Thread Rating:
Oxford news
Oxford United winger Tyler Goodrham has signed a new long-term deal with the club.

After coming through the Us academy the 20-year-old has made 31 appearances in all competitions this season.

The Ireland under-21 international scored his sixth goal of the season in Saturday's FA Cup defeat at Coventry.

He told the Us website: "I couldn't be happier to have signed a new deal. I'm really enjoying my football, feel very much at home here."

"The atmosphere around the club is really positive, and things are going in the right direction both on and off the pitch. I'm ambitious and want to play at the highest level possible, and the club's plans mirror that."

Listen to BBC Radio Oxford's The Dub podcast
Head coach Des Buckingham added: "Tyler has always had a brilliant attitude and is such a positive player. There's a buzz when he gets on the ball, he creates chances and he works so hard.

"He is learning all the time and is going to get better and better, so it's great news that he will be an Oxford player for years to come."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Oxford United have signed Chelsea goalkeeper Jamie Cumming on loan until the end of the season.

The 24-year-old is yet to make a first-team appearance for Chelsea and has previously had loan spells at Stevenage, Gillingham and MK Dons.

The Us moved for the England Under-19 international after James Beadle was recalled by Brighton before joining Championship side Sheffield Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Oxford winger Tyler Goodrham has signed a new long-term deal.

Head coach Des Buckingham told Oxford's website: "Jamie is a really good keeper. Lewis Price, our goalkeeping coach, worked with him at MK Dons and rates him very highly.

"We knew James Beadle might be recalled by Brighton so had been talking to Chelsea for a while. It's great that we've got this signed and completed ahead of the weekend."

Cumming, who was MK Dons' player of the year last season, said it was an "easy decision" to make the move.

Listen to BBC Radio Oxford's The Dub podcast
Earlier, Oxford also announced that 20-year-old academy product Goodrham had extended his contract.

The Ireland Under-21 international has made 31 appearances in all competitions this season and scored his sixth goal of the campaign in Saturday's FA Cup defeat at Coventry.

Tyler Goodrham (right) scores at Coventry
Tyler Goodrham scored his sixth goal of the season in Oxford's FA Cup third round defeat at Coventry on Saturday
He told the U's website: "I'm really enjoying my football and feel very much at home here.

"The atmosphere around the club is really positive. I'm ambitious and want to play at the highest level possible, and the club's plans mirror that."

Buckingham added: "Tyler has always had a brilliant attitude and is such a positive player.

"He is learning all the time and is going to get better and better so it's great news that he will be an Oxford player for years to come."

Oxford United have signed winger Kyle Edwards after his release by Ipswich.

The 25-year-old joined the Us on a season-long loan last summer but was recalled earlier this month.

Injury limited Edwards to just six Oxford appearances, though he scored twice, and he is expected to remain sidelined for a couple more months.

Town released him last week and Us head coach Des Buckingham told the club website: "It seemed a sensible solution for all concerned to have him back."

Edwards has signed for Oxford until the end of the season and Buckingham added: "We are really pleased to have Kyle back because we know what a good player he is and the level of performance he is capable of.

"We weren't expecting him to become available. The team will work with Kyle as he continues his rehab, and he should be fit for the last month of the regular season. To have him available at the business end of this campaign will be an excellent boost at a key time. He is a very positive character and I'm sure the fans will welcome Kyle back."

Edwards added: "I loved my time at Oxford and was frustrated not to play more because I was really enjoying my football. The injuries were clearly a major setback but I have been working hard and feel like I am making progress every day. The medical team are excellent and have got me in a good place.

"The fans were great with me here, and that gives me a target now: to get fit and make sure we are there celebrating together at the end of the season."

Edwards began his career at West Bromwich Albion, playing 32 Championship games, and joined Ipswich on a free transfer in 2021.

Oxford United have signed striker Will Goodwin from fellow League One side Cheltenham Town for an undisclosed fee.

The 21-year-old has signed what the U's have described as a "long-term" deal.

Goodwin has scored all six of his League One goals this season in his past nine appearances - including one against Des Buckingham's Oxford.

Buckingham said: "I'm really pleased that Will has chosen to join us. He is an outstanding talent capable of making a big contribution to this club."

Goodwin told the club website: "This was a big decision for me, and I am determined to repay the faith that the club has shown in me.

"Having spoken with the gaffer, I was really impressed by what he's doing here and the club's vision. I know this is the right place for the next stage of my career and can't wait to get started."

Goodwin is unlikely to feature until next month as he is recovering from a minor thigh strain.

He started his career with Chester before moving to Stoke and then joining Cheltenham on a two-and-a-half-year contract 12 months ago.

Oxford United have signed Blackpool winger Owen Dale on a permanent basis and Jay Matete on loan from Sunderland.

Dale, 25, has played 32 times this season but has started just one League One game in the past two months.

Midfielder Matete, 22, joined the Black Cats from Fleetwood Town two years ago and spent the second half of last term on loan at Plymouth.

Dale joins the U's for an undisclosed fee while Matete will stay for the rest of the season.

"We have had a really good window, and this now covers all bases," U's head of recruitment Ed Waldron said.

"We have signed Jamie Cumming, Joe Bennett, Jay Matete, Kyle Edwards, Tyler Burey, Owen Dale and Will Goodwin."

Matete will bring promotion know-how to the U's, having gone up twice in as many seasons with Sunderland and Argyle.

Dale played 50 games on loan at Portsmouth last season and watched Oxford draw 2-2 against the leaders on Tuesday.

"He is an exciting player - we feel he still has plenty of potential," U's boss Des Buckingham said.

Dale, who has played mainly at wing-back this season, joined Blackpool from Crewe in 2022, having played more than 100 games across five seasons for the Alex.

Oxford have not disclosed the length of his contract.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »