Thread Rating:
New Deal
League Two side Walsall have signed forward Douglas James-Taylor from Stoke City on a season-long loan.

The 20-year-old joined the Potters from Salford City in the summer of 2020, but is yet to make a first-team appearance for the Championship club.

James-Taylor finished last season on loan in National League North with AFC Fylde.

"He's coming in with the right attitude to provide competition up front and out wide," said Walsall boss Michael Flynn.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Walsall have continued the re-shaping of their squad with the signing of teenager Flynn Clarke on a season-long loan from Norwich City.

The 19-year-old attacking midfielder began his career at Peterborough before joining the Canaries last summer and is the Saddlers' 13th summer recruit.

Clarke has been a regular in Norwich's under-23 side but has not yet broken into the first team at Carrow Road.

"I am a player that just wants to get on the ball," he said.

"I have had a bit of pre-season with Norwich so that has helped me with my fitness and I have got my touch back, I have got my eye for goal again.

"I like to get into pockets, I like to score, I like to get assists. I am a winning player, I just want to win games."

Clarke's arrival continues Saddlers head coach Michael Flynn's extensive recruitment drive as he looks to improve on the club's 16th-placed finish in League Two last season.

Walsall have signed striker Danny Johnson on a six-month loan deal from fellow League Two club Mansfield Town.

The 29-year-old joined the Stags in 2021 and scored seven times in 26 appearances for the team last season.

The forward made his professional debut with Tranmere Rovers and has also had spells at Gateshead, Motherwell, Dundee and Leyton Orient.

Johnson scored for Walsall in their 2-0 pre-season victory over Solihull Moors on Saturday, immediately after signing.

"I'm a poacher, stick me in and around the box, give me the ball and I back myself to put the ball in the back of the net," Johnson said.

"I like to score goals for the team and that's what I think I can bring to the club."

Walsall have signed former Fulham forward Timmy Abraham on a one-year deal after a successful trial spell.

The 21-year-old, who is the younger brother of Roma and England striker Tammy, was released by the Whites at the end of his contract in June.

"I'm very happy to be able to come here and play for this team and put this shirt on," he told the club website.

"I've enjoyed integrating with the boys, getting to know the environment and the coaching staff."

Walsall have signed winger Tom Knowles from Yeovil Town on a two-year deal with the option of a further year, for an undisclosed fee.

The 23-year-old scored nine goals in 42 league appearances for the Glovers last season having joined from Cambridge United in November 2020.

Knowles, who can play across midfield and in attack, has 18 goals in 90 senior games.

"I'm hardworking first and foremost," Knowles told the club website.

"I will give everything, 100% week in, week out.

"I am a direct player, I like running at players, scoring goals, creating chances and getting the fans excited."

Walsall have signed Coventry City forward Danny Cashman on loan for the remainder of the League Two season.

The 21-year-old, who is yet to make a first-team appearance for Coventry, spent last season in League Two on loan at Rochdale, where he scored three goals in 29 games in all competitions.

He joined Coventry in the summer of 2021 after being released by Brighton.

"He's a versatile forward who can offer us something different," said Walsall boss Michael Flynn.

Meanwhile, midfielder Flynn Clarke has returned to Norwich after having his loan spell cut short.

The 22-year-old made three appearances for Walsall, all in cup competitions.

Walsall have signed free agent midfielder Jacob Maddox on a one-year deal following his departure from Portuguese side Vitoria Guimaraes.

The 23-year-old former Chelsea youngster spent last season on loan with League One side Burton Albion.

He was part of the England Under-19 side that won the 2017 European Championship, alongside Mason Mount, Aaron Ramsdale and Ryan Sessegnon.

The Saddlers, 13th in League Two, have also signed young striker Jonas Mukuna.

After starting the season well with three straight wins, Michael Flynn's side have dropped into the bottom half after going seven games without a victory in all competitions.

"Jacob played in League One last year," said Flynn. "He joins us to try and prove a point and get back to where he should be, which is playing week in, week out.

"He's technically very good. He came through at Chelsea and has been around a winning environment. That's key for us because we want winners."

As for former Leyton Orient and QPR academy player Mukuna, the 17-year-old has been on trial at Walsall since the start of pre-season.

Flynn added: "He showed the coaching staff and I some of the qualities that he has as a player. He is still very young and very raw so we have got to manage him correctly. The hard work begins for him now."

Walsall have signed Bristol City centre-back Joe Low on loan until the end of the season.

The 20-year-old has made two appearances for the Robins this season and had a loan spell in the National League with Eastleigh in the first half of last term.

Low is Saddlers boss Michael Flynn's first signing of the January transfer window.

"Joe is hungry and going to add big competition," Flynn said.

"He's six foot five, quick, he's good on the ball, he's strong and for a 20-year-old, he's very aggressive which is not always the case these days."

Low joins with Walsall ninth in League Two, only two points outside the play-off places.

"I'm really excited to be here," he said.

"I love defending, heading balls, keeping clean sheets, doing my bit for the team, giving the ball to the creative players and let them do their work but obviously, I like to get a few goals in the opposite box myself.

"I want to showcase what I've got, really make a name for myself and push on."

First time I've heard of someone being excited to be in Walsall

Walsall have signed Newport County midfielder Robbie Willmott on loan for the rest of the season.

The 32-year-old will be reunited with manager Michael Flynn, who was in charge of Newport until 2021.

Willmott first joined the Welsh club from Cambridge United in 2013 and returned for a second spell in 2017.

He played in the 2019 League Two play-off final, when they lost 1-0 to Tranmere Rovers, and has made 17 appearances this season.

"Playing under the gaffer and [assistant] Hats [Wayne Hatswell], and I have played with both of them as well, means I know how they operate; know how they like to play and they know how I operate so it is a good match," said Willmott.

Flynn added: "I've known him a long time, I've played with him, managed him, he's a good character and he'll fit in with the group. He's very fit, looks after himself and he will provide us with some good ammunition down the right-hand side."

Walsall have signed striker Jamille Matt from League One strugglers Forest Green Rovers on an 18-month deal for an undisclosed fee.

Matt, 33, who links up again with his old Newport County boss Michael Flynn, becomes the Saddlers' third signing of the January transfer window.

"The head coach was a massive part to the decision," said Matt.

"I had a very fruitful spell alongside him - and Wayne Hatswell as well - when we worked together at Newport."

Matt, who began his professional career across the West Midlands at Kidderminster Harriers after coming through at Sutton Coldfield Town, also admitted that it is a return to his boyhood roots.

"I grew up in Walsall from 10 years onwards. I went to school here. My first football league match was here at Walsall, alongside some friends of mine who brought me along. That is probably when I caught the bug playing football.

"I played football locally for Silverdale in Sunday league. I remember having presentations here in the Bonser Suite with Walsall players."

Flynn added: "Jamille is completely different to what we've currently got, he's proven at this level. He's got promotion from this level. He's a real handful."

Matt has also played for Fleetwood Town, Stevenage, Plymouth Argyle, Blackpool and Grimsby Town.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »