Thread Rating:
Here's a good summary of that Scott Allan fiasco!
This an excellent official summary of Hibs fans' sentiments on the Bounce forum and I must say their Admin people should hand in a copy to Hibs CEO who should pin a copy of it on every wall of the Easter Road Stadium. It's a good read for any interested Hibs fan on this board with good references to Rangers financial dealings that covered the transfers of their younger players, Lewis McLeod and Charlie Telfer - enlightening stuff!

We don't often make statements about things unless we feel there is an absolute need. Today there is an absolute need for us, as a support, to make it clear how we feel about the Scott Allan situation.

The internet has brought many benefits to modern life. Without it there would be no means of communicating instantly in a wide range of ways with people from every community on the planet. There would be no Hibees Bounce for us to even be having this discussion. However, that same internet and all its benefits also brings with it a platform for every lazy journalist, every sad internet troll getting kicks in an otherwise sad life and every unscrupulous football agent/player/club/supporter to destabilise clubs, unsettle players or simply annoy the hell out of other supporters.

That 48 hour period that preceded Saturday's match has seen the worst of the internet in all its gory. Yes, gory!

Scott Allan, a player much admired and appreciated by the Hibernian support, was a young man with no football profile to speak of and a career going nowhere this time last year. He was given a fantastic opportunity to rebuild his football prospects and start playing on a regular basis thanks to the connections and good judgement of the Hibernian management team. He has thrived in the Hibernian family and his star is on the rise. It has been a good fit for both parties and it can only continue to get better. Scott is good for Hibs and Hibs are good for Scott.

However, every story needs its pantomime villain and this is where that newly formed football club, The Rangers, enter stage left. In a manner that is somewhat familiar, this GRFC tribute act seem to think they have a right to interfere with the business of direct competitors in a league they need to get out of this season - anything short of that will be deemed wholly unacceptable by the "The Rangers" hordes, those who do their bidding in public and in private and those who have put money into this new club. They appear to believe they have a divine right to unsettle and then sign Scott Allan.

Their actions in those last 24 hours have been highly questionable. The two sides clashed at ER at the end of that 48 hour period and they chose this juncture to start 'stirring the pot' when the transfer window has been open for weeks. What a coincidence eh!!!! They have been rightly rebuffed, and exposed, by Hibs CEO, Leeann Dempster, after what can only be described as a derisory and insulting offer for the player. They have clearly only taken that step to bring the discussion, speculation and phoney war out into the open.

In the last year, The Rangers have sold Lewis McLeod - a player both younger, less experienced and less decorated than Scott Allan - for a deal thought to be worth £1.3 million with add ons included. Ten times the bid they have made for Allan. In the last year they have been awarded £200,000 compensation for Charlie Telfer, a player who has played ONE game for The Rangers. Those statistics in themselves illustrate only too well the contempt that Hibernian have been shown by these chancers doing their bidding.

Hibernian, via Leeann Dempster and Alan Stubbs, have said all the right things. We hope very much that this is not their side of a phoney war and that they are as genuine in their actions as they are in their words. This is NOT an attack on either of those individuals. It has to be made clear that the contribution both have made to a significant improvement in club morale, relations with the fans and hope for the future is gratefully acknowledged by the majority of the support. They have been good for Hibs and Hibs have been good for them. Hibs star, like Scott's, is on the rise. Stubbs' star, like Hibs one, is on the rise. Leeann's star, like the club she now runs, is on the rise. Moving forward together, special things could well be achieved and unity is the key element.

And this is where this Editorial comes in.

How the club (Leeann, Alan and anyone else involved in decision making) manage this situation ,in the next 48 hours and 48 days, will have a significant impact on all our chances of moving forward as one. Despite the disappointment of not being promoted last season, most feel we are within touching distance of making that happen. Most people are on board. There are tangible signs of a feel good factor that could be undone with one wrong step. Increased ST sales, increased home shirt sales, away shirt sales...shares. But more than anything, far more than anything...trust!!!

Scott Allan also has a responsibility not to bring himself and those advising him into disrepute. As already indicated, he has been good for Hibs but he cannot forget the part Hibs have played in his career resurrection. Hibs have been good to him. Stubbs has been good for him. Some football events last week have shown that behaving in a certain way can engineer moves for you, if you really want it and the club you are going to have the funds to make it happen at any price - eg Raheem Sterling's move to Man City. His name is mud in Liverpool for ever more. Also the fact of the matter is Rangers FC don't have the money to pay the market value. Some supporters might be worried about us forcing an unhappy player to stay at the club but there is no indication that Scott is actually unhappy. And it IS possible for a player to shine for a club even after having a "dream move" turned down. Sterling's former team mate Luis Suarez showed that in the most emphatic manner in his last season at Anfield. It comes down to the professionalism of the player and the substance of the man.

We didn't need this distraction last Thursday, Friday or any other day between now and the end of August. The Rangers 2012 tribute act know this. However, we also cannot afford, in every sense, to sell him to them. Whatever happens between now and the close of the transfer window that one outcome MUST NOT HAPPEN.
hfcbounce likes this post
A long winded way to have a pop is it not? He would have been a nice addition but i cant see him walking straight into the Rangers side. Our midfield is quite strong judging by the last 2 games i have watched.
There is a counter argument that a bidding club like Rangers could have quite easily discreetly gone to Hibs and basically asked the question, 'This is our bid (or max bid for that matter), do we any chance of being successful"? The Hibs answer would have been a resounding no and Gers/Warburton would've moved on to other possible transfer dealings and ructions, like the ones we observed last week, would've been minimised in a joint act of discretion. They didn't do that for obvious reasons/motives!!
Sums it up quite well I'm 07
Just out of curiosity 0762, where was your sense of righteous indignation when you were celebrating Celtic's signing of Nadir Ciftci after a series of incremental bids that were conducted very much in the public eye?

I mean, what really is the difference between this and hundreds of other high profile transfers bids every year that are widely covered by the media prior to any agreement being reached? Except for the fact that leaked confidential information from Ibrox has become the bread and butter of Scotland's gutter press and 'independent seekers of truth' on the internet, that is, which makes the condemnation of any information leaking from Rangers in relation to this pretty ironic.

And what about the persistent rumours of interest from Celtic? Who's to say it's not your club who's been leaking information about the bids in an attempt to provoke a higher offer from Celtic. They've got a history in recent times of throwing more money at players we've been linked with, so who's to say that wouldn't happen here? What benefit does it do Rangers to have the amount of the bids known by the public? It's only really Hibs who can gain from that in any way. And the person who's provided the most column inches on the whole thing is Alan Stubbs, who has repeatedly spoken to the media about it. We don't even have to try to pique the player's interest because as a free agent last summer he was happy to talk to the press about his desire to join up at Ibrox, but of course Ally decided he wasn't worth a bid when there were 30-somethings out there to provide 'experience'.

Moving to Hibs has certainly helped him get his career back on track, and from being a largely unheralded talent who had faded into obscurity in England, he's now being talked about in (albeit in ridiculously overblown terms) as one of Scotland's best midfielders. But the days of indentured labour are over and he doesn't owe you any more than you're willing to offer him, which I'm guessing isn't a huge amount financially. In any other walk of life an employee who wanted to leave to work for a larger business for a higher salary would be free to do so if he gave due notice. Football being what it is that's not the way it works, but I don't think there's any moral high ground to be taken by forcing a player to remain at a place he doesn't want to be purely for the club's selfish aims. Arsenal weren't pilloried for trying to buy Luis Suarez and nor was he at fault for wanting to leave Liverpool at the time. And while Liverpool took an admirable stance based on principal, it certainly wasn't a moral one as they reneged on a condition of Suarez's employment with them. 

Sterling's position is slightly different, as he downed tools and demanded a move before there was any club bidding for him. At the end of the day his decision was based on greed and his desire to take short-cuts to success by finding a cub that was already winning trophies. It's not exactly unusual in football though, and Rangers have benefited from that sort of attitude plenty over the years. But Allan wants to join because he's a fan and because we can provide a bigger and subjectively better platform for him. As I've said before though, if he doesn't get his move he should get his head down at Hibs and give his all for the side. If he doesn't do that he will be a lot more like Sterling and that will be big a disappointment for everyone.
Says more about your side if they can be unsettled that easily.
Coop,
At least el car, whether ye agree wi' him or no' tries tae put forward his argument. You just throw in bitchy comments
Its quite a straight forward comment. All we have heard is that Rangers set out to unsettle Hibs. If that's the case then i'd be worried it could be done so easily. No argument needed, and as for bitchy comments that's more for your own board.
So, nae transfer request made yet, hasnae asked tae leave yet, can the weegie press no' be brought tae book over a' the " Please let me go tae the club I love ya cruel hibs bastards "lies that's been printed over the last week. Especially the back page o' the sun, that wis a cracker
0762 likes this post
El Car comment: Just out of curiosity 0762, where was your sense of righteous indignation when you were celebrating Celtic's signing of Nadir Ciftci after a series of incremental bids that were conducted very much in the public eye?

I must firstly answer that question: I'm not a Celtic fan or a great admirer of the Old Firm in general and the post was not full of any detectable celebration. I lodged that Ciftci post to highlight more the fact that Celtic have the huge dollops of money available to buy the success that they and their fans desire every season and they are the only football club in Scotland to do that at the current time - it makes them better favourites than last season to monopolise their position and have a very good chance to win the domestic treble. I GENUINELY HOPE THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN FOR THE GOOD OF THE GAME. My wholehearted sympathy goes out to Dundee United FC and their fans who had been subjected to a similar predatory process and they have had a bellyful of this type of transfer activity that they have endured since January this year!!!! They have every right to feel aggrieved but I do acknowledge the club itself pulled in lots of money all the same but they have sadly been damaged and undermined!
Re the rest of your comments, I'd just comment that there are two types of business dealing: one of them appears to be assertive and undignified, sometimes even aggressive and orchestrated. The other practise is what I'd call PRAGMATIC BUSINESS DEALING and I think most Scottish football clubs generally try to follow that discreet kind of practise when dealing with transfers etc. Rangers clearly don't fall into that category and it probably reflects the mindset of the people who run Rangers FC at the moment and not their manager, Warburton, although his recent rhetorical comment re retaining respect for Hibernian FC as Scott Allan is still a Hibs player, was a little bit irritating TBF! He forgot to mention his awareness of all the other orchestrated disrespectful comments that were made in the background by all the hangers on and every other Tom, Dick and media who had some vested interest in Rangers getting their man!! Anyway they're not getting him at the moment!!

Allan's inevitable transfer request handed in today (following some good advice from his agent, John Viola, who has a past unscrupulous track record with transfer scenarios like this one?) - Hibs inevitably not budging one inch on this issue!!! Formal club statement below.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5590

The message coming out of this Hibs statement is that Rangers are not getting Scott Allan, end of. However, another club could well pick him up at the right price and Hibs lose their best player - pardon my cynicism but was that not part of the Rangers plan all along? Who knows eh! Ideally he plays for us and gets on with it but the situation has changed and Hibs support may well turn against the lad and regard him as a wee ungrateful scumbag. I hope that does not happen as he has had a very good relationship with club and fans! I've always said the most loyal people of Hibs FC, and indeed of any football club in general, are the fans. This story just endorses that view even more!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »