Thread Rating:
Here's a good summary of that Scott Allan fiasco!
Exeter you may not have won the league but in selling those players you probably threw away any chance if winning hibs holy grail the Scottish cup and you done that selling to your immediate rivals for that trophy seeing as they were most likely the teams you were going to have to beat.
You mention an orchestrated manoeuvre by a club well aware of our threat to them in the upcoming season and that leaving a bad taste in the mouth BUT moving closer to home some of the tricks pulled by our own board have left a lot of us BOAKING.
Over the years Hibs fans have had to take a few sore ones, I well remember being gutted when Rod sold Gary O`Connor (our top goal scorer) the week before we were due to play Hearts in the semi final of the Scottish cup. Remember Rod Petrie telling us that we didn`t need to sell players then letting Steven Fletcher go a few months later?
You are quite right in your condemnation of Rangers, it is no coincidence that both they and Celtic make it common knowledge when they are interested in players and this inevitably leads to an unsettled player who submits a transfer request.
Our board, instead of saying Allan is not for sale, pussy foot around and tell us we will not sell to Rangers. That statement is BULLSHIT, we are all afraid that Rangers will up their offer by another |£50,000 or so and out board will grab it pretty quick.
If that happens the fans will see exactly the contempt they hold us in, so much for the promises and guarantees they have been giving us over the last couple of seasons. As the saying goes "time will tell" don`t hold your breath though.
(28-07-2015, 21:16)Fredstersafool Wrote: Exeter you may not have won the league but in selling those players you probably threw away any chance if winning hibs holy grail the Scottish cup and you done that selling to your immediate rivals for that trophy seeing as they were most likely the teams you were going to have to beat.

Like most clubs in Scotland we are a selling club, unfortunately, Fred. We cannot compete with wages from the big 2 as it was then so players will wish to move if Celtic or the defunct Glasgow Rangers came in for them. This year was different in that the priority was promotion which has been unsettled by the goings on concerning SA. Even if we had managed to hang on to those players of old the chances of winning the Scottish Cup were still extremely thin whereas this season we had a good chance of challenging for promotion.

GGTTH
"FOREVER UNITED"
(28-07-2015, 20:57)exeterhibby Wrote:
(28-07-2015, 20:47)Fredstersafool Wrote: What's this pish about not selling yer best players to an immediate rival 0762(or Tynie)when hibs were in the top division did they not sell there top players to both Celtic and Rangers??

Slight difference Fred in that in the premiership at that time we had no hope of challenging the Glasgow teams and the money was useful. This year our main rival is sevco and we had a chance of giving them a good run for their money towards the ultimate goal of promotion.

GGTTH

Good comments exeterhibby. The current formal club statement spells it out in black and white! Immediate rivals are generally classed as football clubs that are close to us and vying for position in the relative league, not cup tourneys. For example, about three seasons ago a club like ICT would not entertain a Hibs bid for their striker, McKay, because we were classed as a close rival in that league. Hibs policy is no different to that policy and other Scottish footie clubs apply the same transfer policy unless I guess their situ changes and they are desperate for the money.
Absolutely no argument from me there Exeter and I like hibs stance on not selling to gers but you honestly believe if they said £1m hibs would say no?
(28-07-2015, 21:32)1Wattie Wrote: 0762,
You mention an orchestrated manoeuvre by a club well aware of our threat to them in the upcoming season and that leaving a bad taste in the mouth BUT moving closer to home some of the tricks pulled by our own board have left a lot of us BOAKING.
Over the years Hibs fans have had to take a few sore ones, I well remember being gutted when Rod sold Gary O`Connor (our top goal scorer) the week before we were due to play Hearts in the semi final of the Scottish cup. Remember  Rod Petrie telling us that we didn`t need to sell players then letting Steven Fletcher go a few months later?
You are quite right in your condemnation of Rangers, it is no coincidence that both they and Celtic make it common knowledge when they are interested in players and this inevitably leads to an unsettled player who submits a transfer request.
Our board, instead of saying Allan is not for sale, pussy foot around and tell us we will not sell to Rangers. That statement  is BULLSHIT, we are all afraid that  Rangers will up their offer by another |£50,000 or so and out board will grab it pretty quick.
If that happens the fans will see exactly the contempt they hold us in, so much for the promises and guarantees they have been giving us over the last couple of seasons. As the saying goes "time will tell" don`t hold your breath though.
We are all waiting to see if the board have grown a pair Wattie, and don't cave in if another 50k extra is on offer.   Huh

(28-07-2015, 21:44)Fredstersafool Wrote: Absolutely no argument from me there Exeter and I like hibs stance on not selling to gers but you honestly believe if they said £1m hibs would say no?

I think that would have been different Fred. Someone mentioned Celtic and their incremental offers for Ciftci yesterday but at least they started just under a million. The main problem here was they gave a derisory offer and weren't even going to pay the paltry amount in one go Thumb down Thumb down .  It would be a little like myself going into the maserati dealership tomorrow, saying I'm a little skint but could offer them 15k for a 120k car. I'd be shown the door quite quickly!
"FOREVER UNITED"
I'd just add that Rangers don't have the money anyway. So I'm not holding my breath in great anticipation. I believe Hibs don't trust Rangers and their current half-baked payment proposals because they know RFC is not in good financial shape anyway. There is still a fairly strong belief in Glasgow football circles that King will follow an Administration route at some point because of the precarious position that his club is still in! Watch this space. As to Hibs previous transfer misdemeanours that you mention, I'd like to think that we've moved on to a more stable and accountable period from the one that you describe from 6-7 years ago. Only time will tell if we can finally turn the corner and Stubbs' already one year plan starts to pay dividends on the pitch. There's no point looking back at the past - KEEP THE FAITH!!
(28-07-2015, 21:04)supercooper Wrote: Who the hell is Sevco?

Stubbs is the only person screaming about this. Other than the bids not a comment from Rangers. And was there not a gentlemans agreement that he could leave for a bigger Club?

I thought you'd know sc.....sevco scotland limited changed to The Rangers....the newest side formed in Scottish Football  Tongue
"FOREVER UNITED"
Think we all know every club has there price and if that's right they'll sell immediate rivals or not,like I say I do like the stance they're taking on this,I'd also like to add that Allan's words have been bullshit though I.e I'm staying to see it through with Hibs
At the tail end of last season Scott Allan said to Hibs fans that he'll gladly see out his contract to the very end. So why hand in this transfer request eh? Just another typical football player either influenced by his agent or just selfishly thinking about himself! He seems to be a bit of a drama queen if you look at his past terminating antics at Tannadice and The Hawthorns - there is certainly a common factor in there and my bet would be placed on his agent!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »