Thread Rating:
Scotland v Israel, Thurs 8 October, KO 7.45pm
A Euro play-off, one of the biggest international matches for Scotland in a long time, is suddenly looming ever closer and one can only hope that Steve Clarke gets his formation right and his team choice as well. I think three at the back should be "binned" as that experiment has clearly failed but I suspect he is still gonna play it. It is a game we clearly must try to win and I'm guessing that Clarke will try to be defensively solid but will favour a positive hi-press mid to front line. Dykes will likely be the CF but should he have an inside forward (Armstrong?) alongside him to give additional support? I'm wondering if Robertson should actually be played in the LB position esp after that 7-2 thrashing of Liverpool by Villa last night? Also IMO he has hardly played a good game for Scotland either! Therefore Tierney to take up that position? Also the CB positions need to be secured - choose wisely Steve! I also agree with Mikey Stewart and, like him, would like to see Sparky pulled into the squad and put on the subs' bench for poss use late on in this match. We do not have many predatory strikers like Leigh Griffiths and even though I don't think he is fully match fit, don't underestimate his ability to score goals, esp crucial ones.
We have to chuck Leigh into this one if he's halfway fit. Stick him up top with dykes and go 3-5-2.

Who knows with the Robertson/Tierney thing ? Clarkes made Robertson captain so I reckon he stays in that role, although I have my doubts that he's better than Tierney.
Its a crying shame that Hampden will be empty for this. I've no doubt a full capacity of passionate Scots would have been a huge advantage to your team.
Coronavirus has virtually selected the team with Armstrong, Tierney and Christie being sidelined - Armstrong tested positive.
Cabbage is still good for you
Yukkkkkk!!!!! Thumb down Also 3 x players sidelined due to injury and that includes McKenna - yukkkk!! We have four x recognised defenders and must use them. No "three at the back" any more - has to be "four at the back"! Bring in Porteous in a "baptism of fire"? Clarke now has an opp to bring in Sparky - DO IT!!
(07-10-2020, 18:19)ritchiebaby Wrote: Coronavirus has virtually selected the team with Armstrong, Tierney and Christie being sidelined - Armstrong tested positive.

International football right now probably isn't such a great idea.
I absolutely agree! We need international footie and the required logistics/protection of players like a "hole in the head"! VERY UNWISE TBF!
Words fail me as far as the game is concerned. Prepare to get a drubbing from Serbia.
Cabbage is still good for you
SCOTLAND QUALIFY FOR THE PLAY-OFF FINAL V SERBIA!!! Thumb up MASTERS OF THE PENALTY SHOOTOUT with 5 SUCCESSIVE CONVERTED PEN KICKS IN A SHOOTOUT THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE TO ANY SCOTLAND SIDE!! Thumb up BUT this was one of the most awful Scotland footie matches that I've ever observed TBH!! McTominay should've scored in normal time with a free header from 4 yards but headed it past the post - unbelievable!! Not one shot on target, Rocky's goal intact after 90 mins and what a poor game of footie and cagey from both sides. We travel to Serbia and, lets not kid ourselves, this semi-final has been won and job done but Steve Clarke needs to find a different Scotland line-up from this one in order to have any chance v a team that played extremely well tonight v Norway to eliminate them from that play-off final. However, will he "go Italian" again and "go for broke" with another pk shootout in Belgrade? I hope not as I don't think my old "ticker" can take much more of this from Scotland!
We are xxxx dreadful.  How the xxxx that boy mcburnie is a professional player I don't know. He's got zero footballing brain. O'donnell and Jack were both next to useless.

That said the tactics and positioning were all over the shop. 3-5-2 your wing backs are meant to act as wingers and he’s playing O'Donnell as a 4th CB and dykes about 30 yards away from goal. Israel were a better footballing side but neither of us should be at the Euros ffs. Laugh I suspect Serbia will end that particular illusion.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »