and went into a lull they never really came out of.

Their first goal was Walker's fault - he lost his man completely, unforgivable when we knew before the game they're a danger from set pieces.
Their second is a combination of the midfield being half arsed (Alli and Dier just watch them pass about in front of them) and Joe Hart making another hash of what should have been an easy save.

After that we never looked like getting back in the game. Roy had a complete mare with his subs - Vardy's a bang average footballer at best unless a defence allows loads of room in behind for him to run into which Iceland didn't, what a pointless sub. We'd have been better getting Rashford on much sooner as the only thing we hadn't done that we had the potential to do from the bench was run direct at them - 4 minutes for him to make an impact is a joke. Rooney going off for him as well - why? Sacrifice a defender at that stage, it's knockout football and we're sticking to a back 4 in the last minute needing a goal.

All that said, our biggest issue was... WE DON'T PRODUCE CREATIVE PLAYERS.

Leicester - Mahrez
Arsenal - Ozil
Spurs - Eriksen
City - Sila/De Bruyne

The top teams in the Premier League utilise English players as cogs in their team to surround the more talented creative players they acquire from abroad. How many #10's have we produced who could get into a top team? None. When a top team needs to break a team down it will be their foreign players who make the difference, not English players. If we had someone with that bit of guile, technique, creativity, vision, ability, whatever you want to call it, we could well have got back into the game, but we had nothing.Rooney is possibly our most creative player but he spent the entire tournament either hitting crossfield balls or passing sideways, and last night couldn't even get either of those things right.

Basically, we're shit. We don't produce good enough players to warrant the expectations most people in this country have. Our keeper is average. We have 2 attacking fullbacks who can't defend. Both of our centre halves are suspect. No real creativity in the midfield. No wingers. 1 good striker who had a stinker of a tournament in Kane. Why get excited and get your hopes up for that lot?

Yes we should have beaten Iceland, but would we really have expected us to do anything other than get a proper battering once we played a decent team?
Lord Snooty likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »