Thread Rating:
WBA vs Stoke - Match Thread
(21-01-2020, 12:25)wba13 Wrote:
(21-01-2020, 11:05)BaggieSteve Wrote: After such a disappointing result and depressing performance, I guess there is a danger of an over the top reaction by all fans, and we should remember that we are still top.

However, this seems to have gone from a blip to a set pattern; we have lost all momentum, so that the 13 points lead has all but disappeared and, more worryingly, we appear to be a team running on empty while those behind us (excluding Leeds) have got steam up. You guys see more of the Baggies than I do but, even watching from a distance, it always seemed that this might happen because the squad, in some key areas, seemed light, and that Bilic was extracting maximum performance and results from it. I know we were blessed last year with Gayle's and Rodriguez's goals but another key factor was their continual presence - they picked themselves. This year, we have three strikers, none of whom are reliable finishers - consequently, there is no continuity, we never know who will get selected from week to week. In all honesty, none of them are good enough to justify being a first name on the team sheet. Sawyers and Livermore are no longer providing the engine room of earlier in the season - I'm not sure if they are knackered or if they've reached their performance level - Phillips has not delivered like we know he can, we have been so unlucky with Diangana's injury and it seems that has had a knock on effect to Pereira, who cannot carry the the creative role on his own. As regards the defence, we have been littered with individual mistakes and an inability to defend set pieces; this has been an issue all season but, when we were scoring for fun, it was not really an issue but it is now.

Something has to change, that's clear because this won't right itself on its own. I do think we need reinforcements this transfer window - we must get a reliable striker (difficult to find I appreciate) - and I'm assuming that Diangana is finished with us, so I think we must get additional creativity. However, I also think he has to break up the Sawyers/Livermore partnership because it's no longer effective. Bilic might also want to play O'Shea in central defence and replace one of the regular three.

As I say, you see more of the team than I do so I'd be really interested in everyone's thoughts. This is not a doom and gloom post, I hope. There's plenty of optimism but we need to do something now, otherwise it's the play offs.

You will get no doom and gloom from me , we need a couple of new faces to freshen us up. But if you would have asked me at the start of season where we would be at this stage , I would have bitten your hand off to say top. Still top and everything to play for I also refuse to slag of any players who aren’t performing.

Well said wba13. All right calm down ( in a Scouse accent). We have been poor the last 5 or so games but KEEP THE FAITH. IMHO we need a striker & a winger. Play Brunty a left back instead of Townsend.
(21-01-2020, 13:22)Northwalesbaggie Wrote:
(21-01-2020, 11:05)BaggieSteve Wrote: After such a disappointing result and depressing performance, I guess there is a danger of an over the top reaction by all fans, and we should remember that we are still top.

However, this seems to have gone from a blip to a set pattern; we have lost all momentum, so that the 13 points lead has all but disappeared and, more worryingly, we appear to be a team running on empty while those behind us (excluding Leeds) have got steam up. You guys see more of the Baggies than I do but, even watching from a distance, it always seemed that this might happen because the squad, in some key areas, seemed light, and that Bilic was extracting maximum performance and results from it. I know we were blessed last year with Gayle's and Rodriguez's goals but another key factor was their continual presence - they picked themselves. This year, we have three strikers, none of whom are reliable finishers - consequently, there is no continuity, we never know who will get selected from week to week. In all honesty, none of them are good enough to justify being a first name on the team sheet. Sawyers and Livermore are no longer providing the engine room of earlier in the season - I'm not sure if they are knackered or if they've reached their performance level - Phillips has not delivered like we know he can, we have been so unlucky with Diangana's injury and it seems that has had a knock on effect to Pereira, who cannot carry the the creative role on his own. As regards the defence, we have been littered with individual mistakes and an inability to defend set pieces; this has been an issue all season but, when we were scoring for fun, it was not really an issue but it is now.

Something has to change, that's clear because this won't right itself on its own. I do think we need reinforcements this transfer window - we must get a reliable striker (difficult to find I appreciate) - and I'm assuming that Diangana is finished with us, so I think we must get additional creativity. However, I also think he has to break up the Sawyers/Livermore partnership because it's no longer effective. Bilic might also want to play O'Shea in central defence and replace one of the regular three.

As I say, you see more of the team than I do so I'd be really interested in everyone's thoughts. This is not a doom and gloom post, I hope. There's plenty of optimism but we need to do something now, otherwise it's the play offs.

You will get no doom and gloom from me , we need a couple of new faces to freshen us up. But if you would have asked me at the start of season where we would be at this stage , I would have bitten your hand off to say top. Still top and everything to play for I also refuse to slag of any players who aren’t performing.

Well said wba13. All right calm down ( in a Scouse accent). We have been poor the last 5 or so games but KEEP THE FAITH. IMHO we need a striker & a winger. Play Brunty a left back instead of Townsend.

Well, to be fair, I don’t think I was exactly getting hysterical about this. However, if we don’t think something needs to change, I think that’s wrong. I’m not panicking but neither am I complacent about as I’m sure Bilic isn’t either. So, I’m perfectly calm about it but just pointing out that what we’re doing now isn’t working; if it ain’t working, change it
(21-01-2020, 13:40)BaggieSteve Wrote:

Well, to be fair, I don’t think I was exactly getting hysterical about this. However, if we don’t think something needs to change, I think that’s wrong. I’m not panicking but neither am I complacent about as I’m sure Bilic isn’t either. So, I’m perfectly calm about it but just pointing out that what we’re doing now isn’t working; if it ain’t working, change it

Agreed Baggie Steve. Not having a "pop" at you my fellow Baggies Supporter... not in my nature. We are one for all & all for one Wink . I thought Jake Livermore had a very poor game last night. It seems that the energy has gone out of him. Maybe rest him?
BaggieSteve likes this post
(21-01-2020, 16:03)Northwalesbaggie Wrote:
(21-01-2020, 13:40)BaggieSteve Wrote:

Agreed Baggie Steve. Not having a "pop" at you my fellow Baggies Supporter... not in my nature. We are one for all & all for one  Wink . I thought Jake Livermore had a very poor game last night. It seems that the energy has gone out of him. Maybe rest him?

I honestly didn’t take it that way. North Wales, it’s just so frustrating when thinking back to the brilliant run we were on. I agree about Livermore, would you replace him with Harper or try something different? Losing Diangana has really hurt us, our slide and his injury are no coincidence in my book.
However, as we all say, keep the faith Smile
Nice to see that nobody on here is getting hysterical and calling for SB 's head!
Great work my fellow Baguettes....
... let's keep it positive and keep the faith!
BaggieSteve and bomberbrown1968 like this post
I'm not calling for bilic's head, but between him - Dowling and Jenkins they have to get us out of the rut we are in.
Bilic must change the players and Dowling must get fresh faces in - while Jenkins needs to find the cash.
Without these changes we will be lucky to make the play off's

I'm more focussed on Lai - why did he buy the club, he is obviously not interested - it can only be for business reasons.
BaggieSteve likes this post
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
Championship form table (Last 6 games)

1st - Nottingham Forest : 13pts
2nd - Middlesbrough : 13pts
3rd - Reading : 13pts
4th - Fulham : 13pts
5th - Brentford : 11pts
6th - Millwall - 11pts

22nd - Birmingham : 5pts
23rd - WBA 4pts. Sick
24th - Luton - 1pts

#WBA
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
Pereira banned for 3 games for violent conduct. It just gets better and better ?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »