Thread Rating:
Food for thought

O'Donnell
Darikwa  Cooper  Margreitter  Smith
Morsy  Ryan
Roberts   Johnson   Clucas
Doyle

subs: Richards, Gnanduillet, Boden, Brindley, Devitt, Clay, Cairns

Apologies to anyone I missed who is still playing, Whitaker went on grounds of being with the lowest-positioned club.

How long would the current side hold them? It looks a pretty good team to me.

What is this based on Dev ? .All players who have played for us in the last 5 years ?
Players we had, didn't bid for, should've bid for, have now gone, been sold. About last three years except for Clay I'd think.

It just suddenly struck me you could make a team. And you can. Of the eleven, seven are now at a higher level than us, two the same and only two below (Smith and Roberts).

I think they'd be top of our current division. If nothing else it must prove we could get there ......... if only we could afford to keep the players we get.

Interesting that Walsall have hung on to their team - not too sure of Burton's attitude to promotion though. I'd have thought they could have got more out Jimmy Floyd for their star striker.
(02-02-2016, 12:08)Devongone Wrote:                    

O'Donnell
Darikwa  Cooper  Margreitter  Smith
Morsy  Ryan
Roberts   Johnson   Clucas
Doyle

subs: Richards, Gnanduillet, Boden, Brindley, Devitt, Clay, Cairns

Apologies to anyone I missed who is still playing, Whitaker went on grounds of being with the lowest-positioned club.

How long would the current side hold them? It looks a pretty good team to me.

That is a pretty strong team that could probably be a top 7 side. If Cook had stayed I think he could have rebuilt another great squad. I don't think Cook wanted to leave but he didn't want to see a team he built be dissembled. It wouldn't surprise me if he came back to manage us again.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Really Matt, I'd never thought that Cookie might want back? At our level to stay at a club a manager would almost have to disassemble a decent team to make a really good one. It's a hard job. He chose an easier one.

I was watching Chelsea at MKD. Chelsea were great to watch, but I couldn't help thinking how different the picture might have been if you could just stick Dele Ali back in MKD's midfield.

I reckon a good manager (like Mr Cook) behind my team would have them top. Only Wigan are anywhere near as strong on paper in our division. We'd have problems if we got a centre back injured though.

BY the way I forgot Boco - he has to take Craig Clay out of the subs.
(02-02-2016, 18:46)Devongone Wrote: Really Matt, I'd never thought that Cookie might want back? At our level to stay at a club a manager would almost have to disassemble a decent team to make a really good one. It's a hard job. He chose an easier one.

I was watching Chelsea at MKD. Chelsea were great to watch, but I couldn't help thinking how different the picture might have been if you could just stick Dele Ali back in MKD's midfield.

I reckon a good manager (like Mr Cook) behind my team would have them top. Only Wigan are anywhere near as strong on paper in our division. We'd have problems if we got a centre back injured though.

BY the way I forgot Boco - he has to take Craig Clay out of the subs.

Boco got released by Portsmouth the other day but he signed for Accrington again. The reason MK aren't doing great is because the money they got from the Dele Ali transfer is being spent on a new training ground because MK don't have a training ground and they train at different places even schools.

I think if Cook didn't have a job and the Chesterfield job became available I reckon he would be interested. Look at Darren Ferguson he managed Peterborough twice same for Graham Westley at Stevenage. Sir Matt Busby managed United twice, Mourinho managed Chelsea twice.

Yes, Matt, but how many of them were successful second time around?
(02-02-2016, 21:24)SaltergateBorn Wrote: Yes, Matt, but how many of them were successful second time around?

Probably Darren Ferguson and Mourinho. Does anyone know how long DW is here for?

Matt, after the way Cook threw the towel in and accepted the Portsmouth offer before we had our play off games there is no way on gods earth I would have him back. The excuse of lack of funds is exactly that - an excuse. A good manager doesn't need a bottomless pit to bring in players. Just look at the top 3 teams in Lge 1 and Leicester in the Prem.
Cook isn't doing so well at Portsmouth considering his budget and there is no way I would ever want to see him back.
None so bitter as a lover spurned eh Dancing .........

You used to love what Mr Cook did for us and the way he played the game. Don't forget that.

His next step for us would have been very difficult - build a promotion and a Championship side (and inevitably lose some of your best players whilst doing it). I do think he chose the easy option at Portsmouth - but I'm not convinced he realised how difficult even the easy option would be. He's doing better than I expected. On past form at Fratton Park I thought he'd do well to see March.

I hope Danny's got a decent contract with us and that we'll back him next season even if we are in Division 2 (he's not been handed a silver spoonful of players has he?) If Mr Cook wanted to come back to us sometime in the future I'd welcome him. He's a good part of our history who made a successful team that everyone enjoyed watching.

Of course I'd rather we'd had his loyalty, but how many clubs display loyalty to their managers? Arsenal and Crewe?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »