Thread Rating:
31 Aug, 2021 Transfer Window: Championship Rebuild
Benfica B's English former Arsenal forward Chris Willock, 21, has been linked with a summer move to West Brom. (A Bola, via Birmingham Mail)

I can hardly contain my excitement.
(16-05-2019, 10:57)Baggievicar Wrote: Benfica B's English former Arsenal forward Chris Willock, 21, has been linked with a summer move to West Brom. (A Bola, via Birmingham Mail)

I can hardly contain my excitement.

BV, seems a little harsh, he's played for Arsenal and Benfica, both teams who compete at the top end of their leagues and in the also ran and Europa leagues. He may not make their first teams but we're a long way from that level ..... he's young still learning and could be an asset along side our academy products ...... better than the pensioners we have been signing I would have thought .... although I don't know him and haven't seen him play.

But surely younger long term players are what we need, build now a squad with room to grow and develop. Mid career players with promising youngsters. Keep Harper, Field and co build around them.
Baggievicar likes this post
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/chris-wi...ler/314341

11 goals in 33 matches this season from the right wing.
(16-05-2019, 13:27)WBA-Josh Wrote: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/chris-wi...ler/314341

11 goals in 33 matches this season from the right wing.

Stats sound quite good, but that's dependent on the opposition your facing.

If the fees are right, these are the sort of players we should be signing, young, full of potential and English. Build a good young squad but don't forget to refresh it, last five or more years we have not, we've allowed it to stagnate and age.

Scout an find talented players from overseas, anyone remember someone called Gera, we found plenty of rough diamonds in the past, time to dig and get out our polishing cloths.
Well an interesting summer ahead, but how many times have we said that before only to get a damp squid at best.

With the definite departures of Holgate, Johansen, Murphy, Adarabioyo, Gayle and Montero. There are quite a few holes to fill, undoubtedly holes which are going to get considerably bigger.

I can't see Harper signing now, unless no one comes in for him, Edwards the same, but I think we have a better chance of Edwards signing a new deal. Barry, Brunt and Morrison, we may have to offer them a contract (well Brunt and Morrison anyway) just to make the numbers up. As for the rest whose contracts are expiring, I am not sure we need any of them.

Holgate is one I would put a sneaky bid in for, though he is good enough at this level, I am not so sure that he is for the Premiership. Maybe the lure of first team football may be enough, if Everton were interested. We have to at least enquire about Gayle with Rondon as the lure, though with his 16.5 Million buy-out clause now we did not get promoted, it will be much harder. As for the rest I do not think we could afford some or need others.

Of the players still under contract who may leave: Gibbs – Dawson - Hegazy Livermore – Phillips - Leko – Field - Robson-Kanu - Rodriguez – Rondon

For me the biggest dangers in terms of departing are, Hergazy almost certain to be offered a deal elsewhere, Rod stands a chance of being sort after. Rondon is unlikely to be with us next season, as for the rest I think we have a 50/50 chance of holding on to them. Gibbs, not the player of 10 years ago, still very useful, but would anyone offer him a better deal than he already has? Daws, well who knows, no one seriously came after him last time. Livermore, not sure he is Premiership quality any more. Phillips, a touch of a risk for other clubs with his fitness issues. Leko, I wish someone would come in for him after his play against the Vile (the only player on the pitch who did not look like they cared). Field, I cannot see him going just yet. HRK, if no one wanted him when we signed him, I doubt there will be a queue after him now.

So as a minimum IMO we are going to need:

Right Back and spare
2 centre backs
4 Midfielders
2 Strikers

Anyone have a spare 50 or 60 million they do not need for a year or two because I can't see our owner dipping his hand in his pocket.
timspiers@expressandstar

Wolves have met the release clause in Solomon Rondons contract down to player and club now,Rondon keen, if Newcastle dont move soon expect Rondon to be a Wolves player soon .... Angry
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
Not wishing to get anybody's hopes up but we have been here before but rumours are we may spend a little more this season?
Although our net spend was -12 million Laugh

But Matt Wilson just tweted ...........

Quote from Matt Wilson@express and star

“I think Albion will look to have a bit more of a rebuild this summer. Last summer they kept their Premier league squad thinking of getting back at the first time. This time I think they’ll need a bit more of a rebuild and we’ll see a bit more ambition, especially in the market in terms of selling and buying. I think it could be a very different Albion team kicking off next season.”

Sounds a bit ambitious for us, but this young up and coming Jurno is still, in my opinion, the best local Journo for all things Albion, so hope he's right this time as well.
Maybe or are those just his thoughts ? if Matts the best local journ the other nationally is JohnPercy@telegraph
Percy today also tweeted ........
"Albion sources insist money will be spent, as they target young hungry players to build a new squad capable of a promotion challenge".

I assume that the 'Albion sources' are not Matt Wilson himself so there do seem to be some encouraging mutterings emerging.
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
Can I take this opportunity to thank the LEGEND that is James Morrison, for his twelve years of undying devotion and service to our club, he was a rock we could rely on, he was a part in our successes and our prolonged stay in the greed league ...... his last two years were blighted by injuries but he was still in there right at the death taking and scoring a penalty in the shoot out which kept the hope alive. He could have said no and saved himself the stress, but heart on sleeve he stepped up and did his duty.

JIMMY JIMMY MORRISON YOU'LL ALWAYS BE A BAGGIE

Good luck for your future, hope your plans are successful, good health to you and your family.
Thank you for the memories.

And now a thank you to all our other departing players, you have all been part of the Albion family, as with all families some have been more successful than others. You have all pulled on the stripes and given it a go.
Thank you and good luck with your future ventures .....
talkSAFT and BaggieSteve like this post
Absolutely spot on 4ever.
I am sure a couple of years ago there was talk of a joint testimonial for Jimmy and Brunty. Well Baggies hierarchy, now is the time to sort one for these two loyal Baggies. Come on! These players deserve our thanks for the loyalty and commitment they have shown towards our great club.
4evaabaggie, Salopbaggie, Worldclassalbion And 1 others like this post
(19-05-2019, 03:08)Beefy 1965 Wrote: Quote from Matt Wilson@express and star

“I think Albion will look to have a bit more of a rebuild this summer. Last summer they kept their Premier league squad thinking of getting back at the first time. This time I think they’ll need a bit more of a rebuild and we’ll see a bit more ambition, especially in the market in terms of selling and buying. I think it could be a very different Albion team kicking off next season.”

While I agree with him, I would like to hear it from the club, rather than a reporter who uses the phrase "I think" three times and thinking once in a two line paragraph, when none of the 'I think'(s) are needed for an opinion piece.

'Albion will look to have a bit more of a rebuild this summer. Last summer they kept their Premier league squad thinking of getting back at the first time. This time they’ll need a bit more of a rebuild and we’ll see a bit more ambition, especially in the market in terms of selling and buying. It could be a very different Albion team kicking off next season.'

Matt Wilson is usually a reasonable reporter, 'I think' he must be in 'On The Beach' mode. Whistle Big Grin Whistle
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »