Thread Rating:
Good reads
I am currently resurrecting my interest in WWII, particularly the air force and specifically women at war. I am reading Memoirs of a WAAF, the diaries of Daphne Dangerfield. I have just read a similar one from Joan Rice. I doubt that many of you would go for my choices but you could try Brummie Road which was written by Ian Richards, aka Ska'dForLife-WBA, it was a good read and still available.
Ska'dForLife-WBA and Lord Snooty like this post
Or my newest one; which, coincidentally, is about a woman who goes to war!
I shall get that one for my holiday!

I can't find it. What's it called? Is it on kindle?
(15-03-2020, 01:34)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: What's it called? Is it on kindle?

Yes! The Weathermaid's Mate.

It's basically Harry Potter meets Hornblower. Started writing it for fun back in 2015, and the idea took on a life of its own. Now at work on a sequel.
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
And purchased!  Thumb up
Ska'dForLife-WBA likes this post
Finished reading The Secret Footballer - How To Win.

Read Del Boy's 'You know It Makes Sense' in a few hours , it was an easy but enjoyable read. Currently reading The Billion Dollar Spy which is a true story and then hope to read another 2 books I've got and start on some crime thrillers.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Finished reading Richard Osman's 3rd book of the Thursday Murder Club 'The Bullet That Missed'.

Decided to read Bram Stoker's Dracula and finished it in a day and a half as TV was boring and got quite into the story. First 7 chapters were tough but when you got past that it was pretty easy going.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
(26-04-2023, 03:01)spireitematt Wrote: Decided to read Bram Stoker's Dracula and finished it in a day and a half as TV was boring and got quite into the story. First 7 chapters were tough but when you got past that it was pretty easy going.

Yeah, I read Dracula when I was 17; still got my copy of it, with Bela Lugosi on the cover. To this day, I remember the bit that really hooked me and had chills running down my spine was when the ship arrives in Whitby and they find it abandoned, with the helmsman lashed to the wheel.

Been reading the Expanse books since the beginning of the year, I'm not usually a sci-fi reader but they're insanely gripping. And in non-fiction, picked David Kynaston's Austerity Britain back up after a few years on the shelf, it's a fascinating and informative journey.
I've just read "mayflies" which was serialised by the beeb recently.

It tells the story of a group of young friends trip to manchester to see a concert and party together, then goes forward 30 years to where one of them has terminal cancer.

A really touching story about male friendship.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »