Thread Rating:
Rebuild
Gillingham have signed goalkeeper Glenn Morris and striker Lewis Walker.

Morris, 38, has spent the past six seasons with League Two rivals Crawley Town where he won the club's player of the year award four times.

It will be his second stint at Priestfield Stadium following a two-season spell with the club between 2014-16.

Morris is expected to compete for a starting place after new arrival Ashley Maynard-Brewer injured his shoulder.

The goalkeeper started his career at Leyton Orient in 2001 and has racked up 532 appearances for five teams over his 21-year career.

Gillingham sign striker Lewis Walker on permanent deal
24-year-old Walker has spent the past two seasons playing in Italy
Lewis Walker joins Gillingham on a permanent deal following a trial spell.

The 24-year-old has spent the past two seasons playing in Serie C and Serie D - Italy's third and fourth divisions - where he made 43 appearances and scored six goals for two different clubs.

Walker started his career with the semi-professional side Ilkeston before joining Derby County and QPR and had loan spells with Darlington and Aldershot Town, between 2017 and 2020.

Gillingham get their new League Two campaign under way on Saturday away to AFC Wimbledon.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Gillingham have signed winger Hakeeb Adelakun on a season-long loan.

The 26-year-old has started two games for League One Lincoln City this season and dropped down a division to join Neil Harris' side in League Two.

He began his senior career at Scunthorpe, playing 169 times for the Iron between 2012 and 2018 before a move to Bristol City and then a free transfer to Lincoln last summer.

"Hakeeb is a player I have chased all summer," Harris told the club website.

"He has performed very well in the leagues above us and I am sure he will add great competition in the attacking end of the pitch."

Gillingham have a win and two defeats in League Two so far and host Harrogate on Tuesday.

Gillingham have brought in Haji Mnoga on a season-long loan from Portsmouth and re-signed Robbie McKenzie.

Mnoga, 20, has appeared 18 times for Pompey, and scored once, along with three loan spells in non-league.

The centre-half has also won three caps for Tanzania.

McKenzie was released at the end of last season after two years at Priestfield, but the defender, 23, has agreed a new permanent contract.

Gillingham have signed former Colchester United and Reading winger Callum Harriott.

The 28-year-old, who has been a free agent since leaving Colchester United in the summer of 2021, has agreed a short-term deal at the League Two side.

Harriott, who came up through Charlton's youth ranks, has won nine caps for Guyana.

He played 95 times for Charlton from 2011 to 2016 before moving to Reading, where he spent three years.

Harriott then joined Colchester, where he featured 64 times in all competitions over a two-season period.

"I am hoping I can bring that magic in a game and help with goals and assists. I will always work hard; I am not too far away in terms of fitness," Harriott told the club website.

Gillingham have signed striker Tom Nichols from fellow League Two club Crawley Town for an undisclosed fee.

Nichols, 29, will officially join on 1 January subject to EFL ratification.

If cleared, Gills manager Neil Harris will hope to include him in their squad for the game at Stevenage the following day.

The Kent club are bottom of League Two and have managed just six goals in their 21 league games this campaign.

Nichols scored 29 times in 109 games for Crawley, including four in 23 appearances this season.

Gillingham have signed midfielder Timothee Dieng from League One side Exeter City for an undisclosed fee.

The 30-year-old was a key part of the Grecians side that won promotion from League Two last season and has scored 17 goals in 68 appearances since a free transfer in the summer of 2021.

He has also had spells at Southend, Bradford and Oldham.

Exeter say Gillingham's bid triggered a clause in Dieng's contract - which still had 18 months left to run.

"The transfer was out of our control," Exeter boss Gary Caldwell told the club website.

"We didn't want Tim to leave, but Gillingham activated a release clause that was already in Tim's contract, meaning that ultimately it was Tim's decision to leave the club."

Dieng, who had not started a game in the last month, is the second experienced player to leave St James Park this week after captain Matt Jay joined Colchester United for an undisclosed fee.

The Frenchman was named Exeter's player of the year after helping the Grecians finish second in League Two and earn a first season in the third tier in a decade.

He is the first signing since Gillingham were taken over by Brad Galinson shortly before Christmas.

"I am happy to get it over the line," Dieng told the Gillingham website.

"It happened quickly to be honest. I visited the stadium, I have seen the facilities and I've been impressed so I'm looking forward to getting started."

Gillingham have signed striker Oli Hawkins from fellow League Two club Mansfield Town for an undisclosed fee.

The 30-year-old becomes Gillingham's third January signing.

Hawkins has scored five goals in 26 appearances for the Stags this season, having been predominantly used as a centre-back by boss Nigel Clough.

He joined Mansfield on a two-year deal in June 2021 after spells at Dagenham & Redbridge, Portsmouth and Ipswich Town.

Gillingham are bottom of League Two and six points from safety.

Goalkeeper Morris, 39, has featured 19 times for the Gills this season after joining on loan from Crawley in July.

He has agreed a six-month deal after terminating his contract with the Reds.

Having previously had a two-year stint at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium from 2014 to 2016, Morris played 269 games in all competitions during six-and-a-half years with Crawley.

Gillingham have made Mansfield Town midfielder George Lapslie their fifth signing of the January transfer window.

The 25-year-old made 32 appearances for the Stags this season, scoring seven goals - including one in a 2-0 victory at Gillingham in September.

Lapslie will be reunited at Priestfield Stadium with Oli Hawkins, who made the same move on Thursday.

The Gills have also signed Tom Nichols, Timothee Dieng and Glenn Morris this month.

Lapslie, whose contract with the Stags was due to expire this summer, was unveiled to home fans before the kick-off of their game with Hartlepool United, which Neil Harris' team won 2-0.

League Two strugglers Gillingham have signed Ethan Coleman from Leyton Orient and brought in Jayden Clarke from non-league Dulwich Hamlet.

Midfielder Coleman, 22, spent the first half of the campaign on loan at Bromley and joins for an undisclosed fee.

He featured 23 times in the National League for the Ravens.

Forward Clarke, 21, scored six goals in 26 appearances for National League South club Dulwich Hamlet this season after joining from Hendon.

The terms of the transfer and length of his and Coleman's contracts have not been disclosed.

"I've been working hard since I was a little kid to get a professional contract and it's finally here, and now I need to push on again," Clarke told the Dulwich Hamlet website.

Gillingham have now signed seven players in the January transfer window, following the arrivals of Tom Nichols, Timothee Dieng, Glenn Morris, Oli Hawkins and George Lapslie this month.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »