Thread Rating:
Walsall news
New Walsall head coach Mat Sadler has released 11 players in a major clear-out at the League Two club.

Liam Kinsella, Conor Wilkinson, Andy Williams, Jacob Maddox, Peter Clarke, Timmy Abraham, Joss Labadie, Manny Monthe, Hayden White, Sam Perry and Jonas Mukuna will all leave.

Midfielder Kinsella, 27, made 253 appearances for the Saddlers.

"Liam will remain one of our favourite sons and will always be welcome at Walsall," said a club statement.

The son of Mark Kinsella, a former Colchester United, Charlton Athletic, Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion, Walsall and Republic of Ireland international, he had been at the club since he was eight years old.

Walsall, who appointed interim boss Sadler on a more permanent basis on an undisclosed-length contract on Thursday, finished 16th in League Two.

Sadler also has 11 players under contract for the 23/24 season, Jamille Matt, Ronan Maher, Joe Riley, Isaac Hutchinson, Tom Knowles, Liam Gordon, Brandon Comley, Oisin McEntee, Donervon Daniels, Owen Evans and Rollin Menayese.

The Saddlers have offered a new contract to Joe Foulkes, who has just spent the season on loan at Kidderminster Harriers, helping them to earn promotion to the National League, while the injured Jack Earing has been offered a new short-term deal as he continues his rehabilitation.

Walsall co-chairman Ben Boycott added that Sadler will be supported with his rebuilding plans.

"Mat Sadler will be backed this summer as we implement our new recruitment processes," he said. "We will be bringing in new players and also looking at contract extensions for some of our current squad, to continue to build on this foundation for 23-24 and beyond.

"The players under contract represent a good starting point."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

I'd love them to do well next year, as a black country born lad, i have always followed them over the years.
themaclad likes this post
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
Strange but true evry time went to the old Fellows Park ground never lost or conceded a goal and that includes Chorley v Wimbledon FA Trophy 2nd replay however at the Bescot never seen us get a point

Birmingham City midfielder Ryan Stirk has signed a two-year deal to become Walsall's first summer signing.

The 22-year-old Birmingham-born Wales Under-21 international will officially complete his move to Bescot when his existing Blues deal expires on 30 June.

Since making his debut at the end of the 2020-21 season, Stirk has made just three further Blues appearances.

But he spent the season on loan at Mansfield in 2021-22, helping them reach the League Two play-offs.

Stirk was then at non-league Bromley last season. He again made the play-offs, in which Bromley suffered an National League semi-final extra-time defeat by Chesterfield.

Walsall, who finished 16th in League Two last season, 20 points shy of a play-off place, are now under the command of new boss Mat Sadler, whose first signing comes from his former club.

Walsall have sign experienced former Coventry, Bury, Sheffield United and Cheltenham defender Chris Hussey after his departure from Stockport County.

Hussey, 34, will officially join on 1 July when his existing one-year Stockport deal expires.

He was in the Stockport side beaten on penalties by Carlisle. in May's League Two play-off final team at Wembley.

But he has now signed an initial one-year deal to become new Saddlers boss Mat Sadler's second summer signing.

See Walsall's 2023-24 League Two fixtures
Hussey began his career at AFC Wimbledon, with whom he was twice promoted in 2008 and 2009, then had more than three years at Coventry before returning to Wimbledon to help them stay in the English Football League in 2013.

He then moved to Burton Albion before winning promotion again with Bury to League Two in 2015 - then joining Sheffield United in 2016, to help them win promotion to League One.

After a season on loan at Swindon, Hussey then made 155 appearances in four years at Cheltenham, with whom he won promotion for a fifth time in 2020-21.

He spent the second half of the 2021-22 season at Port Vale before moving to Stockport in September 2022.

Walsall, who finished 16th in League Two last season, made their first summer signing when midfielder Ryan Stirk arrived from Birmingham City.

Jack Earing in action for Walsall
Jack Earing has made 56 league appearances for Walsall since joining them in the summer of 2021
Walsall quartet Jack Earing, Taylor Allen, Joe Foulkes and Marvellous Onabirekhanlen have signed new deals with the club.

Midfielder Earing, 24, who had his 2022-23 campaign ended by a knee injury in January last season, has penned a short-term deal.

Allen, 23, has signed a one-year deal with a further 12-month option.

Foulkes, 20, and 18-year-old Onabirekhanlen both spent time out on loan last season.

Walsall have re-signed Stoke City striker Douglas James-Taylor on a one-year deal.

The 21-year-old will join the Saddlers on a free transfer when he contract with Stoke expires on 1 July.

James-Taylor, who has a further 12-month option on his contract, spent last season on loan with the Saddlers and scored two goals in 30 games.

Walsall have also named former QPR, Wycombe and Aldershot boss Gary Waddock as assistant to head coach Mat Sadler.

The 61-year-old moves to the Bescot Stadium after leaving Cambridge United, where he was Mark Bonner's number two.

Sadler was appointed on 18 May, having taken charge of the final three games of last season as interim boss as they finished 16th in League Two.

"I'm delighted Gary's going to share this journey with us and share this journey with me," he said.

"It's been a really extensive process in finding the perfect candidate that I feel will help bring us on and the perfect candidate for the environment and how I want it to look.

"Gary ticked all of those boxes. He's vastly experienced, he's worked at a number of clubs, been a manager a number of times and every role he has undertaken, he's done so with professionalism and hard work."

Gary Waddock
Gary Waddock took charge of more than 460 games as head coach and manager
Following a playing career at clubs including QPR, Millwall, Bristol Rovers and Luton, former Republic of Ireland international Waddock was appointed as QPR boss in 2006.

His spell in charge was brief and his only managerial role since the end of his second spell at Aldershot in 2019 was as caretaker at Southend United.

He had three years as assistant head coach at Cambridge but was let go by the League One club five days after Sadler's appointment by Walsall.

"I had conversations with Mat and the owners over the last few weeks," he said. "It was a thorough interview process but I got on really well with Mat and I'm looking forward to working with him and the owners.

"There's a plan and a vision with what the owners have put in place and what they are going to put in place so it feels like exciting times ahead."

Walsall captain Donervon Daniels has signed a new contract to keep him at the club until the summer of 2025.

The 29-year-old joined the Saddlers from Crewe Alexandra in January 2022 and has so far made 64 appearances and scored three goals.

Daniels began his career in the West Midlands with West Brom and has also had spells at Blackpool and Luton Town.

"If you could bottle up what makes captain material, he's everything and more," said head coach Mat Sadler.

"From the very first moment that I took over the games at the back end of last season, and certainly from the moment I was appointed in the role, it's been the top priority for me to get Donervon secured so I'm pleased we've got it done.

"On a matchday we see what a fantastic football player he is but what I see day in, day out is a person who cares about his team-mates and a person who cares about the football club."

Walsall finished 16th in League Two last season and start the new campaign with a trip to Morecambe on 5 August.

"You want to give your all and having stability, having that understanding with the squad, the manager and the owners, it allows you to commit and give your all," said Daniels.

Walsall have appointed their ex-striker Darren Byfield as first-team coach.

The club say Byfield will form a "key part" of head coach Mat Sadler's staff and will strengthen the academy's link with the senior side, alongside his first-team duties.

The 46 year-old had two spells with Walsall, scoring 27 goals in 152 games.

His most memorable moment came when he scored the winner against Reading in the play-off final as Walsall won promotion to the second tier in 2001.

LISTEN: My Sporting Memory - Darren Byfield on Walsall's 2001 play-off final win
Byfield was most recently first-team coach at League Two Crawley Town, having a brief interim stint in charge before reverting to an assistant role under boss Scott Lindsey.

"I spoke with the gaffer and I am really excited about his thoughts and ideas about what we will be doing this season, so I am really looking forward to it," Byfield said.

"My aim is to try and improve this team and this football club and get us back to where we want to be."

Byfield began his playing career at Aston Villa, making six Premier League appearances, before a succession of loan spells preceded his first move to Walsall in June 2000.

His first season with the Saddlers culminated in their superb 3-2 extra-time win over the Royals in Cardiff, with Byfield grabbing the crucial goal as Ray Graydon's side twice came from behind to clinch promotion back to the second tier at the first attempt.

After spells with the likes of Rotherham, Sunderland, Gillingham and Millwall, Byfield returned to Walsall before the 2009-10 season.

He finished his playing career with non-league Solihull Moors before embarking on his coaching journey in the lower leagues, which included a spell as player-manager at Redditch United.

"My experience last year with Crawley will hopefully help me in this role," Byfield said.

"It's having the knowledge of knowing the teams and players that you are playing against, it is a big thing."

Walsall have made their sixth summer signing by bringing in teenage striker Freddie Draper from League One side Lincoln City on a season-long loan.

Draper, who turns 19 in August, follows the arrival of Newport defender Priestley Farquharson, Birmingham midfielder Ryan Stirk, Stockport defender Chris Hussey and strikers Danny Johnson and Douglas James-Taylor.

"It was a move that I really wanted to do," said Draper, who was on loan last season with League of Ireland side Drogheda, scoring eight times in 21 games. "It is the next step up for me.

"The loan with Drogheda was a brilliant experience and something that I needed. I am happy I went over there and luckily I was able to show everyone what I could do. I am a goal scorer and I am happy that I could score goals."

Draper has made 12 first-team appearances for Lincoln since making his debut as a 17-year-old in October 2021.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »