Thread Rating:
How does this WC compare?
Is this World cup a good one thus far or a bad one?

how does it compare to 1970, 1986 or 1982?

An England team to actually enjoy and be proud of thus far, a never write them off Germany, the brilliant Christiano Ronaldo, the passion of the Colombian fans, plucky counter attacking Mexico, very surprising Russia

Or

Awful Argentina, Workmanlike Brazil, underachieving France, sides like Panama and Saudi keeping out Czech Rep, Italy etc

Early days yet but hugely impressed with Russia as a host, after all the politics and swipes there appears to have been no trouble, lots of smiles and great facilities
Absolutely loving it. Most enjoyable watch since 1978, I'd say. None of the matches have been boring, none that I've watched anyway.
The last few World Cups have been so poor, this one is a breath of fresh air. Smile
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
The people who pretended to hate the World Cup always watched it anyway.

What kind of idiot doesn't want to see Colombia or Brazil play?

Who wouldn't like to select all Argentina's forwards for them and say to the defence - if you can stop the opposition scoring three we're bound to win?
I'm really enjoying it.....not one single 0-0 yet (although a couple of last minute goals to make it 1-0).
Loving the South American fans. They are really making it for me.
Peru, Colombia, Mexico, Costa Rica, and obviously Brazil fans are massively outnumbering and outsinging any other team they have played.
No idea why they are all out there in such massive numbers, but so glad they are.
I saw a tweet from someone saying England should come 2nd in the group and avoid Germany and get Mexico in the quarters if we get past last 16. I'm not so sure....with their massive support and quick counter attacking football....Mexico are a dark horse.
I think I'd rather play a misfiring Germany tbh.
In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria
Winners try to win, losers are prepared to lose.
I think its been a good one so far. Maybe the fact that a lot of the favorites have struggled has helped make the groups tighter and with less predictability, all of that increases the interest in each game, as we saw in today's Group B games.
No 0-0 draws and lotsa teams absolutely 'busting a gut' to either 'save themselves' or 'put on a good show' for their fans. Good to watch most of the well attended games and, as mentioned in the OP, high praise must be given to the Russian organisation and presentation of this event. It's been seamless and top class so far, contrary to some of the gloomy predictions that were uttered a few months ago through various media sources.
One thing which is annoying me about this World Cup is the amount of play acting and diving in the main from the likes of Portugal, Spain and the South American teams. A lot are going down when they've not been touched.
Lord Snooty likes this post
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
(25-06-2018, 23:25)spireitematt Wrote: One thing which is annoying me about this World Cup is the amount of play acting and diving in the main from the likes of Portugal, Spain and the South American teams. A lot are going down when they've not been touched.

VAR should be used to give retrospective yellow cards for this kind of cheating. It's pathetic! Angry
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Yep! I agree wholeheartedly and wish more refs cautioned players who were clearly trying to con them or trying to get an opponent red-carded on a falsified 'roll about' or similar and then recovering as healthy as can be. This irritating practise never goes away - gone on for years/decades and I've observed it even in previous Euro champ matches at youth level, U21s and previously in U23 matches v the likes of Greece and Croatia. Also it has surprised me how many 'cynical tackles' have been ignored by refs, some of these challenges were extremely dangerous as well and it does not surprise me that many players have additional lower leg protection/padding - no wonder!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »