Thread Rating:
Colombia robbed says Maradona with a S American slant on the US ref's performance?
Well not the coke you burn or the coke you drink, I suspect Big Grin
0762 likes this post
Not all men are sexist but all men can stop sexism. CALL IT OUT!
Must be that fancy Colombian sugar. The really sweet stuff that goes perfectly in tea, coffee and the blood stream.
That second goal by Maradonna always gives me pause for thought. Was it a stunning goal...yes!!!
Was it one of the best of all time...no way!!!
Reasons are very obvious really...he beat Terry Fenwick, Peter Reid and Terry Butcher for pace. Even now in my old age I could do that against those in their prime.
He knocked it past a still agitated and upset Shilton...and even then he was past his best.
It was a rubbish 1986 England team, with a world class striker in Lineker.
If you see in that same tournament his goal v Belgium (who imo were a better team), he scored the same type of goal. But that goal was so much better. And his action of staying on his feet after scoring tells you how superb an athlete he was back then.
The salty sour brigade will tell you the goal v England was one of the best ever....nope...it wasn't even his best goal in that tournament.
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria
(05-07-2018, 18:54)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 18:34)0762 Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 12:22)hibeejim21 Wrote: All this vitriol could have been spared if peter shilton had managed to outjump someone 5 foot 3.

Plus never forget a whole England defence that was 'ripped' by that wee genius, one by one eh! If only one of them could have stopped him scoring one of the greatest goals ever converted single handedly in the history of the World Cup but sometimes 'conveniently forgotten' because of the 'hand of god'! Rolleyes

I don't think that goal is conveniently forgotten at all, I also don't think its the fact the handball wasn't seen by the ref nor that the goal was given that has caused all this animosity either.  This was the first game between the teams after the Falklands War so that was always going to be something that was a factor in this game and on the day Argentina were clearly the better team but it was the aftermath that turned this one refereeing mistake into the story it still is today.  Maradona's admittance that it was his hand that knocked the ball into the net and his connection between that and God as if that made it ok certainly stoked the fire, but other comments about revenge for the Falklands or that this was their only goal in the tournament or Menotti saying that this win was all the sweeter because the goal was unjust and cruel but that was ok because it hurt the English, these sort of comments just kept coming and that level of them revelling in winning it because of a goal that shouldn't have been was what everyone remembers and why Maradona is not the favorite player in England to say the least!!!  The fact that he still refers to that goal as being so good, so just and so divine shows the mentality of the man!!

Yeah, england would never stoke up nationalist fervour surrounding a football game would they ? Laugh

""
(06-07-2018, 11:19)SHEP_HTAFC Wrote: That second goal by Maradonna always gives me pause for thought. Was it a stunning goal...yes!!!
Was it one of the best of all time...no way!!!
Reasons are very obvious really...he beat Terry Fenwick, Peter Reid and Terry Butcher for pace. Even now in my old age I could do that against those in their prime.
He knocked it past a still agitated and upset Shilton...and even then he was past his best.
It was a rubbish 1986 England team, with a world class striker in Lineker.
If you see in that same tournament his goal v Belgium (who imo were a better team), he scored the same type of goal. But that goal was so much better. And his action of staying on his feet after scoring tells you how superb an athlete he was back then.
The salty sour brigade will tell you the goal v England was one of the best ever....nope...it wasn't even his best goal in that tournament.

"a still agitated and upset Shilton" Laugh Laugh

The only time shilton ever got agitated and upset was at closing time.
SHEP_HTAFC and 0762 like this post
Maradona could do certain things brilliantly, but he was an unattractive fat-arsed little man of great talent and limited brain.

Me I'd go for Pele, Best, Ronaldo, Cruyff and maybe John Charles above him. And from how I've heard people talk about him, as I was very young when he died, Duncan Edwards. And a lot of people would add Tom Finney to this list.

Given the choice I'd have gone to have watched Frank Worthington or Jim Baxter in front Maradona. Maradona had neither grace nor style. He was a deisel engine, I wouldn't have waited on a cold station to catch a glimpse of him powering through.
Ska'dForLife-WBA likes this post
IMO Georgie Best was theee best but it's all down to opinion and seeing him perform 'in the flesh' - a wasted footie 'genius' who never played in any major international finals. Revered by the footie club fans who adored him and saw the best of his genius, much like those adoring fans of the 'fat man' who prob watched the best of his genius ability in Italian soccer! Maradona was born in a tough, slum region of Buenos Aires and that upbringing kinda showed throughout his life in the way he behaved! It's easy to criticise such a man, and prob for good reason as Jim has satirically reminded some 'critics, but just bear that in mind.
You can take the boy out of the slum but not the slum out of the boy ............? He's been revered like the Dalai Lama since he was about 15 and has lived a life only 0.000001 of the Argentine population can aspire to for over 40 years............. and he's still a drug-snorting gland, prejudiced up to his chubby little eyebrows, above which very little appears to be functional.

How much of a genius would George Best have to have been to perform in any major International Final with the players Northern Ireland had alongside him? Cruyff, Pele and Maradona got to play with some of the best players their countries had ever produced ........ so comparisons tend to become impossible. By his mid-twenties Best had self-destructed, but then Dylan Thomas never saw middle-age, Van Gogh and Keats hardly lived beyond their youth ........

Plenty of good men and wise leaders have emerged from abject poverty and many men live in poverty throughout their blameless lives and are loved and admired by those around them for what and how they ARE, rather than for one thing they happen to do very well. It's a bit of an insult to the poor and oppressed of the world to excuse appalling behaviour because they kinda can't help it.
Lord Snooty, SHEP_HTAFC, Maddix And 1 others like this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »