Thread Rating:
Man Utd vs WBA - Match Thread
Penalty Gate.

A case of Premier League status. MN Utd have it and West Brom do not.

I am becoming disillusioned with Premier League football.

Totally bias and a farce.
That was a shame

Best performance I have seen for a while, not a bad player, Bartley was very good tonight and callagher very impressive!

Fook VAR then ?!
I absolutely loathe the PL and all it stands for. Nothing that happened tonight has changed my view, just reinforced it.
baggietrousers likes this post
The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train
This really is one of those days when you just want to pack in football altogether. I mean, literally, what's the point anymore? It was bad enough when you just had the bent refs to contend with, but now the big boys get nine lives for every decision too.

There's no enjoyment in this sport anymore. Sick of it.
Stairs, baggietrousers, BaggieSteve like this post
I wasn't particularly happy with the selection when I saw it pre-game. It was completely different from the side which showed so much pride against Spurs and I don't know why. Obviously we were missing Jake, but I didn't see why the likes of Robbo and Krovi who played so well against Spurs were dropped. I feel in particular for Robbo, who for me has been our best player this season and never gets selected...

So when I saw that XI, I feared the worst. I felt with a 4 man midfield against their 5 that we might get massacred.

So now, post-game, I suppose the positive is that the performance exceeded my expectations in that we kept the scoreline reasonable. In fact, we probably could've snatched something had the penalty not been chalked off. I have no idea why that was chalked off, because I couldn't see any evidence of Fernandes touching the ball on the replays. It was a joke of a decision.

That said, if the penalty had been given, it would've papered over the cracks of what was a quite dour performance. For me, this team simply don't look like scoring against anyone. This formation is reliant on having good wing backs who get forward. We don't have that, so there are simply too many men behind the ball. We are lacking options going forward and Perira and Grady, who were unjustly selected over Robbo and Krovi IMO, were again below par.

What really annoys me is that it's the 88th minute onwards and we keep tip tapping about at the back. Any coach worth their salt would push Bartley up front and knock some balls long. Does Bilic really think we're going to work an opportunity from open play in 3 minutes when we haven't been able to work one in 3 games? Even in the 93rd minute when we had chances to pump the ball in, we continue going short, with Ajayi and Bartley passing between themselves and the back. The game finishes after spending 2 minutes going side to side.

Where is the guts? The will to get a goal back? The desire to actually score?

Where is the player grabbing Bartley by the scruff of the beck and telling him to push up top and ordering Johnstone to launch it?

There's just no brains or bottle. For the ref to blow up like that, after going side to side for 2 minutes is criminal.
An awful lot of ex players who reviewed the VAR decisions and the ref's performance clearly agree the Man Ure penalty was wrong on 2 counts. Ball to Arm and a clear Foul seconds before.
VAR is now obviously being used as another way of manipulation. Another big nail in the.football coffin.
Ah well we dust ourselves down, get up train a little harder and get ready for the next encounter. WBA v S U & VAR.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
VAR to Coote. "Stonewall penalty but at the wrong end dipstick".
Var to Coote. "Ball to hand, accidental but at the right end this time so we can ignore it and the ManUre foul in the run up, so give the penalty".
Var to Coote "WTF, retake it until Man Ure score".
Var to coote "West brom on the break, stop the play even if you have to give ManUre a yellow"

Ad Infinitum.

Apparently Ole wants to put Coote`s name first on the team sheet.

DD Angry Angry
Ubique.
Say no more.........

DD Angry Angry
Ubique.
And this is why I am beginning to really HATE football. Didn't think my interest in and following of football could sink much lower. Another nail in the coffin. Angry Angry Angry

I thought VAR would level the playing field and make decisions more equal, open and transparent but no, the big six bias still continues to destroy the beautiful game.

And what's with the penalty retake ..... If a striker runs up kicks the ball and the keeper moves too soon or is off his line then yes retake but if the striker runs up, hops, jumps, skips, does his hair in order to dupe the keeper into moving too soon then that's not fair. The keeper already has a disadvantage, why not remove the keeper altogether or just award the goal and cut out the middle man. Better still give the FA's elite gentlemen's members club a one or two goal lead start cuts out the need for the effing ref to CHEAT.

Rant over .... This could be my final farewell. Take care everybody. Albion til I die
(23-11-2020, 14:18)Dingle-Dingle Wrote: Say no more.........

DD  Angry  Angry

As much as I'd like to believe this, DD, I think it's been proven to be a fake

(23-11-2020, 14:25)4evaabaggie Wrote: And this is why I am beginning to really HATE football. Didn't think my interest in and following of football could sink much lower. Another nail in the coffin.  Angry  Angry  Angry

I thought VAR would level the playing field and make decisions more equal, open and transparent but no, the big six bias still continues to destroy the beautiful game.

And what's with the penalty retake ..... If a striker runs up kicks the ball and the keeper moves too soon or is off his line then yes retake but if the striker runs up, hops, jumps, skips, does his hair in order to dupe the keeper into moving too soon then that's not fair. The keeper already has a disadvantage, why not remove the keeper altogether or just award the goal and cut out the middle man. Better still give the FA's elite gentlemen's members club a one or two goal lead start cuts out the need for the effing ref to CHEAT.

Rant over .... This could be my final farewell. Take care everybody. Albion til I die

I totally agree with you, 4Eva. My understanding is that VAR, like DRS in cricket, was brought into eliminate the really shockingly incorrect decisions - absolute howlers by the referee or umpire. In both cases, it seems to have gone way beyond that and now questions every decision by the official, to the point where you begin to wonder what his/her purpose is (I suppose someone has to toss the coin in football!). Goals are now being ruled offside for the most ridiculous, marginal reasons; instead of identifying a glaring issue which required a technological solution, the footballing authorities seem to have been given some technology and looked around to find a problem upon which they could use it. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I'm struggling to know what the major problem was that required this solution: football has always been full of post-match debate and disagreement on decisions, that was part of the fun. Like a lot of people, I'm rapidly losing interest.
talkSAFT likes this post
The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »