Sports Babble - sports forum
Oxford news - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet League One (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=79)
+----- Forum: Oxford United (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+----- Thread: Oxford news (/showthread.php?tid=12328)

Pages: 1 2 3

Oxford news - themaclad - 10-05-2023

Oxford United striker Matty Taylor, wing-back Djavan Anderson and winger Jodi Jones have been released by the League One club.

Taylor, 33, first joined his hometown club as a youth player and scored 64 goals in 164 games across two spells.

The striker spent the second half of the season on loan at Port Vale.

"Obviously Matty Taylor is a club legend and has been here in two spells since he was just a kid," head coach Liam Manning said.

"I am sure the fans will join us in thanking him for everything he has done for the club.

Oxford 'must learn from this season' - Manning
"The other players are also good people who we wish well for the future."

Dutch defender Anderson, 28, and Jones, 25, were both out of contract this summer.

Anderson made 30 appearances in all competitions after signing from Lazio last September while Jones featured only five times in the league before joining National League side Notts County on loan in January.

Academy players Slavi Spasov, Kie Plumley, Ben Davis, Yoav Sade and Will Owens have also been released.

RE: Oxford news - themaclad - 15-05-2023

Oxford United defender Ciaron Brown will face no further action by the Football Association in relation to allegations of spot-fixing.

The case related to suspicious betting patterns during Oxford's FA Cup third-round tie with Arsenal in January.

The focus centred on Brown's 59th-minute yellow card for a foul on Eddie Nketiah during the 3-0 defeat.

"It's good to finally get it over and done with," Brown said in a statement on the U's website.

"I knew nothing about the allegations at all and had absolutely no involvement."

The Northern Ireland international, capped 12 times by his country, added: "To have that hanging over my head for two thirds of the season was hard to deal with, but I fully understand that the FA needed to check all the evidence.

"I want to thank my family, and the club who have been totally supportive throughout this process.

"Now I just want to concentrate on my football and enjoy a successful new season."

RE: Oxford news - themaclad - 13-06-2023

Oxford United have signed Ruben Rodrigues after the Portuguese forward turned down a new deal at Notts County.

The 26-year-old scored 51 goals in 125 National League appearances in his three years with the Magpies.

He helped Notts secure their English Football League return, scoring an extra-time equaliser and netting in the penalty shootout as they beat Chesterfield in the promotion final.

"The club has big ambitions. I can't wait to get started," Rodrigues said.

"It's an exciting move for me. I loved my time at Notts County, and last season was amazing, but this is a chance to test myself at a higher level."

Oxford say Rodrigues has signed a "long-term deal" with the club.

U's head coach Liam Manning had previously said his side would need to be bolstered in "multiple areas" after they narrowly avoided relegation from League One last season.

'I like to nutmeg' - Rodrigues on his Notts rise
In Rodrigues, they have secured a player who scored 19 National League goals and provided 15 assists for Notts in the 2022-23 campaign.

He joined Notts in 2020, a move that saw him go from playing in the Dutch second division with Den Bosch to playing in England's fifth tier.

The Magpies said they made "a very strong offer to retain him" for their return to League Two.

"While we're of course going to miss his qualities, we respect his decision and wish him every success for the future," Notts said.

RE: Oxford news - themaclad - 15-06-2023

Oxford United have re-signed defender Jordan Thorniley on a "long-term agreement" after he was released by Blackpool.

The 26-year-old previously had a spell on loan with the U's during 2021-22.

Thorniley, who can play at centre-back or left-back, began his career in Everton's academy before joining Sheffield Wednesday in 2016.

He signed for Blackpool in 2020 and made 76 appearances for them, including 30 last season.

"This is a club I know well following my time on loan. To have the chance to come back is a fantastic opportunity for me and one I couldn't turn down," Thorniley said in a club statement.

"The way [head coach] Liam Manning wants to play really suits me and I believe I can develop here. I've been really impressed by the ambition of the club and can't wait to get started."

RE: Oxford news - themaclad - 17-06-2023

Oxford United have signed midfielder Josh McEachran from MK Dons on a free.

The 30-year-old, who played 43 games for the Dons last season, will join on a permanent deal when his contract with them expires at the end of June.

"When I found out Oxford United were interested in signing me, it was an easy decision to say yes," he told the club website.

"The club are putting together a really strong squad and I'm delighted to be part of it."

McEachran, who was born in the nearby village of Kirtlington, came through Chelsea's academy and made his senior debut in the Champions League under Carlo Ancelloti in 2010.

During the early stages of his career he had loan spells with a number of EFL clubs including Swansea and Middlesbrough, before joining Brentford in 2015 where he spent four seasons.

The midfielder played under Oxford United head coach Liam Manning at MK Dons in 2021 and says that was a factor in his decision to join the U's.

"Oxford is a city that means a lot to me and my family," he added.

"Liam Manning is someone I really enjoyed playing for during his time at MK Dons."

McEachran is Oxford's third summer signing and Manning believes his experience will be invaluable next season.

"Having worked with Josh, I know first hand just how good he is, both as a player and a person," Manning said.

"He has a fantastic ability to open games up and link the play. His vision and experience will be a real attribute for us."

RE: Oxford news - themaclad - 23-06-2023

Oxford United have signed teenage goalkeeper James Beadle on a season-long loan from Brighton & Hove Albion.

The 18-year-old, who played for England at this year's Under-20 World Cup in Argentina, will join the club on July 1.

"I'm excited to get started," Beadle told the club website.

"I met with Liam Manning [Oxford head coach] and was hugely impressed by his plans and how the club is set up."

Beadle spent the second half of last season on loan with Crewe Alexandra where he made nine appearances and kept three clean sheets before suffering an ankle injury.

The League Two side had been keen to retain his services for another season.

"James is highly rated and for good reason," said Manning.

"He's tall, athletic, commands his area and is a modern keeper who distributes the ball really well.

"Even though he's only 18, he has a fantastic attitude, and we can't wait to start working with him to continue his development."

Beadle is Oxford's fourth summer signing.

RE: Oxford news - themaclad - 30-06-2023

League One club Oxford United have signed Brentford right-back Fin Stevens on a season-long loan deal.

The 20-year-old Wales Under-21 international had a stint at Swansea City last season, making five appearances.

He has featured 10 times in all for the Bees since making his debut for the Premier League club in October 2020.

"Fin has a great attitude and a very bright future ahead of him," head coach Liam Manning told the club website.

RE: Oxford news - themaclad - 11-07-2023

League One side Oxford United have signed former Cardiff City forward Mark Harris on a "long-term deal".

The 24-year-old made 95 appearances for the Championship club in all competitions and had been a regular feature for the Bluebirds over the past two seasons, scoring seven goals.

"The manager [Liam Manning] told me all about the plans at the club," Harris told the club website.

"His style of football is hopefully going to really suit me."

Harris, who was part of the Wales national side at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, was released by Cardiff at the end of the 2022-23 season.

Oxford had been targeting another forward in the summer transfer window and head coach Liam Manning believes Harris is yet to reach his peak.

"Mark has a fantastic attitude and outstanding ability," he said.

"Technically he is very good, he is fast, he creates and scores goal and he is a player I know a lot of clubs were interested in.

"Signing a full international with his best years ahead of him is a big thing for us and we look forward to working with him."

Harris is Oxford's sixth summer signing.

RE: Oxford news - themaclad - 27-07-2023

Oxford United have signed Everton winger Stanley Mills on a season-long-loan deal.

The 19-year-old made 21 appearances and scored 24 goals for the Toffees' under 21-side last season.

He also made regular appearances in the first-team squad.

"I spoke to people in the game who all say that Oxford play decent football, which is going to suit the way I like to play," he told the club website.

"When I came down, spoke with the manager, saw the facilities, saw the pitch and the way the club is set up for the future, it all looks like a great fit for me.

"I can't wait to get started."

Listen to BBC Radio Oxford's The Dub podcast
Stanley becomes Oxford's seventh summer signing as head coach Liam Manning reshapes his squad for his first year in charge of the U's.

"The Everton Academy has a fantastic record, not just for bringing players through to play for their first team but also for giving them a love and passion for the game," Manning said.

"He [Mills] is a very creative player and he knows how to channel that to fit in with the way the team want to play, and that's exciting for us."

Manning highlighted on Tuesday that he was keen to add two or three new players to his ranks ahead of the League One season.

The club says Mills will play in their final pre-season friendly against QPR on Saturday.

RE: Oxford news - themaclad - 03-08-2023

Oxford United have signed Liverpool forward Max Woltman for an undisclosed fee.

The 19-year-old has been on trial with the U's and spent the first half of last season on loan with Doncaster in League Two where he made 14 appearances.

"This is a big step forward for me and I'm really excited for the challenge," he told BBC Radio Oxford.

"Hopefully I can get a few goals, help the team and we can go for promotion."

Woltman came through Liverpool's youth set-up and became a regular in their under-23 side in Premier League 2.

He signed his first professional contract with the club in 2021 and made his debut in the Champions League.

Last week Oxford United head coach Liam Manning said he was keen to sign two-or-three more players before they kick-off their new League One campaign.

He believes Woltman is a good fit for his side: "He is more of a development project than someone who can impact the team straight away," said Manning.

"But in terms of the personality, character and quality that he has shown us, he is the type of player that fits how we want to play."

Woltman becomes Oxford's eighth signing of the summer and the third new forward through the doors at the Kassam Stadium.

The U's get their new League One campaign underway on Saturday away to Cambridge United.

Listen to BBC Radio Oxford's The Dub podcast