Thread Rating:
Food for thought
(03-02-2016, 18:36)Dancingwilldoit Wrote: Matt, after the way Cook threw the towel in and accepted the Portsmouth offer before we had our play off games there is no way on gods earth I would have him back. The excuse of lack of funds is exactly that - an excuse. A good manager doesn't need a bottomless pit to bring in players. Just look at the top 3 teams in Lge 1 and Leicester in the Prem.
Cook isn't doing so well at Portsmouth considering his budget and there is no way I would ever want to see him back.

I suppose your right, we need to forget about the Cook era and focus on the Danny Wilson era.

Also former Spireite Barry Roche scored against Pompey last night.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Dev, I know we saw some good football under Cook but the way he went left a bitter taste. He just threw the towel in and walked before the playoffs. He may still have been there in the flesh but had no interest whatsoever in our progression. Our highest pinnacle in many a year and he just pissed off. All the nice sound bites meant nothing at the end of the day he was just a chancer on his way up the ladder.
I know I'm not the only one that wouldn't want to see him back so if he ever did it would be interesting. Ex managers should stay that way.
Even though I thought the period under Cook was the best Ive seen hes gone so we draw a line under it.
I must admit I'm getting some satisfaction in their relative failure .i guess its due to their' we are too big ' mentality and they were assuming it would be a cakewalk .Dont like their chairman either .comes across as arrogant .
Whatever negotiations and agreements Mr Cook reached before the play-offs had very little to do with losing. We were playing against a better team. We played rush-goalies. Several of our team knew their future at Chesterfield was almost certainly limited. Those who were going to stay could guess that too!

The real problem is the short-termism that rules football and almost forces managers to behave as Mr Cook did.

A chancer on his way up the ladder? He went to a well-supported crumbling former giant whose bankroll had become more than dubious and which was sacking everyone who tried to manage it. Prospects? Hmmmmmm.

Makes you wonder what he imagined was down the road for him at Chesterfield doesn't it?

Did we really have any long-term plan of what to do with good players coming to the end of contracts? Had we head-hunted replacements, or were we the equivalent of a crap firm which thinks it can replace a strategic employee with a cheap ad' in the local rag? Ryan told us he wanted to move back to Lancashire a year before he left. Morsy, we knew he was saleable and that he'd be worth nothing come summer. Did we line up a tribute Ryan or a Morsy clone? Why not? Because the future for so many people in football is lurking just round the corner and it's quite likely to be a seal-cull.

What would we have done if Mr Cook had won us the play-offs?
This might sound awful but I hope Portsmouth don't get promoted because there fans are so arrogant and believe that they should win the league and that they should win every game and that they should be in the Premier League because they've got a big fan base. No team is entitled to beat anybody, its all about what happens on the day. Portsmouth are where they are because when they were in the Premier League they spent money they didn't have to stay in the Premier League.

I think if we had won the playoffs and got promoted to the Championship then we might have done a Yeovil. Look at Bristol City they won the league but they've struggled in the Championship because they didn't reinvest in the team as there building a brand new 27,000 all seater stadium. Another team where I think it will end in tears is Rotherham.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »