Thread Rating:
Cyrille Van Basten?
Can anyone shed any light on that Johan Cruyff as Ajax Manager wanted Cyrille Regis (Then at Coventry city) to replace Marco Van Basten who they sold to AC Milan?

Sure I read somewhere that Cruyff was mega impressed with Regis qualities but the club just couldn't afford him and instead plumped for Frank Stapleton from Man Utd who by then was quite immobile and duly flopped

Criminal how many England caps Cyrille won, for a player with so much all round ability and looking back who they took in the squads instead
cyrille was overlooked simply because he played for an unfashionable club
we had several players who would have walked into any England side had they been playing for a London club
that squad we had back then never got the recognition they deserved
@Kristien 1965
(29-07-2019, 20:51)Arcane Astral Aeons Wrote: cyrille was overlooked simply because he played for an unfashionable club
we had several players who would have walked into any England side had they been playing for a London club

A lot of truth in that young sir,
I know one of our ex players who was sold and was installed as England Captain within a short while.
3rd in the all time list behind Billy Wright and Bobby Moore as captain appearances for England.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
(29-07-2019, 21:45)Blue Baggie Wrote:
(29-07-2019, 20:51)Arcane Astral Aeons Wrote: cyrille was overlooked simply because he played for an unfashionable club

A lot of truth in that young sir,
I know one of our ex players who was sold and was installed as England Captain within a short while.
3rd in the all time list behind Billy Wright and Bobby Moore as captain appearances for England.

Mr Robson the Brian Type
as i said would not have got anywhere near the England side had he stayed at WBA
does he still hold the record for the fastest ever world cup goal
or(if i`m wrong) is that turkish player (name escapes me) during the 2002 third placed play off v South Korea?
@Kristien 1965
Hakan Sukur?

Personally I always think particularly in the 80`s there was an agenda against black players in the England team, particuarly Laurie and Cyrille who had attributes and qualities exceeding many of the oft tried and tested players who had failed on previous occasions
Dont think there were was any anti-Mercian agenda, certainly many players were in the early eighties playing for Ipswich or Liverpool

Certainly Kerry Dixon for example scored a lot but was his all round game on par with Regis for pace? in the air? holding up play?

Anyway found the Cyrille for Ajax article

https://www.ajaxdaily.com/2018/the-wrong...and-place/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »