Thread Rating:
Colombia robbed says Maradona with a S American slant on the US ref's performance?
England played awful in 1986 apart from the win against Poland
Robson injured, Wilkins suspended, Hoddle and Waddle ineffective, Terry Fenwick?
They did well against a superior Argentina team but were outclassed even without "That goal" , Maradona is a Cockwomble though totally agree
True so why did FIFA make him an ambassador?  Doh
Unless, of course, it's further proof, if proof is needed, that FIFA are corrupt?  Whistle

And, Josh, did you really have to mention you weren't born when Maradona Cheaty McCheatfaced for Argentina?  Confused Sick Cry
St Charles Owl and 0762 like this post
Not all men are sexist but all men can stop sexism. CALL IT OUT!
(05-07-2018, 12:22)hibeejim21 Wrote: All this vitriol could have been spared if peter shilton had managed to outjump someone 5 foot 3.

Plus never forget a whole England defence that was 'ripped' by that wee genius, one by one eh! If only one of them could have stopped him scoring one of the greatest goals ever converted single handedly in the history of the World Cup but sometimes 'conveniently forgotten' because of the 'hand of god'! Rolleyes
(05-07-2018, 18:34)0762 Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 12:22)hibeejim21 Wrote: All this vitriol could have been spared if peter shilton had managed to outjump someone 5 foot 3.

Plus never forget a whole England defence that was 'ripped' by that wee genius, one by one eh! If only one of them could have stopped him scoring one of the greatest goals ever converted single handedly in the history of the World Cup but sometimes 'conveniently forgotten' because of the 'hand of god'! Rolleyes

I don't think that goal is conveniently forgotten at all, I also don't think its the fact the handball wasn't seen by the ref nor that the goal was given that has caused all this animosity either. This was the first game between the teams after the Falklands War so that was always going to be something that was a factor in this game and on the day Argentina were clearly the better team but it was the aftermath that turned this one refereeing mistake into the story it still is today. Maradona's admittance that it was his hand that knocked the ball into the net and his connection between that and God as if that made it ok certainly stoked the fire, but other comments about revenge for the Falklands or that this was their only goal in the tournament or Menotti saying that this win was all the sweeter because the goal was unjust and cruel but that was ok because it hurt the English, these sort of comments just kept coming and that level of them revelling in winning it because of a goal that shouldn't have been was what everyone remembers and why Maradona is not the favorite player in England to say the least!!! The fact that he still refers to that goal as being so good, so just and so divine shows the mentality of the man!!
SHEP_HTAFC and Amelia Chaffinch like this post
(05-07-2018, 18:27)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: True so why did FIFA make him an ambassador?  Doh
Unless, of course, it's further proof, if proof is needed, that FIFA are corrupt?  Whistle

And, Josh, did you really have to mention you weren't born when Maradona Cheaty McCheatfaced for Argentina?  Confused Sick Cry

Sorry Grandma.  WhistleSmartass

Has hell finally frozen over?! Cockwomble has actually apologised for something.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44729969
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
Maradona is probably the greatest player ever, sure he has his demons much like gazza but I don't see why he shouldn't be honoured by FIFA.
That 'other' goal he scored was incredible genius, I feel honoured to have seen it.
0762 likes this post
He wasn't as good as George Best. He wasn't as good as Ronaldo and Messi are today. And he's certainly not as good as Frank Worthington was. Big Grin
Devongone likes this post
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
I agree Jim but not sure re the greatest player of all time!? Also good comments by SCO in thread #14 re the politics attached to said footie match but how sad when one considers that age old adage that 'soccer breaks down all barriers'. D'ya remember that famous Xmas soccer game in 'no man's land' during WW1 for example. I'd  just remind SCO that it takes 'two to tango' and that was indeed the case when Argentina, and particularly Maradona, 'rubbed your noses in it' and a lotta English fans 'took the bait' even up to the present day for some 'footie elephants' who couldn't 'let it go'! And your footie media was diabolical as usual - no surprise there. I think you alluded to that shared angst anyway SCO - not all one sided and the usual adversarial culture prevailed - offender and victim personified! Ultimately who was really 'hurt and wounded' by that match result and the circumstances? It wasn't Maradona eh!
Quote:Argentina legend Diego Maradona has apologised to Fifa for saying England committed a "monumental robbery" in beating Colombia in the World Cup last 16.

Maradona accused referee Mark Geiger of bias towards England.

Fifa said his comments were "entirely inappropriate" and insinuations about the referee "completely unfounded".

"I said a couple of things and, I admit, some of them are unacceptable," said Maradona on social media.

Maradona posted his message below a picture of himself and Fifa president Gianni Infantino, apologising to both the Swiss and football's world governing body.

"I have absolute respect for the work - which is not easy - that the institution and the referees do," he added.

That's all that cleared up now, we can put that one to bed. Cool
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
I wonder what he was sniffing eh LS!?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »