Thread Rating:
New Deal
Walsall's Donervon Daniels has signed a new two-year deal with the Saddlers.

The 28-year-old former West Bromwich Albion defender, signed in January by then boss Matthew Taylor initially on a six-month deal, has played 16 games.

But he has only been on the losing side twice in 11 appearances since new boss Michael Flynn took charge in February.

"The gaffer and I have hit it off since he has come in - he's put a lot of trust in me, he sees me as a leader in the dressing room," said Daniels.

Walsall head coach Flynn added: "He has been exceptional since I have been here. He makes the players around him better. He has got a fantastic attitude.

"He has been attentive, he knows how to play the game, he is good technically, meaning he can deal with how we want to play next season. He is a key signing for us."

After starting his career just up the road at The Hawthorns, Daniels left Albion for Wigan Athletic and was part of their League One title-winning team in 2015-16 before moving on to Blackpool, then Luton Town. He also had loan experience at Tranmere, Gillingham, Aberdeen, Rochdale and Doncaster Rovers, before arriving at Crewe in August 2020.

With two games left this season, Walsall lie 14th in League Two.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Walsall have made their first signing of the summer after agreeing a two-year deal with Bolton defender Liam Gordon.

The 23-year-old has spent the past two seasons with the League One side and made 36 appearances, including 21 this term.

"I'm delighted to add Liam to the squad," Saddlers boss Michael Flynn told the club website.

"He's fit, quick, a good crosser of the ball, athletic and fits everything that I want in a wing-back."

Gordon, who began his career with National League side Dagenham & Redbridge, will complete his move to the West Midlands once his contract at Bolton expires on 1 July.

Meanwhile, Walsall director Nigel Bond has stepped down after 17 years on the League Two club's board.

The club said that a plan had been agreed with Bond for the repayment of his loans.

Walsall have signed Republic of Ireland Under-21s central defender Oisin McEntee from Premier League Newcastle United on a two-year contract.

The 21-year-old will move to the League Two Saddlers on a free transfer on 1 July when his current deal with the Magpies ends.

He spent this season on loan in Scotland with Championship side Morton, making 28 appearances and scoring once.

"I'm buzzing and I'm looking forward to getting started," McEntee said.

"I like to drive out with the ball, I'm comfortable on the ball, I'm quite physical and I enjoy a tackle as well.

"I want to integrate and show what I'm about. Walsall was the right fit for me. Hopefully I will help out the team on the pitch."

McEntee is Walsall boss Michael Flynn's second signing in the last three days after the arrival of wing-back Liam Gordon from Bolton.

Walsall have signed defender Peter Clarke on a one-year contract after he turned down a new deal with Tranmere.

The 40-year-old made 51 appearances for Rovers in all competitions in 2021-22 and scored four goals.

He began his career at Everton, playing 14 games for the Premier League club, and joined Tranmere from Fleetwood in January 2020.

"Peter is a fantastic professional, he is a leader," Saddlers boss Michael Flynn told the club website.

"He was the only outfield player to play every minute of every game last season and he was in the League Two team of the year."

Walsall finished 16th in League Two, seven places and 21 points below Tranmere.

Clarke said of Flynn: "We had a brief spell playing together many, many moons ago and we have always kept in touch and we have respected each others careers from afar.

"To me, my age isn't an issue. To lots of other people, maybe it is but I love being out there, I feel good."

In a statement, Tranmere added: "After being offered a new contract with Rovers in a player-coach role, Clarke has decided to move on in the interest of getting more game time which is a decision that the club completely understand and respect."

Clarke's former clubs also include Blackpool, Southend, Huddersfield, Bury and Oldham

Walsall have signed full-back Joe Riley on a two-year deal after the expiry of his contract at fellow League Two side Carlisle United.

The 25-year-old began his career with Manchester United, making two appearances for their first team.

He moved to Sheffield United on loan in 2016 and joined Bradford in 2018 before linking up with Carlisle in 2020.

"To hear the ambitions of the club and to be a part of that is something I'm ready to buy into," he said.

"I've played 84 games in the last two seasons and I feel confident within myself. I've come on, not just in terms of learning League Two, but mentally as well."

Riley is the Saddlers' first signing since the club were taken over by Sports investment firm Trivela Group LLC.

Walsall have signed free-agent striker Andy Williams and Cambridge United defender Liam Bennett on loan.

Williams, 35, was released by Cheltenham Town last month and has agreed a one-year deal, having played more than 680 times for seven clubs.

Williams - who scored 14 goals in two years for Cheltenham - joins after Devante Rodney left for Rochdale.

Bennett, 20, has agreed a season-long loan with the Saddlers having played 10 times for the U's last season.

"Liam comes in to add competition to the squad," Walsall head coach Michael Flynn said.

"He's played higher in League One. He's honest, he's up and down the pitch, has great energy and can play in a few positions."

On Williams, Flynn commented: "He's a top professional, a focal point up front and has been part of a promotion winning team and a League One team last season so has played at a higher level.

"He looks after himself really well and I'm looking forward to him being part of the squad going forward."

Walsall have signed midfielders Taylor Allen and Brandon Comley on one and two-year contracts respectively.

Allen, 21, will join the Saddlers when his contract with Forest Green Rovers expires at the end of the month.

Comley, who has won 16 caps for Montserrat, is a free agent, having left National League side Dagenham and Redbridge at the end of last season.

The 26-year-old was a member of the Bolton Wanderers side that won promotion from League Two in 2021.

He has also had a spell at Colchester United and been on loan at Grimsby Town and Carlisle United.

"Brandon is a great signing for this football club," head coach Michael Flynn told the club website.

"I've always liked him, he's at a good age and has experience of getting promoted out of the league."

Walsall have made their ninth summer signing by bringing in Cheltenham Town's former Wales Under-21 goalkeeper Owen Evans for an undisclosed fee.

The 25-year-old ex-Wigan Athletic keeper has agreed a two-year deal.

"Owen is a very talented keeper," said boss Michael Flynn. "He's played in League One with Cheltenham, good experience with Wigan, been with Wales U21s and has the potential to kick on.

"He showed a real desire to come to the football club and is eager to do well."

Newport-born Evans, who began his career at Hereford United before signing his first professional contract at Wigan, during which he was loaned out to non-league clubs Witton Albion, Rhyl, North Ferriby United and Sutton United.

He then had loan spells with Leyton Orient, Macclesfield Town and Cheltenham before returning to Whaddon Road on a more permanent basis in the summer of 2021, ahead of making 32 appearances last season.

The Saddlers have also signed Adam Przybek, 22, on a one-year contract after his release by Wycombe Wanderers.

Flynn added: "Adam has a bright future - and both goalkeepers will provide each other with good competition."

Newport-born Evans began his career at Hereford United before signing his first professional contract at Wigan, during which he was loaned out to non-league clubs Witton Albion, Rhyl, North Ferriby United and Sutton United.

He then had loan spells with Leyton Orient, Macclesfield Town and Cheltenham before returning to Whaddon Road on a more permanent basis in the summer of 2021, ahead of making 32 appearances last season.

Przybek, who has also represented Wales to Under-21 level, began his career at West Bromwich Albion, and then spent time with Ipswich Town before moving to Wycombe last summer.

Walsall have signed Derby midfielder Isaac Hutchinson on a one-year deal.

The 22-year-old made four appearances for the Rams after joining from Southend in October 2020.

He ended last season on loan at League Two Crawley, scoring twice in 19 appearances.

"He's at the right age, he's hungry and is a player that I'm excited to be working with and help progress his career," boss Michael Flynn told the club website.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »