Thread Rating:
WBA vs QPR & Sheff Utd - Match Thread
(24-02-2019, 23:12)The Quantum Enigma Wrote: can`t believe i`m reading this
this season was basically a consolidation term after a woeful premier league campaign
we have a manager who is going to make mistakes
i`m not defending him but i am defending him his first major managers job
yes i have questioned his tactical nous
i`m not DM biggest fan but as a baggies fan
no i`m not happy with the certain formations he plays
the guy is learning and also suffering
we feel let down when we lose.....how do you think he feels?

i`m probably the only one on here that is praying we dont go up this season......Why?
as you phil have been advocating all season give the kids a chance
i would rather give the kids..and yes..they should be given a chance....in the championship
we aint ready for another campaign in the premier league with what we have.

please don`t think i`m having a go at anyone
but promotion would only end up with a 2019/20 season looking worse than Huddersfield

Like i've said many times our youngsters need a run of games, if we were building for the future I would be doing cartwheels.
Harper and Field have done a great job and pushed some of the old guard onto the bench. 
How many kept saying they were not ready, they have proved all they needed was a chance. 
We should have given Edwards a run as he was the best player pre-season and Darren has not given him a chance. Wilson (RB) should have had a few run outs before turning to Holgate as a short term solution. Howkins and Leko should also be at least on the bench. 
I would have been delighted to be mid table if we were building for the future. My respect for DM would have been tip top.
The only thing promotion would give us is more time and money to consolidate a rebuild 3 years - instead of the 1 year we have now. 
A lot of people on here have got me all wrong, I am patient if I can see and understand the plan. When we go gung ho for promotion with a bunch of pensioners and forget the rebuild I find it impossible to accept tactical stupidity that cost us points almost every week. 
And I will not accept pathetic excuses as to why errors and mistakes happen again and again. I may do a post with all the excuses - the only thing I will say is DM or GJ has never said any error or mistake was because they were naive or lacking experience.
If we lose against Leeds - at least get Edwards in the team. Amen.
(24-02-2019, 19:59)WBA-Josh Wrote: I’d like to see us tweak the system at home to 4231. Livermore and Barry in the middle, Phillips on the right, Murphy or Montero on the left, Harper as the 10 and Rodriguez or Gayle as the striker. I think that would give us a better balance where we can defend solidly with two banks of four and then attack with 4 attacking players and the full backs.

Away from home we then have the choice of 433/4141 and 4231 which can tweaked simply by how the opposition’s centre midfield is lined up.

Or we could just play 442, put our best players out and let the opposition worry about our set up or how we’re going to play, two banks of four with a midfield protecting the back four and turning defence into attack with two strikers who both have plenty of goals in them and will keep opposition defences on the back foot all game.
Beefy 1965 and drewks like this post
(25-02-2019, 03:38)aries22 Wrote:
(24-02-2019, 19:59)WBA-Josh Wrote: I’d like to see us tweak the system at home to 4231. Livermore and Barry in the middle, Phillips on the right, Murphy or Montero on the left, Harper as the 10 and Rodriguez or Gayle as the striker. I think that would give us a better balance where we can defend solidly with two banks of four and then attack with 4 attacking players and the full backs.

Away from home we then have the choice of 433/4141 and 4231 which can tweaked simply by how the opposition’s centre midfield is lined up.

Or we could just play 442, put our best players out and let the opposition worry about our set up or how we’re going to play, two banks of four with a midfield protecting the back four and turning defence into attack with two strikers who both have plenty of goals in them and will keep opposition defences on the back foot all game.

Very simple, and probably would be very effective, Aires.
I must admit, it IS frustrating when the 2 in charge cannot, or will not, see the blindingly obvious.
You've got me there, Phil! Thumb up
Does anyone want to use my season ticket? Apparently our season’s over so I don’t see much point in bothering any more.

While our home results have been bad we’ve still got 10 points from our last 5 games, we’re in 4th place and 4 points off second - maybe keep things in perspective?
aries22 likes this post
They say that ignorance is bliss - no wonder so many people are happy.
(25-02-2019, 03:38)aries22 Wrote: Or we could just play 442, put our best players out and let the opposition worry about our set up or how we’re going to play, two banks of four with a midfield protecting the back four and turning defence into attack with two strikers who both have plenty of goals in them and will keep opposition defences on the back foot all game.

Yes 442 would also work as long as we have the right personnel in the midfield 4. Last season when Pardew played 442, the big problem we had with it was the midfield. Phillips and Brunt were too one dimensional and Livermore and Barry didn’t always offer enough.  

For us now, if we were to play Phillips on the right and Murphy/Montero on the left then that would give us proper forward players to join up with the two strikers. The big question mark would then be who to play in the middle. As above, Livermore and Barry don’t offer enough in a 442. Barry likes to sit in whilst Livermore likes to play slightly ahead but doesn’t offer enough on the ball to justify a starting place in the system. Harper and Barry could be a good choice because Harper does like to get up and down the pitch and does a better job than Livermore in the 8 role. I can’t see Moore dropping Livermore to make that work though.

I think something along the lines of the following could work at home as long as the strikers can get proper service and we don’t get overran in the middle like Pardew’s team used to:

Johnstone
Holgate - Dawson - Hegazi - Gibbs
Phillips - Harper - Barry - Murphy
Gayle - Rodriguez
(25-02-2019, 17:56)WBA-Josh Wrote:
(25-02-2019, 03:38)aries22 Wrote: Or we could just play 442, put our best players out and let the opposition worry about our set up or how we’re going to play, two banks of four with a midfield protecting the back four and turning defence into attack with two strikers who both have plenty of goals in them and will keep opposition defences on the back foot all game.

Yes 442 would also work as long as we have the right personnel in the midfield 4. Last season when Pardew played 442, the big problem we had with it was the midfield. Phillips and Brunt were too one dimensional and Livermore and Barry didn’t always offer enough.  

For us now, if we were to play Phillips on the right and Murphy/Montero on the left then that would give us proper forward players to join up with the two strikers. The big question mark would then be who to play in the middle. As above, Livermore and Barry don’t offer enough in a 442. Barry likes to sit in whilst Livermore likes to play slightly ahead but doesn’t offer enough on the ball to justify a starting place in the system. Harper and Barry could be a good choice because Harper does like to get up and down the pitch and does a better job than Livermore in the 8 role. I can’t see Moore dropping Livermore to make that work though.

I think something along the lines of the following could work at home as long as the strikers can get proper service and we don’t get overran in the middle like Pardew’s team used to:

Johnstone
Holgate - Dawson - Hegazi - Gibbs
Phillips - Harper - Barry - Murphy
Gayle - Rodriguez

I'm with you 100% - I think the change in system offers additional cover for the full backs and with Murphy Phillips & Harper the boost on getting into the opponents half and attack with purpose. We have lacked this since Barnes left IMO. Darren has spoken about changing the way we play at home. Realistically we should have the ability to change at the drop of a hat. The thinking is all a bit rigid with no flexibility atm. Maybe Horses for courses may strike a cord? It's not to late to get auto promotion, but a run of wins starting on Friday is essential.
Zinman, I think I am a reasonable, level headed and fair poster, yea, we're fourth better than expected after the transfer window but the continued home tactics are costing us points, we could be head and shoulders clear ......... I still think we will struggle to go up and struggle even more to stay up if by some miracle we do make it .....
(25-02-2019, 14:29)Zinman Wrote: Does anyone want to use my season ticket? Apparently our season’s over so I don’t see much point in bothering any more.

While our home results have been bad we’ve still got 10 points from our last 5 games, we’re in 4th place and 4 points off second - maybe keep things in perspective?

4th place is better then everyone expected pre-season. At worst we are going to be in the play off's. It is a fight to get out of this league, nothing is a given. A few supporters expected the baggies to steam roller all the teams in this league. Some (not all) need to accept its not a party in this league. The baggies have the best squad, but fight, pace and enthusiasm has been lacking since Xmas. We're missing an ingredient to make the team tick consistently, loosing Barnes has been a major factor. It's not all about the formation 442 / 433 / 352 as lots keep blaming. Just my thoughts for what they are worth. 
Darren needs our support now more then ever.
wba1978 likes this post
Bloodhound, I never thought we would steamroller this league, I did not expect us to be as high as we are, DM has my support, but our home from is abysmal compared to our away from ... when you think most of your points should be won at home, then on that note we should be well clear ... we have tried playing out from the back, gave silly goals away, lost needless points ....... same mistakes over and over again.
(26-02-2019, 00:43)4evaabaggie Wrote: Bloodhound, I never thought we would steamroller this league, I did not expect us to be as high as we are, DM has my support, but our home from is abysmal compared to our away from ... when you think most of your points should be won at home, then on that note we should be well clear ... we have tried playing out from the back, gave silly goals away, lost needless points ....... same mistakes over and over again.

4eva when you have been stuck in this league for years as Wed have your expectations drop. I get frustrated when we have the best squad by a country mile and cannot get the basics right. If we could, we would be clear at the top as we all know. He is right about our lack of leaders or fighters on the pitch. I have said before Olsson, Fletcher & Evans "never give in" attitude has not been replaced. Barnes gave us a spark, but has now gone and Gayle must be wondering if its worth staying being played out wide. As for Darren like it or not he carries the can. He needs our support? we know exactly what the problems are and if he doesn't he wont be able to put things right will he? So whats the answer? support a manger who cannot fix the issues? Darren has signed 14 players? which one brings the qualities we are lacking as Bloodhound rightly points out - NONE of them. These people who say support him need to look at the facts. I still like the guy and respect him, but he is not cut out to be a manger.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »