Player Power
lovely to see player power
just not in a major cup final
sack the keeper
he has more or less cost his manager his job
don`t care at all about chelsea
but the keeper acted like a total t**t today
@Kristien 1965
Just my 2 pennies worth, but I think you're buying into the massive overreaction created by the Sky commentators.

IMO, they were trying to hype up this incident to cover up the fact it was another dull 0-0 game.

The manager was going only going to take the goalkeeper off because he thought he was injured. He readied the sub super fast, because it was the 2nd time the goalkeeper had gone down and it was almost the end of extra time and they just wanted to see it out.

The goalkeeper felt fine after receiving treatment so signalled that he was okay to play on. Given he was only going to be replaced because of injury and not for tactical reasons, it's understandable that he wanted to get his message across.

He's a young player, on the verge of winning a major trophy who is going to get hauled off at a vital moment when he feels fit to continue. I don't think he refused to come off at all, he simply wanted to make sure the manager understood he could continue.

It was just very naive because the sub was already at the side of the pitch ready to come on. This is why it looked so bad.

Some of the hyped commentary like 'the players are running the club' is laughable. It was 1 player who didn't want to be replaced because of injury because he didn't feel he was injured. Much about nothing...

Definitely he could've conducted himself better, but I don't think it should have any implications on the manager's future. If it does, I think it will just be the straw that breaks the camels back after previous results.
(25-02-2019, 01:15)Slick_Footwork Wrote: Just my 2 pennies worth, but I think you're buying into the massive overreaction created by the Sky commentators.

IMO, they were trying to hype up this incident to cover up the fact it was another dull 0-0 game.

The manager was going only going to take the goalkeeper off because he thought he was injured. He readied the sub super fast, because it was the 2nd time the goalkeeper had gone down and it was almost the end of extra time and they just wanted to see it out.

The goalkeeper felt fine after receiving treatment so signalled that he was okay to play on. Given he was only going to be replaced because of injury and not for tactical reasons, it's understandable that he wanted to get his message across.

He's a young player, on the verge of winning a major trophy who is going to get hauled off at a vital moment when he feels fit to continue. I don't think he refused to come off at all, he simply wanted to make sure the manager understood he could continue.

It was just very naive because the sub was already at the side of the pitch ready to come on. This is why it looked so bad.

Some of the hyped commentary like 'the players are running the club' is laughable. It was 1 player who didn't want to be replaced because of injury because he didn't feel he was injured. Much about nothing...

Definitely he could've conducted himself better, but I don't think it should have any implications on the manager's future. If it does, I think it will just be the straw that breaks the camels back after previous results.

Disagree with this being hyped. Sarri’s reaction said it all, he wanted to make the sub, he is the manager he makes that decision irrespective of what the player thinks. This player should not play again, he has not only shown up his manager on a big stage, he has undermined the whole hierarchy and decision making that every football team has to have. I’m also not convinced this was about the injury, Cabalerro has a very good penalty saving record as well so this could have been a tactical decision. Either way, the players have to follow the managers instructions and he blatantly ignored them!!
hibeejim21, bomberbrown1968, Stairs And 1 others like this post
Spot on SCO, whatever the reason if you're going to be subbed you go. Whether it's to the bench or down the tunnel in a strop you go. He plays for Chelsea and the MANAGER calls the shots.

IMO the pundits are right for once it should be highlighted over and over again otherwise the message to any Player is to stay on the pitch if you don't want to go off - how could that ever be acceptable
It was also noticeable that no other Chelsea player stepped in and told him to get off the pitch!! Luis talked to him but the Captain should have been straight over to him to back up the managers decision. Chelsea’s squad has previous with this sort of stuff, they think they run the club and that needs to be stamped out. Roy Keane or Patrick Vierra would have picked him up and thrown him off the pitch, as would Kompany if this had been the City keeper.
"Sarri seems to be the hardest word!"
Sorry state of modern football ..... players cost multi millions, managers are two a penny, three or four million in compensation is nothing compared to a seventy million pound goalkeeper who gets subbed then refuses to play afterwards, many many players have done the same to us, saido, odemwingie, koumas and kamara and others vs derby at wembley not playing for the team but for themselves. Clubs will back the players, hence managers now LOSING the dressing room ...... gone are managers making the decisions they are just the sacrificial lambs taking the blame. Is DM in a similar position. We'll never know but food for thought.
My point isn't that the goalkeeper reacted in the right manner. He certainly didn't react correctly. I just do not believe this was at all a personal attack by the goalkeeper on Sarri. I think it was blown massively out of proportion by the commentators.

They flat out said he "refused" to be subbed and I do not believe this was the case.

They also said he defied Sarri because Sarri is weak, because the players run the club, and because he's a puppet and the players are the puppet masters. I also do not believe any of this.

I believe the keeper made a mistake in the heat of the moment because he wanted to stay on and try to win a competition. I do not believe he would've reacted any differently for any other manager. I doubt in the heat of the moment he thought 'Sarri is just a puppet on the side so lets signal thumbs up to defy him'.

He signalled thumbs up and shouted no to try and get his message across that he was fit to continue. Yes, he huffed and puffed, both him and Sarri were angry because of confusion, but I do not believe he ever "refused" to go off.

When he clarified to the ref he was okay to continue, the ref told Sarri who chose to leave him on, problem over.

Had Sarri wanted to take him off for tactical reasons, he could've just said the decision was final and the referee would've told Kepa to go off. But sure enough, after the clarification he stayed on.

Definitely agree the keeper behaved in the wrong way, but we have to ask, would the commentators have made so much hype about it if it was 3-1 in the 80th minute? I doubt it.

The reality is, all the claims the commentators made, which I believe were false, were the highlight of a dull game - which incidentally followed a really dull United Liverpool 0-0. All this hype gives us something to talk about, a justification of Sky's ridiculous licence fees. But IMO, it was a storm in a tea cup.
...... "love player power"??!!
Well, personally I fekin well hate it. Angry Angry
I watched the whole rigmarole on Youtube earlier.

Cannot believe that the keeper is in the right. Whether he was injured or not is immaterial; his Manager wanted him off and a sub on.

At one stage it looked as if the Manager was about to go down the tunnel himself and was clearly incandescent with rage.
Don't think that that keeper is going to be first choice again anytime soon.
Some days I'm top dog, most days I'm just the lamp post.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »