Thread Rating:
InSpireds & ExSpireds
I'll start Sat 13th ....

Eoin Doyle scored again for Bradford City in yet another defeat.
Michael Onovwigun scored for Carshalton Athletic at Harlow Town in a 0-4 away win.
Louis Dodds didn't even get off the bench despite Port Vale's 2-6 home defeat by Lincoln.
Jamie Devitt on as sub for Gateshead on loan from Carlisle (who got beat by Morecambe without him!)
Jacob Brown played the full 90 for Barnsley as they went third in League One with a 3-2 win over Luton.
Ricky German didn't score or make one but played the full 90 as Hendon went 2nd with a 3-2 away win.
Colin Larkin scores the opener from the spot for Sunderland RCA as they knock Bridlington out of the FA Vase 3-2, but has another saved going for the same side.
Jake Orrell scores the first goal as Newcastle Benfield draw 3-3 with Whitley Bay.
Craig Westcarr crosses for Matlock's winner against Warrington to end their 10 match unbeaten run.
Jordan Burrow scores for York as they beat Southport 2-1.
October 20th

Nolan was unused sub for rock bottom Ipswich who still lost 0-2 at home to QPR.
Back on the bench for Oxford at Bristol after a lay-off Charlie Raglan in a 0-0 draw.
Jacob Brown gets the full 90 for Barnsley despite their 2-0 defeat at Charlton.
Ched Evans on as 68th minute sub for Fleetwood at Pompey didn’t alter the 1-0 scoreline.
At 2-0 down Dennis comes on as 46th minute sub for Notts County; game ended 4-0 to Bury.
Danny Whitaker’s venture into management brings Macclesfield their first win, against Carlisle.
Louis Dodds gets the last 9 minutes for Vale as they win 0-1 at Oldham.
Jordan Bowery nets Crewe’s winner at Stevenage and is taken off 8 minutes later.
Ricardo German scores again as Hendon consolidate second place.
Jake Beesley nets twice (one a pen) for Bradford PA in a 0-6 win at terminal Nuneaton.
Jacob Hazel scores Frickley’s opener in a 4-4 draw.
Scott Boden scores one in Gateshead’s 4-0 local FA Cup win over Dunston UTS
Delial Brewster starts for Witton Albion against Solihull, subbed after 63 minutes in a game that sees Witton only have two efforts at goal.
Craig Westcarr scores two (one a peno) and makes the other for Jamie Jackson in Matlock’s 3-3 draw with Hednesford.
Jordan Burrow scores the goal that puts York in the hat for the First Round Proper of the FA Cup.

And a rave not from our grave ……..
Remember Febian Brandy, he started out at Man Utd, was once touted as the next big thing but never made the first team, now aged 29 he scored two and was MOM for Droylsden (by my reckoning his fifteenth club) in their 6-2 win at Widnes.
Sam Muggleton, who was loaned to Darlo the other week was seriously injured on Saturday and taken to hospital by ambulance ....... which puts him back with us ....... but maybe out for the rest of his contract.

And before any cruel person asks if it was his throwing arm/s, the answer is no.
So after Sadiq El Fitouri went AWOL back in 2017, he signed for Al Ahli SC Tripoli a club in Libya made no appearances for them, then went to sign for FC Politehnica Iași in Romania and made no appearances for them and now he plays for Al-Hilal which is a club in Sudan. Interestingly he's made more appearances for the Libyan National team than he has at club level.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
I set out to track our former players every week through the season, but it proved too much for me. I’m sure I’ll have forgotten some here, but this is an update.

Richard Wood is currently Rotherham captain and very much their talisman in the battle against relegation, whilst Liam Cooper attempts a similar role for Marcelo Bielsa’s promotion-chasing Leeds. Unfortunately a draw for Rotherham on Saturday makes relegation look even more likely and Che Adams’ goal for Birmingham might condemn Leeds to the play-offs as their star man Hernandez also suffered an injury on the day.

Amazingly Mark Duffy who struggled for a game with us whilst on loan continues to flourish at Sheffield United for whom he was starter in their 0-1 win over Preston. North End for their part may have been missing the influence of Daniel Johnson who is still fondly remembered in Chesterfield.

The upward curve to Jon Nolan’s career of Grimsby, Chesterfield, Shrewsbury seems to have hit a downward turn on reaching Ipswich. Though he has been a regular part of the team, The Tractor Boys achieved only their fourth league win of the season on Saturday without him ….

At Stoke, where he was signed for £6 million, Sam Clucas currently seems to be reflecting his team’s disappointing season. On Saturday he came on as sub for the injured Paul Ince which puts him on twenty-odd appearances. He’s scored a couple of goals, but it seems that sometime during his spell at Swansea everyone, including himself, suddenly forgot what he was about. He is that bloke you can certainly play anywhere on the left or down the middle and he’ll do you a job and create danger, win the ball, score goals, provide a cross, pick a pass ……… He needs someone to find him again. Call Glenn Hoddle?

After topping the scoring charts in the Southern League Premier South Ricky German was picked up on a long-term contract by Crawley but so far has clearly impressed them in training no more than he did Gary Caldwell. Crawley are losing most of the time, but Ricky appears confined to brief appearances from the bench –the very same process by which he failed to impress Chesterfield. Only Hendon so far have worked out he needs to start and be given confidence by being entrusted with penalty kicks etc.

Diego de Girolamo gets a game at Buxton but isn’t near meeting his promise as a junior, but Buxton are challenging for the play-offs despite losing to the leaders Farsley Celtic on Saturday

Trevor Carson has been out since the end of November with deep-vein thrombosis for mid-table Motherwell, for whom Peter Hartley, after injury, now seems largely confined to the bench whilst Liam Grimshaw has become now a regular at the back and up front loaned Gboly Ariyibi tends to start, but is usually replaced around the 70th minute mark.

Sam Morsy remains captain at Wigan but they continue to struggle and Gary Roberts isn’t on the bench.

Jacob Brown largely keeps his place at Barnsley as they bid for promotion, but as on Saturday, when he was replaced after 60 minutes, seems to be one of those regularly substituted.

Reece Brown is making his mark at Forest Green where he has become a mainspring of the team and has found the net 10 times so far from midfield.

Jordan Bowery will be 28 in July. So far this season he has made 45 appearances for Crewe in all competitions, last season he managed 51. In that time he’s managed 22 goals for Crewe. As during Saturday’s defeat at Port Vale he usually gets the full 90, is hugely experienced in terms of appearances, should be at his peak and his contract with Crewe will be up at the end of the season ………… and he’ll be on the look-out for his tenth club.

Our former keepers are largely retaining their places in League 1: Alex Cairns remains first choice at Fleetwood, as does O'Donnell at Bradford City, who regularly also include Eoin Doyle, despite the team’s persistent failure, and Aaron Chapman who lost his place when Peterborough began to stutter has now regained as their promotion push is lapsing into silence and kept a clean sheet when they won on Saturday. Our Bournemouth loanee Ramsdale is perhaps the most successful at the moment, having played a huge part in Wimbledon’s attempt to escape a relegation, which looked pretty much nailed-on prior to his arrival.

Ryan Fulton did finally get a first team chance at Hamilton and perhaps predictably fluffed it and has now returned to a seated position, whilst Cameron Mason retains his place at Curzon Ashton who confound their lack of support by retaining the National League North status.

Whitmore is regularly on the bench at Grimsby, but was on the field at full back on Saturday when they went down 0-2 to Stevenage in a game in which Krystian Dennis played the full ninety without troubling the scorers.

Jay O’Shea has been having an amazing season at Bury who are fourth in League Two. He has scored 15 so far and has shown some of the form he occasionally put on display at Chesterfield. Unfortunately a dip for him currently seems to have coincided with something similar for the team who lost 3-2 at Carlisle for whom Jamie Devitt seems to have come of age, scoring 12 times from midfield in 37 appearances in all competitions. Carlisle for whom Gary Liddle features every week remain on the fringes of the play-off race. Callum McFadzean came on a sub’ for Bury for whom he has featured 35 times and reportedly avoided head-butting or punching any girls. Caolan Lavery also came on in the 74th minute for Bury in an attempt to win the game, but they conceded a third in the 89th minute and lost.

On Saturday Giles Coke again featured for Oldham as non-playing substitute, a role he is assigned whenever fit enough to sit down. Chris O’Grady on the other hand leads the attack for a team which is sitting above halfway.

At Swindon Jak McCourt has made 11 appearances so far and unfortunately his spell with us remains far the most prolific of his professional career.

For the Macclesfield Morecambe clash Paddy Roche had regained his place, whilst Danny Whitaker was reduced to sub by Sol Campbell. Macclesfield also currently feature Zak Jules who is on a short term contract and at only 22 will become available again in the summer.

Down at Dagenham, regulars Conor Wilkinson and Nathan Smith both featured in a drab game in which Kay helped opponents Barrow to keep the clean sheet old hero Ian Evatt favours.

The forgotten Jonathan Wafula came off the bench to little effect for Boston United on Saturday, but has made 26 appearances in wide midfield for them. George Smith got a full game for them whilst playing out his contract with us.

Lee Novak continued to be Scunthorpe’s front man of choice on Saturday having played 35 times this season and scored 11 so far. Their 1-1 draw at Shrewsbury keeps them in the heart of the relegation race.

Local boy Lloyd Kerry continues to be a mainstay of the Harrogate midfield but went off injured after 34 minutes on Saturday during their win at Havant and Waterlooville.

Manny Dieseruvwe is perhaps the current surprise holding his place in Salford’s attack, even when Rooney came back from injury. He may not be banging in the goals but his team is top and Scott Wiseman is holding his place in defence, which perhaps suggests you don't have to be all that good to succeed in this league.

Down at Bromley Richard Brindley’s career appears to be in a downward spin at the age of 25. On Saturday he could only make the bench, but it is a different story for Armand Gnanduillet who came to Chesterfield through the same agent. Apparently marooned at a club more determined to descend than a Boeing, Armand has made a real success of life at Blackpool. He is scoring, getting full games, the club has shed the Oystons, the crowd is back and though the play-offs are out of the reach the team showed its potential by drawing at Luton on Saturday.

Conor Dimaio despite showing an eye for a goal for Stockport was allowed to go to Ashton United for whom he plays every week in relegation battles whilst Stockport are fighting for promotion.

Jake Beesley remains equal second top scorer in the National League North on 19 goals despite Bradford PA’s slide down to sixth place in the table.

Jordan Burrow remains a major player at York City but Steve Watson having dropped down to manage them is expecting more from the entire squad which I would assume includes Jordan appearing in the top scorers list, which at the moment he doesn’t.

Jordan Sinnott is a regular in Alfreton's side, and usually seems to put in a decent performance but on Saturday he achieved only a 3, though he did remain on the pitch for the full ninety in the club’s biggest–ever home defeat, 0-7.

Michael Onovwigun continues to struggle to get a game at Dulwich Hamlet, whilst in the same division Sam Togwell remains a mainstay every week for Slough Town.

Despite a barren spell Jacob Hazel has still hit 20 for the season so far for Frickley following Saturday’s hat-trick and stands in third place in the scoring charts.

Craig Westcarr continues to carry his age well and leads the line every week at Matlock.

Unfortunately at only 33 injury and time passing has taken Sylvan Ebanks-Blake’s career, from starting at Manchester United through great success at Plymouth and Wolverhampton and England U-21 all the way down to getting a game for Darren Byfield at Walsall Wood who are in the Midland League.

Up in the Northern League the presence of Colin Larkin for Sunderland RCA and Joke Orrell for Newcastle Benfield hasn’t been enough to raise either club much above mid-table.

Down at QPR perhaps another change of manager will see Osman Kakay given the first team chances his bench-time has promised.

The story of Reece Mitchell is a sad one. It appears he is signed as a player for Wealdstone but this season has been loaned to first Hendon and then Wingate and Finchley to regain fitness …. He doesn’t appear to be making Wealdstone’s team. Equally under-achieving is the mercurial Mark Randall who is now demonstrating his midfield passing ability with Hemel Hempstead in the lower reaches of National League South following his release by Crawley.

Matty Briggs, who made a full England squad as a teenager, was plying his trade for Maldon and Tiptree in the Bostik League North on Saturday – they won 1-0 in front of 132 people to maintain second place.

Overseas David Faupala has scored more for Apollon Limassol than he managed for us and he’s made European appearances too. Georg Margreitter is still at Nurnberg in the Bundesliga and is club vice-captain ……… Ole Soderberg the only other Chesterfield goalkeeper to have reached the level of Joe Anyon has signed for AFC Eskilstuna in Sweden who regained their place in the top flight last season. He did gain Swedish age group caps at every level up to and including U-21 so probably that game at Oldham didn’t illustrate his entire range of skills.

I forgot Matty Brown at Halifax who is the foundation upon which they've built the defensive solidity which is keeping them mid-table.

Forgotten also was Ollie Banks on his 13th different club at just 26 years of age. He is having a decent season at promotion-chasing Tranmere where he's notched up 30 appearances and the odd goal.

Can't really find out what happened to Dylan Parkin. He's signed with Boston United. He went on loan, fairly successfully to Cleethorpes. Boston recalled him towards the end of January but he's not on either the pitch or the bench at the moment ............

Jack Brownell went to Spalding after Matlock let him go and he has been playing for them in the Northern premier East ever since. Saturday they drew 1-1 away at Pickering in a game they really needed to win to escape the relegation zone. Luckily Jacob Hazel stuck a hat trick past Spalding's nearest rivals Carlton Town in a 6-0 thrashing.

Jordan Flores is trying to rebuild his career on loan at Dundalk. He was sub in their latest game a 1-0 defeat against St Patricks. (I was really looking for Dylan Hand who is apparently signed with Dundalk, has the No 29 shirt, but I can't find any appearance stats for him.)

Was it deliberate or Freudian - Ched Evans scored 2 on Saturday for Fleetwood, that makes 15 for the season, and he topped it up this week with £800,000 from his solicitors over their handling of his case!!!

Also forgotten was Charlie Raglan who after first failing to gain a regular place followed by career-threatening injury at Oxford is re-building his reputation at Cheltenham who have been climbing the table ever since his arrival.
Dancingwilldoit likes this post
(09-04-2019, 18:42)Devongone Wrote: Diego de Girolamo gets a game at Buxton but isn’t near meeting his promise as a junior, but Buxton are challenging for the play-offs despite losing to the leaders Farsley Celtic on Saturday

I know, I was there. They shouldn't have lost that game, a draw would have been a fairer result and Buxton nearly won it at one point but switched off with 9 minutes to go and Farsley counter attacked and scored.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Matthew Briggs: What happened to the Premier League's once-youngest player?

By James Law BBC Sport

Matthew Briggs only played 13 league games at Fulham in seven years.
When Fulham midfielder Harvey Elliott became the youngest ever Premier League player last month, it could have sparked an intriguing quiz question.

Who was the previous record holder, and what happened to him?

You would be forgiven if you did not remember the name Matthew Briggs. He held the title for 12 years, having also made his top-flight debut in a Fulham shirt, aged 16 years and 68 days.

Now 28, Briggs has been through setbacks, self-doubt and a spell working on a building site - spending last season with Essex-based Isthmian League Division One North side Maldon & Tiptree - but, in a great twist, is playing in a major international tournament this summer.

BBC Sport sat down with the defender, who wants to climb back through the leagues and hopes a documentary on his story will help other young players learn from his mistakes.

'I had mates asking for my autograph'

It was Sunday, 13 May 2007 when Briggs replaced Moritz Volz in the 77th minute of Fulham's 3-1 defeat at Middlesbrough, taking the mantle of the Premier League's youngest player from Aaron Lennon.

The next day, the Londoner was back at school, taking his GCSE exams.

"I had mates asking me for my autograph, and I was saying 'shut up'," he joked.

"As time went on, people started to talk about you and you start to realise the greatness of what it is you've done."

Briggs was making headlines but went straight back into the Fulham youth team, not to start another first-team game for more than two and a half years.

"That knocked my confidence straight away and I don't think I ever came back from that, to be honest," Briggs said.

"As I was a big boy for my age I feel they treated me like I was already a man, and I was still very young mentally - I was still a kid and I needed that nurturing, support and guidance which I didn't really get."

The left-back was still representing England at youth level, though, helping them reach the final of the European Under-19 Championship in 2009 alongside players such as Kyle Walker and Danny Welbeck.

Briggs' performances in the tournament drew interest from his boyhood club Manchester United.

He recalled: "There were talks with my agent but Fulham had already lost Chris Smalling, Louis Saha and Edwin van der Sar to United, so they set an asking price of something stupid and they weren't going to pay that for me when I hadn't done anything in the game yet.

"I did feel bitter about it. I always used to say if they'd let me go my life might have been different now, but I've learned to realise you can't change the past."

Loan spells at clubs including Peterborough and Watford followed over the coming seasons, while he had racked up 29 appearances - including 10 Europa League starts - for Fulham as he headed towards the end of his contract at Craven Cottage.

"I had a three-year contract offer on the table from Fulham, but then Martin Jol got sacked," Briggs said.

"I got a bad groin injury that kept me out for the whole year and then obviously he got the sack, which killed me."

How did Briggs end up at Maldon & Tiptree?

After 13 years at Fulham, Briggs was released at the age of 23, moving to Championship side Millwall. It took some getting used to after playing in a white shirt since he was at primary school.

"I was actually driving into Millwall one morning and found myself on the way to Fulham, thinking 'where am I going?'" Briggs said.

In January of his first season at The Den, Briggs was loaned out to Colchester - a move which would turn permanent - where he played the most regular professional football of his career to date.

He played 59 times for the U's in League One and League Two before moving on to Chesterfield for the 2017-18 campaign, where off-field matters made things tough.

"I was driving from Colchester to Chesterfield - about a 10-hour round-trip - every day," said Briggs, who was taking care of his seriously-ill partner.

"I was leaving at 4am to get to training for 8.30am, and getting back home at 7pm."

After leaving the Spireites in December 2017, Briggs effectively spent the rest of the season out of the game, and approached this season without a club.

But Wayne Brown, a former coach at Colchester, invited him to join eighth-tier semi-professional side Maldon & Tiptree and, despite his Premier League upbringing, Briggs had no qualms about saying yes.

"My mindset was 'I've got to prove everyone wrong'," he said.

"I've got to have a consistent season, be consistent in my performance and show everybody I've still got it and shouldn't be at this level."

Though the Essex club were beaten in a play-off final, Briggs scooped their player of the year award and chipped in with a number of goals from full-back.

"It's only this season at Maldon & Tiptree that all the doubts have gone - I've enjoyed my season, the best season I've ever had," he added.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed my football - no pressure, no stress, just expressing myself."

Next season? Briggs would like to climb back up the leagues and build towards a career back in the professional game, but he has bigger fish to fry first…

Matthew Briggs played the whole 90 minutes for Guyana against the USA, who are ranked 30th in the world
An unexpected international comeback

Having played through the England age groups up to the under-21s, Briggs had come to terms with the fact he was unlikely to ever represent the senior side.

But he was handed an unexpected international lifeline in 2015 by Guyana, who he is qualified to represent through his grandmother.

"Guyana have a few names who can play for them and I thought, you know what, this could be decent," Briggs said.

"If we get everybody together we can make a decent team."

Those players include former Crystal Palace and Bolton midfielder Neil Danns, ex-Reading forward Callum Harriott and Newport winger Keanu Marsh-Brown.

Having last played for them more than four years ago, Briggs is part of Guyana's 23-man squad for this summer's Gold Cup - and he started their 4-0 defeat on Wednesday against a USA side featuring Chelsea's £58m forward Christian Pulisic.

From 'white boy' to Guyana's 'skip'
He said: "This time last year I was working on a building site and to have changed all this around, to then be playing in a big tournament like the Gold Cup means everything to me."

The culmination of that turnaround has helped Briggs reflect on how far he has come over the past 12 months, even if it meant dropping down to the lowest level of football he has played.

"I was so depressed about it [working on a building site] and my uncle said to me, 'Listen, just come and work', so I did and, to be fair, I take my hat off to the construction industry because I learned a lot," said Briggs.

"I learned how to put walls up, build blocks and do all that. I learned some life skills.

"I thought, 'Is this what my life has come to?' No disrespect to the construction industry but playing at 16 in the Premier League to then working a construction job, it's made me more hungry to turn it back around."

'Don't feel entitled like I did'

Matthew Briggs has been playing in the Isthmian League with Maldon & Tiptree.
Having gone through such a rollercoaster over the past 12 years, how does Briggs reflect on once being the Premier League's youngest player?

"I don't really think I dealt with it particularly well - from that day [his debut], that's when everything started going downhill and the pressure just got to me, I guess," he said.

"It's hard for me to look back at it because I used to think I'd failed - I used to hate having that title - but now I look at it as something to be proud of.

"Having it for 12 years, I can always say I was the youngest Premier League player and not a lot of people can say that."

And what about the successor to his throne, 16-year-old Elliott? What advice can Briggs offer the protege from his own experiences?

"Don't feel entitled like I did because you made your debut at 16 - you've got to keep proving and showing why they put you there in the first place," he said.

"Be proud of yourself but don't become complacent - don't think you've made it and if you come back next season and you're not in the team, it doesn't mean you're not good enough.

"You just have to keep working hard and keep proving that you're deserving."

Driving from Colchester to Chesterfield ........ caring for his partner? Jeez. He HAD talent. But he needs to play for Bromley or Braintree or someone more accessible to get a foot back on the ladder dontcha think?
That's not an easy journey. Cant actually remember if he played any games for us. Name rings a bell and thats it TBH.
I think we all (well at least me) forget that footballers lead a pretty normal life outside of the game with all the trials and tribulations life throws at you.
Sounds like he deserves better but if he's happy and enjoying playing again then that's good.

A friend of mines son had gone through the Sheff Weds academy and had the misfortune of playing in the same position as the son of a famous ex Weds and England player. My friends son was a much better player but the other lads dad knew the ropes to pull. Come the end of the season my friends son was released whilst his mate was given a 2 year deal by Weds.
Friends son was heartbroken as Weds were his team but he ended up signing for Chesterfield then broke his leg pre season. He never fully recovered and now works for his dads business. He's never kicked a football since. Football can be a cruel place at times.
Big Bore Exhaust = Small Dick
(24-06-2019, 19:39)Dancingwilldoit Wrote: That's not an easy journey. Cant actually remember if he played any games for us. Name rings a bell and thats it TBH.
I think we all (well at least me) forget that footballers lead a pretty normal life outside of the game with all the trials and tribulations life throws at you.
Sounds like he deserves better but if he's happy and enjoying playing again then that's good.

A friend of mines son had gone through the Sheff Weds academy and had the misfortune of playing in the same position as the son of a famous ex Weds and England player. My friends son was a much better player but the other lads dad knew the ropes to pull. Come the end of the season my friends son was released whilst his mate was given a 2 year deal by Weds.
Friends son was heartbroken as Weds were his team but he ended up signing for Chesterfield then broke his leg pre season. He never fully recovered and now works for his dads business. He's never kicked a football since. Football can be a cruel place at times.

I assume that is young Mr Hirst you are talking about?? And where did he end up as well?? He was touted as the next...…..well the next David Hirst, dad pushed and pushed, alienated himself from the club, pushed for a move for George to the PL that never materialized and now George Hirst plies his trade in the French 2nd Division where I believe so far he only has a couple of goals in a full season!!! If your friends lad was as good as you say I wish we had kept him and developed his talent rather than wishing we had Hirst MkII.
(24-06-2019, 20:08)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(24-06-2019, 19:39)Dancingwilldoit Wrote: That's not an easy journey. Cant actually remember if he played any games for us. Name rings a bell and thats it TBH.

I assume that is young Mr Hirst you are talking about??  And where did he end up as well??  He was touted as the next...…..well the next David Hirst, dad pushed and pushed, alienated himself from the club, pushed for a move for George to the PL that never materialized and now George Hirst plies his trade in the French 2nd Division where I believe so far he only has a couple of goals in a full season!!!  If your friends lad was as good as you say I wish we had kept him and developed his talent rather than wishing we had Hirst MkII.

Like I said its a cruel place at times. Some parents think they have to interfere to get their kids where the parent thinks they should be. It goes on everywhere and to a degree its probably been just as soul destroying for George Hirst. His dad probably bulled him up to be the next Messi and then reality strikes.
Chris Waddles lad has ended up at Rainworth FC. His dad won him a contract with us when Shez was here last time. He did nothing. If you are good enough you will do it but not that many do.
Big Bore Exhaust = Small Dick
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »