Thread Rating:
WBA vs Sunderland - Match Thread
(14-04-2024, 00:40)Slick_Footwork Wrote: The positive to be taken from today's game is that hopefully means we have seen the end of BTA.
Of course we are all entitled to our opinion, but I can't help feeling you are being a bit hard on BTA.

At the end of the day he is our top scorer and the numbers don't lie. I think what BTA brings to the team is, where ever he is he has two on him meaning someone else is free, he runs start to finish and no one can deny his commitment to the team and lets not forget he is probably 3rd choice and has held the line for many months while our alleged top strikers have been in the medical room pretty much constantly. As for the sending off neither was for a pull back, both were over committed tackles, the first it could be argued was more than a yellow, the second IMO was the ref making up for it.

Eitherway BTA I feel has earned my support and he will continue to get it.

Slick_Footwork, Baggiebob(BBB), 4evaabaggie like this post
(14-04-2024, 10:30)Salopbaggie Wrote:
(14-04-2024, 00:40)Slick_Footwork Wrote: The positive to be taken from today's game is that hopefully means we have seen the end of BTA.
Of course we are all entitled to our opinion, but I can't help feeling you are being a bit hard on BTA.

At the end of the day he is our top scorer and the numbers don't lie. I think what BTA brings to the team is, where ever he is he has two on him meaning someone else is free, he runs start to finish and no one can deny his commitment to the team and lets not forget he is probably 3rd choice and has held the line for many months while our alleged top strikers have been in the medical room pretty much constantly. As for the sending off neither was for a pull back, both were over committed tackles, the first it could be argued was more than a yellow, the second IMO was the ref making up for it.

Completely agree, Salop. The guy has much improvement to make but he’s young and still learning. He was never going to be out first choice striker but injuries ruled out all other options; he’s missed plenty and his first touch requires massive improvement but his effort and running are outstanding, which creates potential openings for others - and he’s still scored 12 goals this season. If, as Slick suggests, he’s left out, I’ve no clue as to who replaces him; Maja hasn’t played for months and is clearly not yet match fit, Weimann ( whom I like) has all the pace of an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping (to quote Blackadder), Phillips and Wallace have both been tried as the central striker and neither worked. Perhaps we’ll see an appearance from the seemingly mythical Reyes Cleary, although I think he’s injured as well. Obviously if Dike was fit, he would have been our first choice but I fear we won’t see him in an Albion shirt again. Whatever happens this season regarding promotion, next season’s priority has to be our strikers but I’d been very disappointed if BTA was not part of our plans
Salopbaggie likes this post
The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train
Oh dear well that was the very last thing we needed in the run up and our form is dipping at the wrong time and I don’t see it getting any better at Leicester? Although they’ve dipped even more so than us lately. By next week we could be 6th given Norwich have the easier fixture on paper? We could then find ourselves clinging on to that spot catchable by Hull Cov Boro and potentially down to the wire on final day Preston? Boro have the better form of all but like us have played one game more! We need another 3pts from somewhere urgently from Leicester Sheff W or Preston none of which will be rolling over as they all have equally important reasons at this point for wins of their own? This is gonna be a behind the sofa few weeks methinks.
Blue Baggie and harrogatebaggie like this post
We never do anything the easy way.
Traditionally we are made to bite our nails until the last game. We are normally left scrambling to check the other results before we can breathe easy. I'm still happy, we got rid of a few players, sold a couple, purchased nobody, got rid of the Chinese thief, got a new sensible owner and made the play off zone. We also kept a superb manager.
Great season no matter what.
talkSAFT, 4evaabaggie, harrogatebaggie And 1 others like this post
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
To quote Madonna “true blue”.

Never easy being a baggie, win games we should lose, lose games we should win.

But as you said Blue, under all the circumstances you listed plus, our injury list is longer than the NHS waiting lists. We have still had a great season. Not sure we are ready to go up but go up we must, we are desperately short of funds and are not the most attractive prospect to players currently. In order to progress we may need to rebuild, go up, come down, bank some money to go up again.

Our first dabbles with the greed league were about getting a taste for it and laying foundations. We then stayed for eight years. A lack of development and an aversion to take slight risks meant our squad aged and we changed managers ending up with Pulisball and the inevitable relegation. An owner that took rather than gave resulting in three years of championship football, not in itself a bad thing, better league, more balanced, more competitive, but less money. We now need to repeat our original plan and build for a brighter future, hopefully a more sustainable future. A future where we can compete and get back to being the midlands number one club. Albion til I die

Here ends my Sunday sermon. It’s over to you king Carlos and the boys. Come on you baggies
drewks, Blue Baggie, talkSAFT And 1 others like this post

I'll hold my hands up, you're right that my assessment was harsh.

I was angry after the game. I would've been angry with anyone for that sending off which could cost us dearly, but the fact it was BTA who I don't think is good enough for this level just worked me up even more.

But he does seem like a likable guy, he works hard and has scored his share of goals.

His quality just frustrates me. For me, being able to control the ball and pass simple is a non-negotiable. I don't trust him in possession and he needs too many chances to score.

But ultimately he gives his all and didn't cost a lot, so I guess I shouldn't expect the world.

But I'd definitely put him behind Weimann and Maja, especially after this. Even if Maja is half fit. He just looks far more accomplished.

(14-04-2024, 12:43)BaggieSteve Wrote: Completely agree, Salop. The guy has much improvement to make but he’s young and still learning. He was never going to be out first choice striker but injuries ruled out all other options; he’s missed plenty and his first touch requires massive improvement but his effort and running are outstanding, which creates potential openings for others - and he’s still scored 12 goals this season. If, as Slick suggests, he’s left out, I’ve no clue as to who replaces him; Maja hasn’t played for months and is clearly not yet match fit, Weimann ( whom I like) has all the pace of an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping (to quote Blackadder), Phillips and Wallace have both been tried as the central striker and neither worked. Perhaps we’ll see an appearance from the seemingly mythical Reyes Cleary, although I think he’s injured as well. Obviously if Dike was fit, he would have been our first choice but I fear we won’t see him in an Albion shirt again. Whatever happens this season regarding promotion, next season’s priority has to be our strikers but I’d been very disappointed if BTA was not part of our plans

Despite my earlier rant, I agree with what you have said for best part.

Ultimately we've been left with little choice but to play BTA. He pretty much gets in by default as the team looks perhaps a bit more well rounded with him up top than any of our midfielders.

But now Maja is back, I think BTA no longer has to be the default option.

I appreciate Maja isn't fully fit yet, but I'd favour even a half fit Maja based on what I saw of him in his cameos earlier in the season. He looked bright, far more accomplished on the ball and I doubt he needs as many chances to score either. BTA will be suspended for the next game I assume, which means Maja will have had a couple of weeks of extra fitness before BTA is next available anyway.

I'd also favour Weimann to.
Salopbaggie likes this post
(15-04-2024, 00:50)Slick_Footwork Wrote:

I'll hold my hands up, you're right that my assessment was harsh.

I was angry after the game. I would've been angry with anyone for that sending off which could cost us dearly, but the fact it was BTA who I don't think is good enough for this level just worked me up even more.

But he does seem like a likable guy, he works hard and has scored his share of goals.

His quality just frustrates me. For me, being able to control the ball and pass simple is a non-negotiable. I don't trust him in possession and he needs too many chances to score.

But ultimately he gives his all and didn't cost a lot, so I guess I shouldn't expect the world.

But I'd definitely put him behind Weimann and Maja, especially after this. Even if Maja is half fit. He just looks far more accomplished.

(14-04-2024, 12:43)BaggieSteve Wrote: Completely agree, Salop. The guy has much improvement to make but he’s young and still learning. He was never going to be out first choice striker but injuries ruled out all other options; he’s missed plenty and his first touch requires massive improvement but his effort and running are outstanding, which creates potential openings for others - and he’s still scored 12 goals this season. If, as Slick suggests, he’s left out, I’ve no clue as to who replaces him; Maja hasn’t played for months and is clearly not yet match fit, Weimann ( whom I like) has all the pace of an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping (to quote Blackadder), Phillips and Wallace have both been tried as the central striker and neither worked. Perhaps we’ll see an appearance from the seemingly mythical Reyes Cleary, although I think he’s injured as well. Obviously if Dike was fit, he would have been our first choice but I fear we won’t see him in an Albion shirt again. Whatever happens this season regarding promotion, next season’s priority has to be our strikers but I’d been very disappointed if BTA was not part of our plans

Despite my earlier rant, I agree with what you have said for best part.

Ultimately we've been left with little choice but to play BTA. He pretty much gets in by default as the team looks perhaps a bit more well rounded with him up top than any of our midfielders.

But now Maja is back, I think BTA no longer has to be the default option.

I appreciate Maja isn't fully fit yet, but I'd favour even a half fit Maja based on what I saw of him in his cameos earlier in the season. He looked bright, far more accomplished on the ball and I doubt he needs as many chances to score either. BTA will be suspended for the next game I assume, which means Maja will have had a couple of weeks of extra fitness before BTA is next available anyway.

I'd also favour Weimann to.

I agree with you regarding Maja, Slick; had he not been crocked by Ballard I think he would have been our main striker in the absence of Dike. As you say, BTA is now suspended so I’d expect Maja to start, although CC always makes unforeseen decisionsSmile. I often think BTA’s best contributions happen when he comes off the bench and can run at a tiring defence. Due to a complete absence of fit alternatives, this just hasn’t been possible.
I like Weimann but I would not pick him to start over BTA, I just don’t t think he has the pace and he doesn’t have the height to trouble defenders.

Whatever happens this season, we cannot afford another one with these issues over our strikers. The manager has worked nothing short of a miracle in getting us into 5th place
Slick_Footwork likes this post
The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »