Thread Rating:
Charged with assault
Two Sheffield United players have been summonsed to appear in court over violence at the Championship play-off semi-final against Nottingham Forest.

Trouble flared after fans invaded the pitch when the Blades lost a penalty shoot-out at the City Ground on 17 May,

Nottinghamshire Police said Oli McBurnie, 26, and Rhian Brewster, 22, would be charged with common assault.

The players are due to appear at Nottingham Magistrates' Court on 28 July.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

That's ridiculous. I hope the ones who are bringing the assault charges are also in court for invading the pitch.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Think the lad who attacked Sharp has already been imprisoned, but in those circumstances they had to protect themselves although at times Oli is a bit of an idiot

(23-06-2022, 17:23)Lord Snooty Wrote: That's ridiculous. I hope the ones who are bringing the assault charges are also in court for invading the pitch.

I don't think anyone is bringing the charges, for assault like we saw from McBurnie, the Police do not need a victim to agree with or bring the charges. While I accept the self defence argument during these pitch invasions, what McBurnie did was over the top and looked like he was on the offence not defence in terms of who was attacking who. He has previous for this sort of behaviour, that doesn't help him.
Lord Snooty likes this post
An assault charge brought against Sheffield United footballer Rhian Brewster following a pitch invasion has been dropped.

The 22-year-old had been accused of assaulting a Nottingham Forest fan following the Championship play-off semi-final on 17 May.

A brief hearing at Nottingham Magistrates' Court on Thursday heard a charge of common assault had been discontinued.

The hearing took place in his absence.

Brewster's Sheffield United team-mate Oli McBurnie still faces the same charge and proceedings against him were adjourned by the same court until 4 August.

The court was told a review of the case against Mr McBurnie was also taking place.

Forest, who went on to earn promotion to the Premier League, won 3-2 on penalties after the semi-final tie against United ended 3-3 on aggregate.

Home fans then invaded the pitch and Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp was headbutted by a supporter who was later jailed.

A Championship footballer is to face trial over allegations he assaulted a fan during a pitch invasion.

Sheffield United player Oli McBurnie pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault by beating at Nottingham Magistrates' Court.

Nottingham Forest supporters ran on to the pitch following the home team's Championship play-off semi-final victory on 17 May.

The trial is due to start on 7 December at the magistrates court.

Forest, who went on to earn promotion to the Premier League, won 3-2 on penalties after the tie against United ended 3-3 on aggregate.

Home fans then invaded the pitch and Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp was headbutted by a supporter who was later jailed.

Oli gets off

A footballer has been cleared of assaulting a fan who invaded the pitch following a Championship play-off match.

Nottingham Forest fan George Brinkley said Sheffield United striker Oli McBurnie had stamped on him following the clubs' semi-final game on 17 May.

Mr McBurnie denied assaulting the fan and said he had hopped over his alleged victim to protect his injured foot.

He was cleared of assault by beating on Thursday.

At Nottingham Magistrates' Court, District Judge Leo Pyle said: "[From] what I've heard over the last few days, the prosecution hasn't proved their case to the required standard.

"The phone footage clearly shows that he [Mr McBurnie] pulled his left leg back and over Brinkley's pulled up leg."

Oli McBurnie
IMAGE SOURCE,JACOB KING/PA WIRE
Image caption,
Mr McBurnie had not been playing in the match due to an injury
The court previously heard a pitch invasion began at Forest's City Ground following the penalty shoot-out that saw the home team qualify for the play-off final at Wembley.

Mr McBurnie had not been playing in the match, and was wearing a protective boot on his left leg due to an injury.

The prosecution showed footage to the court filmed by a home fan, which they alleged showed Mr McBurnie stamping on Mr Brinkley while he was on the floor, with a voice off-screen saying: "The Sheffield United player has stamped on him."

After the video footage went viral, the court heard Mr Brinkley made a report to the police in the early hours of 19 May.

He said he had suffered bruising to his leg but had not taken pictures of any injuries.

The judge said: "For someone so wedded to his phone and social media, one has to ask the obvious question: why didn't he photograph these bruises?"

He added: "What this witness describes and what is reality as far as evidence is concerned seems to diverge."

The district judge had been urged by Mr McBurnie's barrister to find that "a degree of club bias" was responsible for accounts given by witnesses about the incident.

In her closing speech Lisa Judge, defending, said the complainant in the case had lied about the incident and shown malice by sending an abusive Instagram message wishing death on Mr McBurnie and his family.

Mr McBurnie told the court he was trying to find his balance and stay out of the complainant's way during the incident.

He said: "Literally there is no space. There is nowhere else for me to go but to the right-hand side. My left foot is on the floor within his two legs.

"I was using my arms for balance - it was kind of a hopping motion. It's hard to get your balance with so many people and obstacles in the way."

In a tweet after the hearing, Sheffield United said the club was "pleased to note today's verdict at Nottingham Magistrates' Court with regards to Oliver McBurnie".

Ridiculous that this went to court in the first place. Brinkley should now be dealt a lengthy banning order.

I'm not bitter about what happened to us, but Forest fans really are scum. The shittest fans I've ever come across. Worse than Leeds.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »