Thread Rating:
Up or Down?
Up or Down? No - not a concensus on how we're going to fare this Season, but what you used to call when you won the toss on Birmingham Parks pitches!

Albion always attack the Smethwick 1st half, and I don't believe it's anything to do with the sun going down later over the Smethwick/Halfords Corner, nor the fierce Northerly wind freezing the balls off the Smethwick End keeper.
I think we chose to kick towards the BRE manics 2nd half (from 1964 - the Year the BRE started), and it really lifted the Team in the 2nd half back then, and for years afterwards. The Away team, if they won the Toss, would do the opposite, knowing what an advantage we had. In recent times - say the last 30 years - more and more fans follow their Clubs away, and so the Visitors probably elect to kick towards their own fans at The Smethwick 2nd half. Since about 2000, though, the old BREs moved to the other half of The Smethwick, so it's not such an advantage to kick 2nd half towards Birmingham Road as it used to be.

[if you've not fallen asleep yet I'll soon finish this off]......

Why then, do Albion always choose to attack The Smethwick when we win the Toss?
Are there any decent statistics that back up our policy? - if not, the Coaches might like to consider it. Where's Ska'd - (he might find out).
If nothing else, it would be interesting to know whether Probability Statistics back up The Team's policy, or whether we'd do better attacking our manics at The Smethwick 2nd half, and upsetting the Away following 2nd half.

Come on Ska'd!
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
Unfortunately mate, I don't think there's any yardstick by which to measure something like that! The only time I really remember us having to attack the Smethwick second half (because the oppo won the toss and deliberately turned us round as a mind game) was against Wolves in 2011 when Carlos Vela scored the last-gasp equaliser. Can the Smethwick claim credit for that, or did we just get lucky?
OK - thanks, Ska'd.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »