Thread Rating:
It's a welcome Easter break but where does Stubbs go from here?
Before I head off with the wife for my own Easter 'chill out' in better climes, I think it's worth asking that searching question and, in fact, do we keep this manager if our season goes 'tits up' again?
I must concede that we are in freefall, in terms of recent Championship results, and this situation is unacceptable at any time of a football season but esp in this lower league. As a Hibs shareholder I'm certainly not enamoured with the poor position that Hibs have managed to put themselves in. We should be in overdrive at the 'business end' of the season and putting teams away who are, at best, mediocre, and in some cases have nothing to play for!!
In spite of this criticism, I must say I'm still a Stubbs backer and fan, and at this moment in time I feel I've no choice but to trust him in getting it right on the pitch and I reckon his 'last throw of the dice' is to restore all our injured players to full fitness after the Easter break. He knows he's up against it now and he knows that his ratings have plummeted in some Hibs quarters - that duff team result at Stark's Park (+ Cummings spectacular 'miss of the season') did not help his cause one jot!! Thumb down The pressure has increased tenfold during this past month!!
I'll reserve judgement until the 'dust has settled' on this roller-coaster of a season when he could still end up being an immortal Hibs manager - the 'ball is well and truly in his court'!! Cool
And to think only 2weeks ago you lot were touting him for the Celtic job. How quickly things change, you are a fickle bunch.
At the end of the day it will be all about what the goals he was set by the board were. If promotion was the goal, then unless he achieves that his position has to be in doubt.
You are indeed correct St Charles Owl! That goal was explicitly set out by Hibs CE, Leeann Dempster, at Hibs AGM in December - Hibs board's main aim for the season was to be promoted and all serious efforts would be made to do that by either winning the Championship or gaining promotion through the play-offs. Stubbs has previously acknowledged the backing and additional finance that Hibs board has provided to him in order for him  'to give it his best shot'. IMO second place in the Championship was the 'do minimum' requirement, bearing in mind that Rangers always had a bigger budget and the 'bread man' looks like he's done his job and delivered with the resources made available to him. However, if the Falkirk situation remains the same, IMO his position becomes almost untenable but his one life line will be if  he battles through the play-off mine field. Having watched Killie's gallant failed efforts v the Hoops on that defining Saturday afternoon, when the Scottish Premiership title was prob decided,  I can't visualise Hibs or Falkirk overcoming this physically strong Killie side! In our case I hope Stubbs proves me wrong. He obviously saves himself if he wins the Holy Grail but that's a big IF!
Going by his interview he seems to realise now that he has to change things with the remaining games left. He has stuck with the same core of players throughout often playing them out of position to keep them involved (why is he playing keatings in that number 10 style role,and a clearly off form cummings ?) and its resulted in a bunch of players that look shattered - mentally and physically.

I like stubbs and i think he is a good young manager but its a results business at the end of the day. There's still a lot to play for but I think if we don't go up he will likely step down at the end of the season.
ritchiebaby and 0762 like this post
I think he will be away one way or another come the season end. He will either have delivered on the promotion aspect and be chased by other clubs, probably from the English Championship or if not like Jim says he will stand down and still be in demand from other clubs and so further his career.......more to the point .... where will Hibs be and where are we going?

GGTTH
"FOREVER UNITED"
We certainly need the break and Stubbs has a lot of thinking to do in the next couple of weeks. He obviously knows his strongest team and continues to pick them even when they're seriously off-form and he doesn't use his substitutes to the full - I sincerely hope it's not because of concerns re Oxley's contact lenses! Stubbs has the right idea about how to play football, but has proven time and time again that he can be blinkered in his outlook. It's one thing defending and praising his players in public, but he's got to be ruthless for the benefit of the club when it comes to picking teams.

Also it would seem that the Hibs team can only raise their game for the Cup matches and not the bread and butter league matches. However as long as we're still involved in the play-offs, we have a chance of promotion, but changes must be made and certain players must get back to their best form for us to succeed.
Cabbage is still good for you
(21-03-2016, 00:11)exeterhibby Wrote: I think he will be away one way or another come the season end. He will either have delivered on the promotion aspect and be chased by other clubs, probably from the English Championship or if not like Jim says he will stand down and still be in demand from other clubs and so further his career.......more to the point .... where will Hibs be and where aae we going?

GGTTH

Did you notice Leeann Dempster sitting directly behind the Hibs dugout at Starks Pk early into the second half? She was there to indicate to various Hibs people (incl the players!) that she was not happy with what was happening v a very average Raith side and she was absolutely right to do that! The last time she made the same move was earlier in the season in a shit match at ER v Stranraer and it was ultra shit. Re your questions - Our 'project' continues with or without Stubbs. The mission statement remains the same and we will strive to improve with the appropriate backing from fans, shareholders, the Hibs community etc. Speculatively speaking, if Hibs did require a replacement manager, there will be a good number of reasonably qualified managers who would 'jump at the chance' to come to a progressive community footie club like HFC. The trick is choosing wisely.
Do you really think that having non footballing management watching the game has an intimidatory (positive or negative) effect on the players?

Maybe if she had a hunting rifle with a telescopic sight: if she had shot Cummings and he'd fallen toward that cross he would have scored.
You're totally missing the point re said comment and Dempster's close relationship with players and management alike since the season started. I won't even elaborate on it - it's just another one of these unqualified negative remarks (one of many tiresome patronising renarks!) re another footie club of which you know very little re it's inner workings and the people who operate within it! Thumb down Nuff said!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »