Thread Rating:
Walsall news
Walsall have signed defender Harry Williams from non-league Alvechurch for an undisclosed fee.

Williams, 20, who began at West Brom, was part of the Alvechurch side who got to last season's FA Cup second round.

He has signed a one-year deal with the option of a one-year extension after impressing in a pre-season trial.

He becomes the seventh summer signing made by new Walsall boss Mat Sadler as the Saddlers bid to improve on 16th last season in League Two.

Williams follows the arrival of Newport County defender Priestley Farquharson, Birmingham City midfielder Ryan Stirk, Stockport County defender Chris Hussey, the return of strikers Danny Johnson and Douglas James-Taylor and on-loan Lincoln City striker Freddie Draper.

"Harry has had a really strong season at Alvechurch," said Walsall head coach Sadler. "The links we have to the local non-league scene alerted me to him and he's been with us for the last 10 days. I've been listening and looking out for young, hidden gems coming up and I feel Harry fits that profile."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Walsall have signed goalkeeper Jackson Smith from Wolves on a permanent deal.

Smith, 21, spent the second half of last season on loan with the League Two club as back-up to first-choice keeper Owen Evans.

He has moved for an undisclosed fee and signed a one-year contract, ending a 13-year association with Wolves.

"I'm exceptionally pleased to have Jackson at the club on a permanent basis," Walsall boss Mat Sadler told the club website.

Smith made two appearances during his loan spell.

"I said when I left that I feel like I left a better goalkeeper, so hopefully I can continue that again this year and get better throughout the season," he said.

Walsall have signed midfielder Ross Tierney on a season-long loan from Motherwell, while striker Aramide Oteh has returned to the club.

Striker Oteh, 24, was on loan with the Saddlers in 2019 and has signed a one-year deal after leaving Crawley Town, where his contract had expired.

Tierney, 22, joined Motherwell from Bohemians in January 2022.

"I want to play games, kick on here at Walsall and have a good season," Tierney told the club website.

"I'm an energetic, attacking midfielder and like to link up with the strikers."

Oteh began his career at Tottenham and later had a spell at QPR, who loaned him to Walsall for the second half of the 2018-19 season.

He made 13 appearances for the West Midlands club, scoring once.

"I'm glad to be back," said Oteh, whose contract includes the option of an additional year.

"When I was here previously, the fans were always supportive and showed me love and that was a reason why I wanted to come back.

"I want to show them what I'm capable of doing and hopefully we'll have beautiful moments together."

Walsall have signed David Okagbue from Stoke City on a season-long loan.

The 19-year-old defender, who spent the first half of last season on loan with National League side Oldham Athletic, is Saddlers boss Mat Sadler's 11th signing of the summer transfer window.

He also had a loan spell at sixth-tier side Chester in the 2021-22 season.

The five-times capped Republic of Ireland Under-19 international could figure at home to Colchester United on Saturday.

"It's a great move for me," he said. "I am looking forward to getting men's football under my belt again, this time in the Football League."

Walsall have made two deadline day signings, Stoke City defender David Okagbue from Stoke City and Wolves midfielder Harvey Griffiths, both on a season-long loan.

The arrival of the two 19-year-olds takes Saddlers boss Mat Sadler's summer haul of signings to 12.

Former Manchester City academy product Griffiths is on his first loan move.

Okagbue spent the first half of last season on loan with National League side Oldham Athletic.

He also had a loan spell at sixth-tier side Chester in the 2021-22 season.

The five-times capped Republic of Ireland Under-19 international could figure at home to Colchester United on Saturday, but Griffiths appears to have been signed too late to figure.

Walsall defender Chris Hussey has announced his retirement after just six games for the club.

The 34-year-old joined the Saddlers in the summer following his release by League Two rivals Stockport County.

Hussey says he is quitting his 16-year playing career to pursue an "exciting opportunity outside of the sport".

He played in nearly 500 games for 10 different clubs and won promotion five times with AFC Wimbledon, Bury, Port Vale, Sheffield United and Cheltenham.

"My time with Walsall has been short but I have learnt an awful lot in that short space of time," Hussey said in a statement released by Walsall.

"I am immensely grateful for the support of the fans, team-mates, and coaching staff throughout my time here, especially the gaffer for bringing me to the football club."

He went on to say that his career change will give him a "unique chance for personal and professional growth" and allow him "to explore different facets of my abilities and interests".

Saddlers boss Mat Sadler said Hussey had had a "fantastic" career, adding: "He has taken the decision he feels is best for him and his family at this time and we honoured and supported that as a football club.

"We will continue with the squad that we've put together and keep moving forward."

Walsall midfielder Oisin McEntee has signed a new contract until the end of the 2024-25 season.

The 22-year-old has made 20 appearances for the League Two Saddlers this season, scoring three goals.

The former Republic of Ireland Under-21s player moved to Bescot Stadium from Newcastle United in 2022.

"The support from the fans has been brilliant. I have a gaffer who believes in me and it's the happiest I've been in football for a long time," he said.

League Two club Walsall have signed defender Evan Weir from Drogheda United and agreed a new deal with midfielder Jack Earing until the summer of 2025.

Weir joins on an 18-month deal, with the option of a further year, and will be loaned back to the Irish club before rejoining the Saddlers next summer.

The 21-year-old has scored five goals in 56 appearances for Drogheda since joining two seasons ago.

Earing, 24, returned in December from 11 months out with a torn ACL.

He joined the Saddlers from National League side FC Halifax Town in the summer of 2021 and has scored five times in 71 appearances, including a goal in Friday's 3-1 win over Wrexham.

Weir's signing, which will be completed on New Year's Day when the January transfer window reopens, is subject to international clearance as well as EFL and FA approval.

"He is a really good young player with a fantastic future and we were pleased to get his signature over a lot of other clubs who were looking at him," Walsall head coach Mat Sadler said.

"The standard of football in the Irish Premier League is a very good standard, we have seen that with the players that are coming over. We have seen it with Ross Tierney who we have in the building ourselves."

Walsall midfielder Jack Earing has signed a new deal at the League Two club until the summer of 2025.

The 24-year-old returned at the start of December after 11 months out with a knee injury.

Earing, who joined from Halifax in June 2021, has scored five times in 71 games for the Saddlers including in the 3-1 win over Wrexham on 29 December.

Walsall are 13th in League Two and start the new year with a visit to Grimsby Town on Monday.

Walsall defender Liam Gordon has signed a contract extension to run until the summer of 2025.

The 24-year-old joined the Saddlers from Bolton Wanderers in 2022 and has made 28 appearances this season.

He also scored only his second goal for the club in a 3-1 victory at Bradford City in September.

"I'm happy it's finally done and I can focus on the plans we have for this season and next season," Gordon told the club website.

His new deal follows those agreed with Oisin McEntee and Jack Earing over the past couple of months.

Head coach Mat Sadler said: "It's a continuation of the hard work we've been putting in behind the scenes to keep building and progressing all aspects of the squad."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »