Thread Rating:
WBA vs Blues - Match Thread
At this stage of the season, performances are not as important, if we can finish off with seven more wins then automatic promotion is still a possibility, if necessary win ugly but just make sure we win ...... We could still rescue an indifferent season ....... still a big thanks to big Dave, we have had issues but where are stjoke and Swansea in the promotion race ??????

Wow ..... just checked the table .... stjoke and Swansea both equal on points, 47, ten points off of the play off positions, we could easily have done the same ....... big Dave didn't do so bad ........
(30-03-2019, 02:52)Ska\dForLife-WBA Wrote:
(30-03-2019, 00:22)Slick_Footwork Wrote: It's an interesting one with Shan, 3 wins from 3, but the team selections and performances are dreadful...

One thing he's got in abundance so far is blind luck, I just hope that continues.

Yeah, nail on the head for me.  It's Big Dave selections, tactics and performances, but with the extra stroke of good fortune that eluded Darren towards the end.

But a great derby game in spite of a dire first-half showing from Albion.

I feel like Shan's tactics are even worse than Moore's, but he's far luckier.

I do think he's made 2 positive changes, putting Gayle back central and cutting out the passing at the back. But the rest of his team selections are mind boggling.

First half yesterday I couldn't even tell what the formation was. There was no pattern of play, Mozza was dumped back on the right wing where I haven't seen him for donkeys years, I couldn't tell if Rodriguez was up top in a 4-4-2 or in central midfield in a very defensive 4-5-1. Either way, we had nothing more than hoof ball nothing between the lines.

How he can continue to play Townsend is beyond me, he's absolutely dreadful. Given that Brunt is a spent force in midfield and who best contributes crossing the ball from set plays, putting Brunt in for Townsend at left back and restoring one of Barry or Harper to midfield, probably 2 of our best 5 players this season, would instantly improve the side.

One of the Villa fans at work was texting me during the first half saying we looked a shadow of the side that played so well against them at Villa Park. But when I compared the 2 sides, they completely different. Funnily enough, that performance came when Gayle was suspended, so we didn't have one of him or Rodriguez playing out of position. We had Murphy and HRK on the wings, Harper at the head of the midfield driving forward at pace and the steady Barry and Livermore behind him.

That side yesterday resembled something that the manager picked out of a hat.
(30-03-2019, 11:51)Salopbaggie Wrote:
(30-03-2019, 02:52)Ska\dForLife-WBA Wrote:
(30-03-2019, 00:22)Slick_Footwork Wrote: It's an interesting one with Shan, 3 wins from 3, but the team selections and performances are dreadful...

One thing he's got in abundance so far is blind luck, I just hope that continues.

Yeah, nail on the head for me.  It's Big Dave selections, tactics and performances, but with the extra stroke of good fortune that eluded Darren towards the end.

But a great derby game in spite of a dire first-half showing from Albion.

That does not sound like you ska'd,  Big Dave's selections? Mozza and Brunt restored to the starting eleven, Edwards and Townsend starting (granted I doubt Townsend would start if Gibbs was fit) and the substitution of Mozza for HRK at halftime was inspired.  On tactics, I did not see us trying to play out from the back on every occasion or 1 foot forward 2 feet back balls.  I also think it a touch harsh to suggest that the 3 wins are down to luck, there is always the need for a touch of luck in a game and yes the penalty decision may not been given on a different day, but even on playback the decision was probably correct.

Was commenting after a few pints, right before going to bed! I did think about qualifying the remark by mentioning how we've stopped the more suicidal passing routines, and you're right that Shan is giving different players a go, but for brevity's sake I was trying to get across that I don't think we've magically transformed in terms of performances. And to be honest, with the exception of Leeds at home when we absolutely outclassed them, I think we've been relying on luck all season against decent sides. We're not stamping our authority on opponents as often or as easily as the teams above us.
Salopbaggie likes this post
Off topic a bit, but I posted at 21:34 last night, though it says 23:34.
Good job we haven't put the clocks forward yet. Way past my bedtime!
Angel Confused Whistle
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
(30-03-2019, 17:34)talkSAFT Wrote: Off topic a bit, but I posted at 21:34 last night, though it says 23:34.
Good job we haven't put the clocks forward yet. Way past my bedtime!
Angel  Confused  Whistle

Must have overslept during your afternoon nap you old git Laugh
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
Maybe one explanation for our selection problems is we don’t have enough players of the right quality, such as Harvey Barnes.
I’m glad Brunt’s back in the picture, and Jimmy Morrison, but if by some chance we make it back to the PL this season, we’ve got a lot of re-building to do, as a few on here have said already. Our defence won’t last two minutes in the PL. There’s been games where it hasn’t lasted that in the Championship this season.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »