Thread Rating:
A UK General Election and Trump already "sticking his nose" in it....
0762, there are English people, well at least one that I know of, that has lived in Scotland for longer than your example, who was told to get back to England at the time of the independence vote.
Anyway, if this thread has become all about your independence, I'm out of it. Good luck to you but I have things to worry about in England.
spireitematt and St Charles Owl like this post
(19-12-2019, 01:59)ritchiebaby Wrote: I'd like to comment on 0762's addition to his original post #257.

Thankfully on all my visits to various parts of England, I have never come across any negativity towards the Scots as encountered by your nephew. I have met English people on holidays abroad and have been welcomed as a friend and acquaintance on every occasion. Long may it continue.

When I lived in England Ritchie, albeit on the south coast and in the 90s I encountered some of it. Mostly condescending, ignorant, pish but occasionally it crossed into violence on an evening out. I always took care to bland my accent out when I was in pubs etc.

That said I never had any problems living in Birmingham,london or Liverpool. The people were absolutely great there. The best thing about England is the English people - its Westminster I can't stand.
St Charles Owl and ritchiebaby like this post
It must be emphasised that thankfully it is still a minority of people who do this but there is absolutely no doubt that the poisonous political narrative in England from fascists like Farage and others within the Brexit govt (and previous Tory govt) has "fueled" a real antagonism against certain groups of people and that is well documented.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjVJI0hJQ8o
Listen to the poisonous comments of this Tory woman, Lucy Frazer. It is a fairly old video but note this woman is a barrister and not stupid. Yet she could stand up in Parliament and spout off this racist shit unchallenged. She actually required Police protection for a while after that crazy episode!! All I'm saying is there are many like her in Westminster and there's one of the biggest instigators of this shit, Farage, being recognised by the English establishment by being awarded a knighthood - YOU COULDN'T MAKE IT UP!!! Queen Lizzy should refuse to do it!!!
I think there is also a spread of discreet discrimination that has spread throughout regions of England that one can only gauge from many comments and anecdotes on SM boards like this one. IMO it is a similar trend as "infected" a significant portion of the German population in the 1930s and it was "stoked up" by the brainwashing state media.
(19-12-2019, 07:49)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: 0762, there are English people, well at least one that I know of, that has lived in Scotland for longer than your example, who was told to get back to England at the time of the independence vote.
Anyway, if this thread has become all about your independence, I'm out of it. Good luck to you but I have things to worry about in England.

Thanks for the good luck message Amelia. The main point that was being made was how poisoned many parts of England have become as a result of Brexit and lets remove the anti-Scottish element totally from the debate - I thought it was an anecdote worth mentioning but it is a small part of the "bigger picture" of the toxic nature of what is going on in England against various groups of people due to Brexit and the poisonous narrative from fascist morons in the Brexit Party govt. My target is 100% the fascists in Westminster and what they are getting away with!! Lets be clear about that and indeed I am repeating that fact from many, many threads ago!! Also good luck re dealing with your concerns because I sympathise greatly with the millions n millions of decent English people who are gonna be stuck with this fascist govt with no fall back position whatsoever and can only "live in forlorn hope" that the "land of milk and honey" will arrive in all regions of England incl Yorks.

(19-12-2019, 08:33)hibeejim21 Wrote:
(19-12-2019, 01:59)ritchiebaby Wrote: I'd like to comment on 0762's addition to his original post #257.

Thankfully on all my visits to various parts of England, I have never come across any negativity towards the Scots as encountered by your nephew. I have met English people on holidays abroad and have been welcomed as a friend and acquaintance on every occasion. Long may it continue.

When I lived in England Ritchie, albeit on the south coast and in the 90s I encountered some of it. Mostly condescending, ignorant, pish but occasionally it crossed into violence on an evening out. I always took care to bland my accent out when I was in pubs etc.

That said I never had any problems living in Birmingham,london or Liverpool. The people were absolutely great there. The best thing about England is the English people - its Westminster I can't stand.

You mention Liverpool and I must say the pre-election mood in the city centred on vilifying the population in the likes of Bootle - residents who many people perceived as treacherously voting for Johnson - Johnson is well known for making unsavoury remarks against the people of Liverpool - relative to the Hillsborough tragedy. Most of the populace still remember this shit and despise him with a passion. There's also a historical strong Scottish influence in Liverpool as well as Manchester. I regard that unsavoury anecdote from Swindon as a random "snapshot" and got me thinking about the likes of Corby if some moron tried to pull the same stunt in a Corby pub - Corby is the mini-Scotland of England and lotsa them are staunch Scottish more than many Scots up here but they speak with English accents. The reason I know this is the fact that lotsa them followed Scotland with the Tartan Army and it was quite an eyeopener to meet many of them and finding out where they came from - offspring from the Corby steel industry all these decades n decades ago!
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
(19-12-2019, 08:33)hibeejim21 Wrote:

Majority of English people can't stand Westminster.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/q...9o5rbifMOk

Johnson already breaking a big promise to lotsa people in the populace????? Surely not lol Laugh A known serial liar/decepticon who has no regard for you, me, any silly plonkers who voted for him in a bedsit etc etc - the list is endless - he cares for himself and his shameless, posh-spoken unscrupulous wealthy elite Tory chums who havenae seen deprivation in their lives!!!! Thumb down If Clegg can violate a manifesto then he can do it too eh!!! To think Australia has a statutory law in place that deems this kinda shit a criminal offence and quite right too to stop c#### like these ones and others "taking the piss" out of people "on the street" and the silly electoral system that we have in this country!!!
A lot of people of minimum wage will have voted for them. I am worried they will scrap the minimum wage altogether.
(23-12-2019, 00:31)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: A lot of people of minimum wage will have voted for them. I am worried they will scrap the minimum wage altogether.

They won't scrap the minimum wage because if they did there would be uproar. They have gone back on increasing the minimum wage or the living wage by putting in a clause to say if the economy is faltering then they won't increase it.

They plan to scrap EU rules on working hours and paid holidays and want to get rid of the Working Time Directive which I think is a bad idea. I think a lot of people may rue the day they voted for them especially if they double cross the people who voted for them.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
I'm actually curious what it will actually take for a huge "shift" of people to really take to the streets and fight against a gang of political morons with an undeterred divisive ideology that does no favours for those who are not "one of them" and they flaunt this narrow attitude and agenda as it has become clear through almost the last four decades that they have literally "got away with murder" when they have gained political power during a big part of that period. The poll tax riots and the miners' strikes/riots in the early 1980s were about the only times when people really fought against a political enemy in the form of the Tories and a callous PM named Thatcher. Since then, it has become more n more passive although there have been massive protests re certain political events such as the Iraq war. I think a "watershed" moment passed a long time ago and there is no threat to a cynical RW govt like the present one to literally do what they like; even setting up horrible concentration camps for targeted ethnic groups I reckon would be tolerated in England, such is the degradation in morality and values in a big chunk of the population with no social conscience or principle whatsoever. It does not augur well for the future TBF.
(23-12-2019, 00:31)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: A lot of people of minimum wage will have voted for them. I am worried they will scrap the minimum wage altogether.

And so you should Amelia.

Brexit is not and never was about leaving the EU.

It was always about getting consent from England for a British supremacist project which will transfer the last of working people's wealth to a non-working layer of society who will also be filling their pockets from the financial consequences of Brexit and stashing it all (unseen) offshore. We will both be watching it happening in real time.

I guess the question following that is - what happens to Britain when the 1% have like all the wealth ? Because that's where it's heading.

(23-12-2019, 02:20)spireitematt Wrote:

They won't scrap the minimum wage because if they did there would be uproar. They have gone back on increasing the minimum wage or the living wage by putting in a clause to say if the economy is faltering then they won't increase it.

They plan to scrap EU rules on working hours and paid holidays and want to get rid of the Working Time Directive which I think is a bad idea. I think a lot of people may rue the day they voted for them especially if they double cross the people who voted for them.

Laugh

Of course they are going to xxxx double cross the people who voted for them. Thankfully for the tories most of the electorate are too dim to hold them to account and will likely just doff their cap to their masters and go on blaming immigrants and commies.

Make no mistake matt, they are lining us up for a US style 'sink or swim' type economy. Its going to be savage, and the northerners and midland punters who voted tory this time will feel it sharpest. I suppose that's fair.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »