Thread Rating:
The Hundred
A feast of cricket with world class players the 100, next year it will clash with The Olympics and the Premier Leasgue pls EFL start won't be watching
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

To be fair, it was always going to clash with the Olympics even as originally scheduled, there's no change on that front. I presume they're banking on most events in an Asian Olympics being held overnight and early morning BST, so terrestrial TV will still have evening slots free to show cricket.
I've got a feeling the extra year might see this one dead in the water.

There will be some cricket this year, be it friendlies, be it mini competitions, be it behind closed doors or whatever. There is appetite for that, and there will be HUGE appetite to get back what was lost for that to appear in its stead. Cricket can't improve on a base it doesn't have, so it will need to get that base back.

Mind, it is run by halfwits, so who knows?

I just miss it, miss it terribly.
Et in Arcadia Ego.

General football writing here
Would love to know if the ECB are going to go ahead with this weird idea. We already have County cricket, T20, One Day Cup etc. If they want to get people into cricket then they need to get either County, T20, One Day Cup and some Test matches on BBC/ITV or C4 etc. I got into cricket from an early age because I got bought a cricket set when I was young and I played the game and I also managed to watch England Test matches on C4 in the summer. I think you learn a game easier by playing it and understanding the rules. The problem is people think cricket is complicated and a lot of people are put off with Test and County matches as they go on for 4-5 days and that's why they need to get more coverage for T20 and One Day matches. When the World Cup final was on C4 and Sky last year it received huge viewing figures and got people interested. T20 games can be over in 90 minutes to 2 hours. One Day Matches take about 6-7 hours. So instead of setting up another format which is going to be a fail they need to invest money into T20 and One Day matches and stream them online on Youtube and get them on TV other than Sky etc.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
They are doing away with the word wicket if you get someone out it is called an out instead of a wicket

Under discussion, apparently, but no decision yet made. Their rationale is that the language of cricket is too daunting for newbies. I'd love to learn which sport on earth doesn't have its own slang and jargon that's confusing for new viewers Rolleyes
(06-05-2020, 08:44)Marco4 Wrote: I've got a feeling the extra year might see this one dead in the water.

Well, the extra year didn't see it dead in the water. We're now twenty-four hours away from the new era. It'll be interesting to see whether Freedom Week and the current heatwave combine to give this circus a boost from people who are just glad to be out and about again, and whether that translates into longer-term enthusiasm for the format and the wider sport. I still can't shake the feeling that a lot of it is going to boil down to well-paid pundits desperately trying to generate artificial enthusiasm for plastic rivalries and whimsical innovations amongst an uncaring public. Like Kerry Packer resurrected and handed a smartphone.
themaclad and Lord Snooty like this post
Anybody watching it then?
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Nope drinking acid, think Matt is though
Lord Snooty likes this post

(21-07-2021, 20:37)Lord Snooty Wrote: Anybody watching it then?

Yeah I watched it, I struggled to get my head around the concept at first while watching the Manchester Originals bat but when the Oval Invincibles went in for their innings it started to make sense. The graphics for the scorecard are the only problem in my opinion. 100 balls is technically 16 overs with 4 extra balls but over's don't exist and the bowlers can bowl either 5 balls or 10 balls and the umpire holds a white piece of card up to single change of bowler. The umpires did get a bit confused at one point over free hits.

The crowd at the Oval seemed to enjoy it and it was an exciting finish, so it may take off but it's still early days. I think the format is aimed at families. I was rather hoping the Manchester Originals were going to win, I was rather impressed by Kate Cross, she's a really good bowler.

The men's teams play tomorrow which should be even more interesting.
Lord Snooty likes this post
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »