Thread Rating:
WIMBLEDON 2019 THREAD
Venus plays for pleasure. She is a graceful loser and was the ideal opponent for Coco, win or lose. She let the game be about Coco's success rather than her failure. Venus played quite well.

If Coco learns to throw the ball up when serving she's going to devastate the women's game.
Lord Snooty likes this post
By the way Heather Watson did well despite her serve being broken six out of the first seven efforts. She came through against the American teen she was playing (whose serve is going to be a weapon rather than a disadvantage). Unfortunately Heather is now going to get hammered by Kontaveit who is more british than the British in all but nationality.

Told you Naomi Osaka wouldn't like the draw. Either Putintseva or Sofia Kenin is going to come through that portion of the draw, both really awkward scrapping opponents, equally likely to upset the stately Caroline Wozniaki. As for Coco Gauff, if she wins another match she'll play Madison Keys, who'll feel as if she has everything to lose and very little to gain against a 15 year old compatriot.
I'm afraid Coco's run will come to an end against the unwatchable Halep, unless she can somehow achieve the consistency she was able to show against much lower-ranked players in the Qualifiers. I don't think even the crowd, emotion and Halep's tendency to be paralysed by nerves will get Coco any further. But she's 15, looks it, but she conducts herself like 19 or 20. What is she going to be like when her game and physique match her mind-set?

Neither Federer nor Djokovic has looked quite right to me yet, but the supposed big dangers amongst the young guns Tsitsipas, Thiem and Zverev have all gone ..... and now Allassime couldn't live with Ugo Humbert whose tournament only set off on the right foot because Gael Monfils retired injured against him. Nadal beat Kyrgios, who I have to admit adds to the entertainment despite behaviour I ought to hate, but somehow enjoy, and that makes me think even a top-of-his game Tsonga won't live with Rafa ..... and I don't think Jo is at his best. Now if Humbert's swinging serve could just upset Djokovic, anyone might win it. Anyone other than Raonic that is.
The Barty Party is over. The number one seed is out. Beaten in three sets by Alison Riske.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
And Raonic did go out to Pella who is good to watch, but I don't think he could live with Nadal, Djokovic or Federer.

Jo Konta has apparently the easiest quarter final draw but Strycova is a seriously good grass-court player well capable of slicing and spinning with anyone's head. Jo will do really well to come through that one.

Never enjoy watching Halep but she's the highest ranked player left. If Serena were anywhere near her best she'd waltz it from here on in, but I don't really think she is anywhere near her best.

So the men look on course to provide a boringly obvious winner, whilst the women ....... roll an octagon dice and take a chance.
If JoKo can win today, it's Serena next. That would be massive.
JoKo loses the first set 6-7 after being 4-1 up. Rolleyes
Doing her best to go out at the moment.
Not all men are sexist but all men can stop sexism. CALL IT OUT!
Wimpered out. Sad
She was much more feisty fending off patronising media men in the post match press conference.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »