What`s This All About?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51690403

No Idea
Maybe Our Resident German Football Expert
Can Help Us Out

Josh?
whats going on here?
@Kristien 1965
After a quick Google search, it seems the "offensive" banner said something along the lines of "the old thief always breaks his word - Hopp is a son of a bitch". Apparently, last week some Borussia Monchengladbach fans held up a picture of Hopp with crosshairs drawn over his face, which genuinely is a bit out of order given the terrorist attack in Hanau a couple of days earlier. This just seems to be the whole thing snowballing, though unless there's some other context I'm missing, it seems a massive overreaction for the players to have left the pitch.

On the plus side, I was previously unaware that Bayern Munich's coach is called Hansi Flick. Nice to know that Herr Flick managed to build a career for himself after the war.

[Image: Flick2.jpg]
Beefy 1965 and BaggieSteve like this post
It's protests against the Hoffenheim owner and his backing of Hoffenheim all the way from the 5th division to the Bundesliga and Champions League. I'm all for protesting against Hoffenheim and RB Leipzig because of how the clubs have achieved their success by not following the 50+1 rule but there is a way of protesting. For example Union Berlin fans once wore black bin bags to protest against Leipzig.

It's wrong to put a guys face in crosshairs on a banner or have insults about his Mother. That takes it too far and could even put Dietmar Hopp in danger if one dummkopf decides to act upon his hatred.

This article explains the story:

https://www.dw.com/en/bundesliga-bayern-...a-52591558
The thing is, unless I'm mistaken, Bayern fans didn't display the crosshairs image. So why the extreme reaction? I guess there are many things that are different about British and German football culture, but to use a relevant example, I'm pretty sure worse things have been chanted and written on banners about Mike Ashley than Dietmar Hopp. Was there really any need for such histrionics from the players and coaches to what's almost a run-of-the-mill occurrence in this country?
I guess it's because it is Bayern Munich, the one German club that every football fan will know. It brings more negative coverage to German football when it's Bayern Munich involved so the response is bigger, rightly or wrongly.
Ska'dForLife-WBA likes this post
I suppose that makes sense, although there's more than a touch of the old Streisand Effect about it. After all, the one way you can absolutely guarantee that this will become international news and bring negative coverage to German football is for all the players to flounce off the pitch in unison, and then spend the last quarter of an hour doing an impromptu re-enactment of the Shame of Gijon.
Well Bayern Munich is known as FC Hollywood for a reason.

Now some of the Union Berlin ultras have held up a banner. The match was paused for less than a minute while an announcement was made and then play continued.

Now two more banners with Hopp's face in crosshairs on one and HURENSOHN printed on another one. Players taken off the pitch.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »