Thread Rating:
Match Thread - Birmingham
Well even though I doubt many are too interested in this after that performance I think it best for Thurnscoe that I update him with who has won what so far so that he doesn't have to start quoting French laws again on the match thread!!!! Doh Besides I have a duty to post it anyway!!

Attendance Smartass was won by Owlshighgreen.

Match Results has 4 results in with the Blunts game tomorrow, so this is where we stand on that one:

Offshore has already won one Smartass and still has a chance at another if Spurs win.
Thurnscoe, Wereham, Owlkev and SCO will all get a Smartass if Spurs win.
Washington and Pei could win one Smartass if the Blunts manage a win tomorrow.

I will update it tomorrow with the final results and for the benefit of Thurnscoe I will also update the OP with the latest BML table!!!
Had to read it a couple of times but I finally see what you did there Imre!!!
Imre varadi likes this post
I see both managers made comments about the state of the pitch at Hillsborough tonight. Is there a problem with the pitch that we have that other teams do not have?? I know its prone to getting waterlogged sometimes but just how bad is the surface??
So I get a Smartass   if the Blades win?

whoopee!!!
"God Save the King."
Sorry this is late, decided to go out straight after the game so had no chance to update you all on what I saw.

The pitch is terrible. It needs digging up, drainage sorting and then relaying. Our last game of the season is away so we could start work straight after leeds at home and get next seasons fixtures sorted to give us a couple of weeks at the start of the season (I believe Blackpool did something a couple of years ago where there first 3/4 games were away). However it's not so bad that we can blame it on our home form.

With regards last night, we actually looked good when playing the ball along the floor. Maghoma was looking dangerous first half and went close to getting the result for us but for a fine save from the opposition GK. This, however, was outweighed on the other wing with Maguire struggling to pull anything off (he did go close with a FK 2nd half), similarly, Palmer was hit and miss with poor crossing and tracking back but good link up play.

Our problems started when we started hoofing. Whether you like Nuhiu or not, we all know he cannot jump for shit so hitting the ball long two feet over Nuhiu's head was a terrible tactic, although Nuhiu got very little protection from Mr. Kettle as he was pulled, shoved (and sometimes just hacked down) all game.

Helan rightly came on for Maguire but he has very little attacking knowledge. Someone needs to tell him that when Mattock has the ball he needs to provide an option by running down the wing for the through ball and also when he has the ball at his feet he is allowed to run towards the opposition box and doesn't have to constantly turn and pass backwards.

May should have come on 5 minutes earlier because 1) it would have prevented the Keane injury and 2) he had very little impact because the game had passed.

Ratings:

Westwood - 6 - very little to do

Palmer - 5 - good link up play but poor crossing and tracking back when he loses the ball (often due to bad first touch)

Lees - 6 - defenssively solid but obviously was told to keep hoofing the ball

Loovens - 6 - see Lees

Mattock - 6 - good game from him

Maguire - 5 - just wasn't working for him. He knew it, I knew it, SG knew it, everyone knew it. Rightly subbed

Baker - 6 - good on the ball and has obvious class but you could tell he was nervous as without the ball he rarely challenged for anything, leaving Semedo exposed. Had one chance 2nd half but took a touch to try and get round the keeper instead of dinking it over, consequently losing the ball as it rolled out for a goal kick

Semedo - 7 - my MOTM won everything and is turning into a very good CDM for this league, however, he needs his midfield partner firing on all cylinders attack wise because he is very limited in that sense.

Maghoma - 6 - 1st half was almost unplayable and had a great chance when 1v1 which the keeper somehow managed to tip round the post, some would argue he should have hit it across the keeper but I think it was a harder chance to score as he would have had to hit the ball perfectly to bend it round the oncoming keeper

Nuhiu - 6 - some blame him for not heading but I blame SG tactics because Nuhiu is very good with the ball at his feet. Same with his shooting, he gets stick for these missed chances but our most clinical finishers are no where near when the chance is arising and this is very worrying. This "sitter" he missed I'm guessing was the header where he jumped a little too late and it looped over the bar, again, he was the only one within 20 yards of the ball. He had one shot on about 70mins (when keane got hurt i think) where he hit the ball through 4/5 bodies and missed by an inch, very good technique but couldn't quite find the corner

Keane - 6 - was there as an option for the ball in the build up but I can't remember him actually touching the ball in the box. Didn't shy away when he was tackled. I think he'll be a good addition to our squad. Injury a little worrying, he was being held up by the opposition GK before the physios came on.

May - N/A - had little impact
Helan - 5 - pace to burn but doesn't know what to do attack wise to make this pace count

Mr. Trevor Kettle - 3 - missed a clear handball on the edge of the area 1st half. 2nd half Nuhiu had the ball on the edge of the box and was brought down from behind no FK given Keane gets the ball and is also brought down still no FK. Ball cleared out for our throw on the edge of their box, a player goes down and Mr. Kettle gives the drop ball to Brum Doh very inept referee and at 48 he should be thrown onto the refereeing scrap heap
Imre varadi, St Charles Owl, A57owl And 1 others like this post
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
Just more blowback from years of piss poor management of the club..

As for the performance last night, yet even more points pissed away, nothing learned at all. I really wonder what our strikers have been doing for 6 months in training.

It's nice to finally not be a team like Blackpool, where we concede 4 every game and score 1. But shutting up shop at the back and not being able to score from open play is sooooooooo terribly poor. We've already had more pens this season than last.. what if we hadn't?

Still a much better season than the last, but we don't half struggle and choke, without a REAL manager or investment we're about to start taking steps backwards towards the pub league again. That is unless the midfield starts creating more and the forwards actually score the clean cut chances that go begging time after effing time.
A57owl, Towinjustonce, Imre varadi like this post
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
I think our main problem at home is getting the ball down, we just can't because of the pitch. We're therefore going to have to treat away days as home games and home games as away games. Get the ball on the deck away, play our flair players and play football. At home play the battlers who can cope with the hoooooooooooof ball we seem to like to play at home
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
The Same Old Song

I am a Professional Gambler and part of my job is trying to visualise how a match will go. Sadly, it is easy to predict how Wednesday home matches will go. The opposition will play three in CM to nullify us so there will be a low number of opportunities. Those that we get, we will probably miss & we have to hope the opposition don't sting us on the break.

The good news is my big bet on Under 2.5 Goal won, as did my small bet on 0-0.

The bad news is that the same story is being told in just about every home match. Odd bits of good passing, the occasional chance being created & squandered, the pitch was terrible, the ref was worse & lots of fans saying that we are playing well and should be happy we are mid table.

It wasn't a disaster. It was just so depressing. One point from home matches against Bolton & Birmingham isn't good enough. Some will say that they are form teams. Not away! Bolton's last other seven away boasts one win (at Millwall) and two draws (at Reading & Blackpool). Defeats at Charlton, Norwich, Huddersfield & Rotherham show they are a poor side.

Birmingham are little better. Wins at Forest & Huddersfield are more than counterbalanced by a draw at Leeds & a defeat at Blackpool.

Brum set their stall out to frustrate & they were largely successful. Our "new style" that SG promised turned out to be the same rigid 442 but hitting more long balls to Nuhui. We had our moments. Baker nearly put Keane through but was thwarted by a last ditch tackle. Maghoma cleverly worked an opening but the keeper tipped it round the post. Sadly that was to be our only effort on target all night.

Nuhui had one good chance and three decent chances but he didn't hit the target with any. I think that is the problem with Nuhui. Not that he doesn't score many, more that he misses the target so often.

Birmingham had one real chance when Mattock appeared from nowhere to rob Donaldson as he was about to tap in after Semedo had given the ball away on the edge of our box.

Westwood - 6 - one save of minor note
Palmer - 6 - kept £3.5m Gray pretty quiet
Lees - 6 - easy evening
Loovens - 6 - commanding but little threat
Mattock - 6 - one crucial tackle saved goal
Maguire - 4 - one decent shot but otherwise poor
Semedo - 7 - most effective player
Baker - 5 - one good pass then disappeared
Maghoma - 6 - only shot on target all night, created two chances for Nuhui
Keane - 6 - showed promise
Nuhui - 5 - tough night, worked hard, missed several chance
Helan - 6
May - 6

So it's over six hours without a goal that wasn't by a penalty in matches against four pretty poor sides at S6. We have failed to score a goal in open play in EIGHT of the last nine home matches. At what point does SG realise that a rigid 442 with two wingers isn't working? Gary Rowett out thought him last night (as did Neil Lennon) by playing three in CM. Without some pace up front, teams can play a high line and our threat is limited to half chances, which we rarely take.

Only Stevie May has scored a goal from open play for us at S6 since September & he spent most of last night sitting on the bench. Fans want goals, they want excitement and we are providing little of either for the home faithful.
Thurnscoe_OWL, Imre varadi, St Charles Owl And 4 others like this post
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
"I think that is the problem with Nuhui. Not that he doesn't score many, more that he misses the target so often."

The problem with Nuhiu is Nuhiu!!!

He's just not good enough.

And thurnscoe. You stop making excuses for nuhiu. You too imre. You hear me?

(correct answer: "yes, Sir.") Whistle Whistle Whistle
"God Save the King."
(28-01-2015, 17:55)Imre varadi Wrote: I cant understand why you put most effective player semedo ? where we that bad that it looked like the only goal would come form his feet ? surley we are never effective in attack when semi plays ? he is a good solid player but he cant shoot or attack the defenders ? hes my major change to the side !! bring back hutch and lee and take semi away !!!

And as for Nuhui ive always said hes for away games and 2o minutes at home only if we are winning !! starting him at home as only worked one time this season when hes scored of all things  Huh  but i wouldnt be as Harsh as ( bertie blade  Sick ) i think he gives his all and is worth a new contract because he has his uses  Thumb up  scoring a hatfull of goals isnt one off them  Whistle

Semedo was effective breaking play up & finding a more creative player.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »