Thread Rating:
Atlantic League Cup
Heart 
I think the smaller to medium size European nations should have extra cross border cups on top of UEFA competitions, and on top of domestic football. 
I know UEFA will not allow cross border leagues, but they do not seem to have a problem with cross border cups. As shown by them allowing the Scandinavian Royal League, and the allowance of non-Scottish sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup. 
My view is that countries like Scotland, Poland, Wales, Switzerland, Sweden, Northern Ireland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, the Republic of Ireland. Denmark, Austria, Belgium, Portugal, the Netherlands, Greece, Lithuania, Cyprus, Romania, and others could get together and create a new group stage competitive trophy on top of the UEFA Champions League, Europa League and the New Europa Conference League. 
My idea could even allow France, Russia, and the Ukraine to enter sides. 
I would love more cross border football, on top of what we have. 
I am Scottish, and from my point of view we could have a 16 team Scottish Premier and then enter all 16 teams each year in the Atlantic League Cup. It would be a group stage trophy. With group winners qualifying for a knockout stage. 
Wink
I think the fans would love more cross border games.
Imagine games like Aberdeen v Basel, Ajax v Glasgow Rangers, Legia Warsaw v Dundee United, AIK Stockholm v Hibernian, Copenhagen v Heart of Midlothian, Ross County v AEK Athens, Motherwell v Brondby, Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Porto. Benfica v Zurich, Sporting Lisbon v IFK.
BouncingHibees likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »