Thread Rating:
Carroll
(30-04-2022, 12:38)Blue Baggie Wrote: I'd like to wait and see who replaces him. I cannot see how we could get anyone of his standard for free, even if they want a reported £20K/wk.
I don't think that reported figure is correct, it's rumoured he gets £2K/wk now (vs £1K/wk at Reading) I think he is worth £10K/wk on as a pay / play contract that protects us against any future injury issues.
When you look at Dike and Grant costs Andy Carroll is simply a bargain.
Let's see what Bruce gets in during the rebuild.

And Bruce's idea of a replacement is Zohore.
Steve your deluded. 
Lai loves you though.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
Zohore isn’t a replacement by choice, Zohore still has 12 months on his contract and no one will buy him, so we would have to pay him off.. if he’s on 20grand a week we would need to pay him nearly a million quid. No chance of that . Carroll costs us nothing. We need the money for other positions especially central midfield. There will be players paid off and there will be a lot of changes but to make out Bruce is at fault over Carroll is wrong the fault lies with whoever bought in Zohore.
I really didn’t want Bruce but he deserves the chance to do what 3 other managers couldn’t or wouldn’t do and bomb out some of these useless players. Remember our last 3 managers had a transfer window and still kept hold of these players.
(02-05-2022, 11:48)wba13 Wrote: Zohore isn’t a replacement by choice, Zohore still has 12 months on his contract and no one will buy him, so we would have to pay him off.. if he’s on 20grand a week we would need to pay him nearly a million quid. No chance of that . Carroll costs us nothing. We need the money for other positions especially central midfield. There will be players paid off and there will be a lot of changes but to make out Bruce is at fault over Carroll is wrong the fault lies with whoever bought in Zohore.
I really didn’t want Bruce but he deserves the chance to do what 3 other managers couldn’t or wouldn’t do and bomb out some of these useless players. Remember our last 3 managers had a transfer window and still kept hold of these players.

To be honest, Zohore isn't a replacement 'by Choice'.... Zohore isn't a replacement, full stop.

You're right, wba13, that Bruce is in no way responsible for the situation insane with Zohore's contract but as the person responsible for a self declared "rebuild" for next season that will deliver promotion, it should plainly obvious that Zohore has no future with the club and will contribute nothing, unlike Carroll. If his real desire is to have only one big striker - Dike - and to get rid of both Zohore and Carroll, then I understand his decision to release Carroll. However, to keep Zohore and ditch Carroll makes no sense; I know that Zohore has another expensive season ahead, playing occasionally for the U23 team but I expected Bruce to make the case forcefully to pay up his contract -as expensive as it is - and retain the undoubtedly superior Carroll. Is that difficult to achieve with the Board? - definitely. Do I think Bruce had that forceful conversation? - no. Why not? - because Bruce is desperate to keep this job and no other club is stupid enough to employ him.

I totally agree with you that we need money to strengthen in other areas, especially putting some creativity in midfield but Lai personally sanctioned the purchase of Dike and, for the sake of, as you say, about £1million, he could solve the ridiculous issue of Zohore. I wanted Bruce to make that case to Gourlay but I strongly suspect he caved in when told 'no'. Strong leaders make the case for the right decision and don't go away at the first rejection, Bruce has never struck me as that type of leader.

Of course, if the club had had the sense to accept an offer for Johnstone in January, as they should have done considering he said he was leaving, then even an offer of £6million would have resolved the above issue. We said we wanted about £10million and clubs said "forget it, we'll wait until he's a free agent and sign him for SFA". Which is exactly what is going to happen.

I do fully recognise that Bruce is neither responsible for the purchase of Zohore nor the stupid contract he was given but I just feel this is another in an increasing long line of poor decisions that he has made, and continues to make.

For all our criticisms of him, I'd much prefer to have retained Jordan Hugill than Zohore; he may have been a somewhat ineffective striker but he always gave 100%. Zohore just can't be arsed and for that alone we should get rid.
Blue Baggie likes this post
The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train
I am prepared to wait and see what the squad looks like come September.
I am not a fan of Bruce but it is what it is and so no point moaning about that anymore.

Zohore is rubbish but we just can’t get rid of him.  If we kept Carroll and still have Zohore hanging around that’s 2 strikers that could take a hefty salary for being back up players.

I’m hoping Bruce is going to polish up the turd that is Zohore and con another club this summer to take him. He can then spend on a new, hopefully better, fitter and younger striker to compete v Grant, Dike and Robinson rather that suck the blood out of the club from the dug out.

I think Bruce will magic a team up and we will be there or there about next season.

My real worry is we get promotion and they extend his contract again!!!
Blue Baggie likes this post
(02-05-2022, 15:54)Stairs Wrote: I am prepared to wait and see what the squad looks like come September.
I am not a fan of Bruce but it is what it is and so no point moaning about that anymore.

Zohore is rubbish but we just can’t get rid of him.  If we kept Carroll and still have Zohore hanging around that’s 2 strikers that could take a hefty salary for being back up players.

I’m hoping Bruce is going to polish up the turd that is Zohore and con another club this summer to take him. He can then spend on a new, hopefully better, fitter and younger striker to compete v Grant, Dike and Robinson rather that suck the blood of out club from the big out.

I think Bruce will magic a team up and we will be there or there about next season.

My real worry is we get promotion and they extend his contract again!!!

The bigger worry is if we don't get promotion. How do we survive without the £50m parachute payment and an owner who has no cash. I can only see doomsday looming.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
time to do a villa (apologies for swearing) and turn to the academy. blood the youngsters fearless fit and young. with a few experienced heads in the mix
Oh no I forgot any of our shining lights in the academy a la Izzy Brown are stolen by chelski et al and then plunged into obscurity rather than being allowed to develop with us
because that's what the greed league does to us time and time again Sad

my Canadian mate from work feels my pain as a baggie supporter so much he actually said why don't I jus start supporting a team that wins???
:-o I had to remind him his oh so obvious choice of man utd has also developed a passion for being a bit crap lately since fergie left in fact Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »