Thread Rating:
The Impossible Job
I ended up watching this infamous documentary again earlier its been a long while, for those who haven't it`s the story of England`s inglorious route to the 94 World Cup under manager Graham Taylor

At the time it was something of a high comedy documentary with quotes like "Can we not knock it" and "Do I not like that" becoming everyday football lingo and Phil Neal being the ultimate Yes man

Looking back some years later despite the TV slant for watchable product, we still have the awful media who will jump from pillar to post in five minutes (Tomorrows papers will have England as World champions)
England`s group looking back is incredibly tough, the always strong Holland, Norway at their best, Turkey two years later would be at Euro 96 and eternal rivals Poland
Injuries were rife and I vividly recall having to play Gazza just to satisfy the media, regardless of form or refueling habits

Some may remember Taylor as a long ball manager, a bygone manager, cut from the same cloth as Woy, Pulis and Allardyce in his tactics, those in the real know would know that Taylor`s tactical knowledge of the game was on par with the biggest name managers of today even though his England reign or style was never as big success as the Country or the media wanted

Always a wonder to me is the "What if" Engalnd made it to WC94, they did have a good set of players
It is all 'past history' now but I certainly don't think that 'Taylor team' would've got anywhere near the eventual World Cup winners, Brazil, or an impressive Italy side that lost the '94 final in the USA but they would've prob progressed to the latter stages with a bit of luck, something that was lacking in The Netherlands match when they were beaten by a good Dutch side in a close game. Reference to Graham Taylor's failure/demise always reminds of that horrible Sun front page newspaper headline: Swedes 1 Turnips 0 and a photo of Taylor's head superimposed with a turnip. No wonder so many people up n down the country despise this 'rag' with a passion - one of many ludicrous defamations/nasty insinuations (the Hillsborough episode one of the most despicable!!) that they peddled with impunity up to the present day!!
turkeydinner likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »