Thread Rating:
WBA vs Sunderland - Match Thread
Hi Valpayne. Yes you're right I remember now the problem at the City game was that we started as a 442, but take it from someone who was there, we definitely did not take the game to them. In fact a 442 can often be more rigid and defensive than a 451 as you often surrender more possession, there tends to be bigger gaps between the lines, and it suits a more direct style of play as you leave 2 men up to collect the long balls. I think we saw this with Hodgson, and I think it is the reason why 442 is Pulis's preferred formation if he can get away with playing it.

As for the passing, I genuinely believe we must spend very little time on it in training as we are terrible. We certainly don't play football in dangerous areas. We never really look like scoring from open play and our goal on Saturday only came from a goalkeeping error which the majority of refs would probably have given as a foul (not that I think it was). If you think I'm just focusing on negatives then I guess I will concede that at least we're good at corners, but as Shania Twain said, that doesn't keep me warm in the middle of the night.
DannytheBaggie likes this post
(19-10-2015, 14:13)drewks Wrote: Thumb up Thumb up
Great debates on here folks; the very reason why this forum is simply THE BEST! Big Grin

(19-10-2015, 18:19)May68 Wrote: Hi Valpayne. Yes you're right I remember now the problem at the City game was that we started as a 442, but take it from someone who was there, we definitely did not take the game to them. In fact a 442 can often be more rigid and defensive than a 451 as you often surrender more possession, there tends to be bigger gaps between the lines, and it suits a more direct style of play as you leave 2 men up to collect the long balls. I think we saw this with Hodgson, and I think it is the reason why 442 is Pulis's preferred formation if he can get away with playing it.

As for the passing, I genuinely believe we must spend very little time on it in training as we are terrible. We certainly don't play football in dangerous areas. We never really look like scoring from open play and our goal on Saturday only came from a goalkeeping error which the majority of refs would probably have given as a foul (not that I think it was). If you think I'm just focusing on negatives then I guess I will concede that at least we're good at corners, but as Shania Twain said, that doesn't keep me warm in the middle of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNU3aIJs88g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8

Musical quotes galore today.

DD
DannytheBaggie likes this post
Ubique.
Meanwhile ..............

Brown Ideye's goal scoring form continues as he scores for Olympiacos in the Champions League Whistle
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
If he would have had service, good service, then I'm sure he would have scored goals for us. Same with Rondon, people claiming him to be a flop, if it carries on then he will be in the same position as ideye, and in my opinion you can't blame either of them. Ibra wouldn't score many goals in our team, would that make him a flop?
Dan, I've written that I don't rate him (at that fee) and that's not because of the goals he hasn't scored, and it's not to do with his workrate or enthusiasm either. But for £12m I wasn't expecting a player who couldn't control a ball properly, or a bloke whose 5 or 6 efforts at goal have been pretty "Championship" to me.
I'm far from being an expert (I posted about 4 years ago that Chris Wood would be a top Premier player!) But I commented on Salomon from what I've seen. He might turn out to be a decent-ish player when he fully settles in, but his 1st touch looks pretty poor to me for £12m. Obviously hope I'm wrong (again).
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
(21-10-2015, 16:16)talkSAFT Wrote: Dan, I've written that I don't rate him (at that fee) and that's not because of the goals he hasn't scored, and it's not to do with his workrate or enthusiasm either. But for £12m I wasn't expecting a player who couldn't control a ball properly, or a bloke whose 5 or 6 efforts at goal have been pretty "Championship" to me.
I'm far from being an expert (I posted about 4 years ago that Chris Wood would be a top Premier player!) But I commented on Salomon from what I've seen. He might turn out to be a decent-ish player when he fully settles in, but his 1st touch looks pretty poor to me for £12m. Obviously hope I'm wrong (again).

No that's fair enough mate and for 12 million we do expect someone to come in and hit the ground running. But the only real decent service I can remember Rondon having was away at Stoke when lambert crossed in a beauty and he scored the header. Other than that he's been isolated for the majority of games. I just think we're expecting too much from someone who has nobody within 50 yards of him sometimes and surrounded by 4 defenders
And now Marcus Rosenberg scoring form continues for Malmo as he scores in the Champions League,

You couldn't make it up could you Doh
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »