Thread Rating:
TOKYO OLYMPICS
Watched the rugby sevens this morning. GB v USA game definitely not good for the blood pressure. Even Argentina joined in the fun, beating South Africa 19-14 and finishing with only 5 men.
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
Cabbage is still good for you
GOLD men's 4 x 200m freestyle.

Unfortunately, Andy Murray and Joe Salisbury were beaten by the Czech pair.

Geraint Thomas was 12th in road race last time I looked but even if he'd been further up the top 3 had already been decided.

Still, we're having a good games.

Rugby 7s. Beaten by New Zealand in the SF. No surprise really. Lost out to Argentina in the bronze medal match.
Lord Snooty likes this post
I see that supreme athletic figure Piers Morgan has given us his two pennorth on Simone Biles and her mental issues.
This coming from a man who wasn't mentally strong enough to take a bit of criticism from the breakfast telly weatherman.
theo_luddite likes this post
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Piers is world famous for being a hypocritical, self-serving, sycophant and surely deserves a medal for his attention-seeking performance.

Simone Biles took a very important decision to withdraw from the team event, because she is a true team player. She knew she was not at her best for whatever reason and could have cost USA a medal if she continued. At the very top, mental confidence is key and if it's not there, there's no amount of training that can bring it back on the day. An eminiently sensible decision that should be applauded.

Again I watched the rugby and GB were just not there either with too many unforced errors. Charlotte Dujardin has just won an individual Bronze for GB in the dressage.
3 on 3 basketball is pointless if you ask me.

I didn't realise Simone Biles was one of the victims of that dirty doctor. Poor woman. She's done well to do all she has. Hope she gets the best support.
ritchiebaby and Lord Snooty like this post
Annemiek van Vleuten of Netherlands mistakenly thought she had won Gold in the Women's Road Race, but "only" got Silver. She made certain in the Women's Time Trial, winning Gold by an amazing margin of 56 seconds. The Men's Time Trial was won by Primoz Roglic of Slovenia by an even wider margin of 61 seconds.

If you think 3 on 3 basketball is pointless, just wait until some bright spark at FIFA comes up with 3 on 3 football. You know, just like when we were young we used a garage door as the only goal.
Amelia Chaffinch and Lord Snooty like this post
The 3x3 Basketball makes sense though, it fits with the scheme of this Olympic of street type sports. What we are seeing is basically what you see played in cities, basketball in cities isn’t. Played on a full size court, its played on a Half court and the rules of change of possession are the same as what we are watching. I’m ok with it because the vast majority of people who play basketball all the time play it this way.
It's the final day of rowing tomorrow and it's been extremely disappointing for GB so far with one medal and only four events to go. We had 6 medals in Beijing, 9 in London and 5 in Rio, so I expect the reward will be a funding cut.
Yes it's an odd reaction to failure. Cut the funding instead of seeing where they can improve.
Like you say, rowing has been our top Olympic event for years.

Anyway, never mind all that. Throw some more funding at the BMX team. Big Grin

Do they have a BMX course at Oxbridge?
No Golden Slam for Djokovic. Beaten in the semis by Zverev.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »