Thread Rating:
Everton vs WBA - Match Thread
We can't keep saying that, last night, was a game we would have lost. If it had not been for Everton somehow missing a penalty then we WOULD have lost. Pulis or no Pulis we would not have scored if we had played till Wednesday.

This place would have been in meltdown today and I am certain that us parking the bus and playing for a draw would have been mentioned many times but in a far different context.

Pulis has been a very lucky man against Hull and now, Everton. Hopefully he will continue to be until reinforcements arrive.

Let's see how we get on against a pumped up Blues and then Tottenham.
(20-01-2015, 23:32)tidy Wrote: We can't keep saying that, last night, was a game we would have lost. If it had not been for Everton somehow missing a penalty then we WOULD have lost. Pulis or no Pulis we would not have scored if we had played till Wednesday.

This place would have been in meltdown today and I am certain that us parking the bus and playing for a draw would have been mentioned many times but in a far different context.

Pulis has been a very lucky man against Hull and now, Everton. Hopefully he will continue to be until reinforcements arrive.

Spot on Tidy, a lot of fans now have their rose tinted glasses on. After a dire first half against Hull, the team would have been booed off at the break under Irvine. The hypocritical hoofball fans do frustrate me.

Looking forward to the Blues match, I expect us to play our strongest team so that we can progress to the next round, it will be interesting to see which team TP picks.
Zinman likes this post
(21-01-2015, 00:29)WeeWillie Wrote:
(20-01-2015, 23:32)tidy Wrote: We can't keep saying that, last night, was a game we would have lost. If it had not been for Everton somehow missing a penalty then we WOULD have lost. Pulis or no Pulis we would not have scored if we had played till Wednesday.

Spot on Tidy, a lot of fans now have their rose tinted glasses on. After a dire first half against Hull, the team would have been booed off at the break under Irvine. The hypocritical hoofball fans do frustrate me.

Looking forward to the Blues match, I expect us to play our strongest team so that we can progress to the next round, it will be interesting to see which team TP picks.
Good post Thumb up

My thoughts are, that considering Everton did everything the could to get 3 pts, we held them off. It wasn' t pretty, in fact a lot was boring, but we did get a point, and that with the other 4 that Pulis had helped us get, means instead of being bottom of the league without those 5pts, we are in a better position.

The team went out to frustrate Everton to get a point, and they did. Oh, thank you Maralles (scuse spelling) ... who missed the penalty. Laugh
I've never booed either an Albion player, an Albion team or an Albion manager, and I hope I never do. But we were heading in only one direction under Alan Irvine, and it's true to say the vast majority of Albion fans never wanted him in the first place after his nonentity failures with Preston and Sheffield Wednesday, so some people need to stop kidding themselves about that and accept that change was needed, and in a lot of people's opinion, especially Jeremy Peace's, someone like Tony Pulis was what we needed, someone who could get us to stop losing football matches in the manner that we surrendered a 2-0 lead at QPR. I don't see anyone here saying lucky Stoke for two deflected goals in their recent 2-0 win against us, or saying lucky Hull after Graham Dorrans missed a penalty at the KC which might have given us a 1-0 win. What we got was a weak response from Irvine and the players and more dropped points in subsequent games, like at QPR. Two away points at West Ham and Everton and three precious home points against Hull now puts pressure on other teams at the bottom. What do people want, pretty football taking us to the Championship? In the circumstances we're in, does anyone here have a better coach in mind to replace Irvine? I don't, so let's have names.
drewks likes this post
Morning All,
                I believe I posted in an earlier thread regarding a change of manager before we let AI go, and I said that, even though I have never been a great fan of TP, he was the best available manager to get us out of trouble and safe, and I still believe that to be true.
However, I cannot be happy with the style of the results while being happy with the result itself.
Pulis has openly said that he wants and we need fresh blood, and we are a long way off the finished product that he wants, and rumours about players seem to indicate he is looking to get ATTACKING players (wingers) with pace and ability to back up the strong backbone of defence.
IF this happens, and we play strong defensive footbal with a threat on the break, and midfielders who pass their way forward instead of Hoofball, then I for one will be happy.
The result at Everton was all important, but I was not happy watching the boring way we played, but will accept it is necessary for now.
Lets get a few more points on the board so we have a bit of room to relax a little, then see if we can improve the style of football.
If we drop back again, be prepared to watch the same tactic away from home in EVERY game, and maybe not much different at home.
Cheers,
              Kookiebags.
(20-01-2015, 00:36)Slick_Footwork Wrote: I don't understand the "i'd rather be watching good football in the lower leagues" thing...

If you go down, you lose your best players, go to lots of rubbish grounds, play against lots
of teams playing anti-football.

I've watched my share of League 1 and 2 on Sky and frankly, it's usually complete dross.

TP has come in with the club in the doldrums. We probably won about 7 or 8 league games
in the last year? We're not exactly going to be able to go to Everton and outplay them.

I don't want us to play dull football forever, but staying in the league is a platform to keep your
best players and buy better ones. As far as I can see, with a couple of more incisive attacking
players - that sort of counter attacking football could be okay to watch. Especially because if you
get one goal, the whole thing opens up.

The spirit and organisation was excellent today - the quality going forward will come. Apart from
Saido, we have little who offer and end product. If we had 1 or 2 more that did, counter attacking
football would be fine - especially away from home.

I don't get it either slick, Well said. Its actually why I joined this forum because I was fed up of the negativity from some fans and believe me I'm not a fan of social networks but I couldn't stand it any longer.

So to recap... Before TP came in we were losing games hand over fist and everyone was moaning and fearing relegation. In fact we've been struggling since the FA stole Hodgson and some people were even criticizing his style Doh

So forward to TP appointment the first thing he's done in a very, very short space of time is stop us conceding so many goals. At West Ham we came from behind to nick a draw something other teams were doing to us or worse, QPR, Austin anybody?

We have to be more dogged in defence and we do need to start there which although we know isn't pretty it's working already. So yes Hull were dire and as for Everton they threw the kitchen sink at us but we didn't buckle for once and ship the obligatory 2 goals they always seem to score against us and lets face it he's only been in charge for 2 weeks FGS give it time. Dodgy

The next concern is we need some new players we all know that but its January already and he's had such a short time span to assess and identify what he needs no point wasting money for the sake of it. The bloke's human he needs time and the board to back him. it seems JP is willing for once (hallelujah) probably cos TP told him before he took the job. TP is no shrinking violet, he's tough and he's proactive he is in the tech area relentlessly urging players on and barking instructions kicking every ball. How many of us wanted that attitude from our previous coaches? He will get results on and off the pitch name any manager out there available at this time that you think will have us playing like Barcelona and winning? Huh As for rather seeing us go down to the championship than staying in the prem and playing with guts and balls for a change (works for Chelsea) do me a favour the championship is not a place to play tippy tappy football believe me Doh In fact you might be better off supporting the Arse if its pretty football you want. TP's job is to stop us losing first then start concentrating on the more attractive football but he's a realist and Albion isn't a team full of Messi's and Van Persie's so I for one will take it anyway I can cos the feeling of winning even not losing makes me feel good come Saturday night when I can actually watch Sky Sports for a change Big Grin
drewks and Dingle-Dingle like this post
Well said, Val.
I was probably one of the negative posters you're referring to, and I WOULD personally prefer to watch the Albion in League 2, playing proper football, than the ugly stuff they played on Monday.
My main gripe, though, was that you actually get 3 times as many points for winning a game as you do for drawing, and there was absolutely no intention of going for a win (v Everton). If we had shown any desire we could have nicked a goal, and chalked the points up.
We would celebrate into the night if we heroically get 2 draws with ManC and Chelsea, or ManU and Arsenal, but it would have been a damn sight easier to have played Berahino upfront (instead of left back!) and at least tried to get a goal against a very beatable Everton...... and you get the same number of points.
(21-01-2015, 17:26)talkSAFT Wrote: Well said, Val.
I was probably one of the negative posters you're referring to, and I WOULD personally prefer to watch the Albion in League 2, playing proper football, than the ugly stuff they played on Monday.
My main gripe, though, was that you actually get 3 times as many points for winning a game as you do for drawing, and there was absolutely no intention of going for a win (v Everton). If we had shown any desire we could have nicked a goal, and chalked the points up.
We would celebrate into the night if we heroically get 2 draws with ManC and Chelsea, or ManU and Arsenal, but it would have been a damn sight easier to have played Berahino upfront (instead of left back!) and at least tried to get a goal against a very beatable Everton...... and you get the same number of points.

Quite right.
Drawing away at OT, Chelsea and Man City is the same as holding onto a 2 goal lead at QPR... Angry

Feckin Irvine... Whistle
You get no points for losing and you could soon have your League 2 wish and all the collateral damage it would bring for the club.

Thank you BBB, Aries, Kookiebags and valpayne for helping me retain my sanity.
We defended stoutly hurrah. We could have stolen a goal, we had chances. But as TP observed, when we get the ball we gave it back o them and so there was no real opportunity to take the game to Everton.

They have practice defence and improved a lot in week 1.
Maybe in week 2 they will practice keeping it a little - this should be enough to take the game to Birmingham this weekend.
In week 3 and in time for our home match v Spurs we will have enough discipline to defend, keep possession and turn it into attack.

Small steps, small steps.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »