Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
Hibs v Morton - 24/02/16
Aye, if 18 or 20 in the league that's a different kettle of fish.
IMO too many teams in that set up Worthing Ger - means too many meaningless matches! I'd prefer a 14 club top league and that would accommodate most of the clubs that could transfer from the Championship and compete fairly well in the Premiership.
wait till after this weekend when we will only be 5 points behind.GGTTH
Personally I like the playoff and I think the way the ties are structured still rewards a team for finishing 2nd rather than 3rd or 4th. It's probably better for players too because when there was only 1 promotion spot available, teams who weren't in the running but looked safe from relegation could dump most of their squad half way through the season to cut costs and just get by on whoever they could get to play on the cheap.

The only real problem with it is that it's inherently designed to favour the top flight team, but that was the only way to get the top flight clubs at the time to vote in favour of it.
(25-02-2016, 21:15)torquayhibby Wrote: wait till after this weekend when we will only be 5 points behind.GGTTH

That was the expectation prior to the Morton game. Best to count the points you have rather than ones you don't.
You're right re the self-preservation philosophy of the top flight clubs El Car in finally favouring a play-off scenario and Rod Petrie was one of those club officials who favoured this advantage being given to the top flight clubs at that time - how ironic!! As previously also mooted by Saint Charles Owl, the play-off situation should at least result in there being another promoted club from the Championship, unlike the current biased set up!
Surely the championship sides should be banging down the door re play offs and the lopsided crux of it. Given that reconstruction is inevitible, clubs should be using their voice for a change in the System. For me i would prefer to see a championship club to go up via the playoffs. A relegated prem club gets their parachute payment anyway, so straight away they have an advantage, and most importantly it will shake up the championship season on season.
(25-02-2016, 16:58)TheWorthinGer Wrote: I'm not a fan of 2nd - 5th competing for a play off: it becomes an end of season split almost.  There's just something wrong with the whole top half of the table (bar the champions who've been promoted) having a chance of promotion after the season ends.

I'd rather a two up two down system or a play off final between 2nd and 11th.

Downtrodden Editors on here today due to the fact they had assumed the three points and the shock of a heavy landing is reverberating.

I think if ye look back, the downtrodden editors on here rarely,if ever, assume the 3 points. We like tae think we'll get them but we never take anything for granted. We've miss fired in front o' goal so many times this season it was bound tae come back and bite us on the erse eventually. Regards, the editor
0762 likes this post
(25-02-2016, 23:02)Paigntonhibby Wrote:
(25-02-2016, 16:58)TheWorthinGer Wrote: I'm not a fan of 2nd - 5th competing for a play off: it becomes an end of season split almost.  There's just something wrong with the whole top half of the table (bar the champions who've been promoted) having a chance of promotion after the season ends.

I'd rather a two up two down system or a play off final between 2nd and 11th.

Downtrodden Editors on here today due to the fact they had assumed the three points and the shock of a heavy landing is reverberating.

I think if ye look back, the downtrodden editors on here rarely,if ever, assume the 3 points. We like tae think we'll get them but we never take anything for granted. We've miss fired in front o' goal so many times this season it was bound tae come back and bite us on the erse eventually. Regards, the editor

The first few posts on this thread were confident of victory.  Feel free to edit them to suit.
Huge applause re that frank and accurate reply Paigntonhibby! Thumb up We're Hibs fans and only Hibs fans can really appreciate the trials n tribulations of supporting our beloved football club and we most certainly take nothing for granted as we've seen it all before when it all goes wrong. However, our hopes and ambitions will not diminish as long as the Hibs team keep going with the positive spirit that we've observed for most of this season.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed