Thread Rating:
Michael Owen - England could/will win the World Cup this time!
I think Engerland will win their match v Panama who IMO are one of the poorest teams in this World Cup tournament. However, Belgium will beat Tunisia as well but the Belgians still have question marks attached to their mentality and belief to do well in World Cup finals. Past disappointing experience must surely change their mindset re tackling matches properly and effectively!? We will see! It looks like Senegal may well be a surprise adversary although this team has not lost many matches in the past 18 months.. Colombia suckered in their 1st game v Japan after Sanchez stupidly red-carded on 8 mins! I reckon they may still 'sneak it' for second place - unimpressed by Poland and Japan! I must say, from a footie perspective, I'm delighted to see an African team doing well so far and hope they progress further into the tournament - good for the game!
Quite a lot of salty comments in every comment you make 0762 regarding England.
Need to take the poke of chips off your shoulder and start realising that every team that goes into a World Cup think they can win it.
What's the point of entering it if you don't?
Will England win it? Not imo. But that's not going to stop me dreaming.

And as for getting carried away thinking we can win it when really we have no chance....just look at the re-runs of Argentina '78 for Scoootland. A more deluded set of fans and players you could not get. You lot all thought the trophy was coming back. Arrogance beyond belief. And you have the cheek to call us arrogant. Kettle black pot spring to mind.
Amelia Chaffinch and Ska'dForLife-WBA like this post
In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria
I like the idea that a man who a whole owns a stable of racehorses, a stud farm and range of properties around Cheshire is likely to be tempted by a little media cash to mess up his reputation in football ......... I think Michael Owen's lifestyle proves he has a little more oil in his lamp than that.

Everything I think about this World Cup turns out daily to be wrong. For instance I thought Egypt with a fit Salah and an organised defence would trouble Russia - in fact Salah was present in name only and the organised, committed defence that held out Uruguay appeared to have neither the stomach, nor the brains for last night's battle.

As for England, had Harry Kane not scored two I think the headline writers would have been castigating him as uncreative, immobile and slow-off-the-mark, but he did score two and was a hero. On the other hand Raheem Sterling missed an early chance and played the goat for the rest of the game. Harry Maguire bringing the ball out of defence lumbered forward like a tank, but did finally win a header. Ashley Young ruined most deadball situations, several attacks and looked dodgy when defending. Kyle Walker defended like a full back caught unawares where a centre half should be. The team missed Eric Dier, Marcus Rashford and Ruben Loftus-Cheek .... and Jesse Lingard uncharacteristically missed every chance he got. BUT despite this list of negatives we not only won, but a times we played very nicely against a team Spain and other European teams have struggled against. Even Scots can be infected by our colonialist impulses and underestimate African teams - this Tunisian team hadn't just hiked bedraggled from the Sahel you know. They've got a good background and are organised, well-coached and recognised the opportunities being offered to them by a lenient referee and an apparently permanently unsighted VAR system, which operated like tennis's Hawkeye, holding up both hands and shrugging its shoulders.

Win the World Cup? Naah, don't think so, but look at Germany, not only did they lose, but their defensive midfield man Khedira looked like a dead man barely walking, which largely banjaxed Kroos alongside him, Kimmich was permanently upfield leaving a hole the size of the ozone layer in their defence, Thomas Muller seemed to be saying what am I doing playing out here, Werner looked to be on the verge of a panic attack, Gomez would make the Angel of the North look mobile, Sane was apparently too quick to make this squad at all, from the first minute Hummels seemed to be very angry indeed and Neuer seemed determined to cover his lack of match practice with sheer arrogance. Look at the Mexican goal, just at the moment the near-post shot is loosed off Neuer takes a little half shuffle towards the centre of the goal. Whatever miniscule chance he had of getting down to stop the shot was lost in that instant, but because it was Neuer no one gives it a second glance. Does this mean Germany are as good as out or will they as usual turn it round? Does Messi fluffing every line so far condemn Argentina to be mere extras? Does the Swiss parking their Reliant Robin to clamp the Brazilian Jaguar finish off the beautiful game for another World Cup?

Maybe it's as early to go in heavily on the Andy Murray anti-England line as it is to go in with the predictions. It's like all those times you got caught offside Michael, you were really fast enough to hold your run a wee bit, weren't you?
Lord Snooty and 0762 like this post
(20-06-2018, 10:27)SHEP_HTAFC Wrote: Quite a lot of salty comments in every comment you make 0762 regarding England.
Need to take the poke of chips off your shoulder and start realising that every team that goes into a World Cup think they can win it.

And as for getting carried away thinking we can win it when really we have no chance....just look at the re-runs of Argentina '78 for Scoootland. A more deluded set of fans and players you could not get. You lot all thought the trophy was coming back. Arrogance beyond belief. And you have the cheek to call us arrogant. Kettle black pot spring to mind.

Salty comments?? That's ironic in a thread that starts and continues with a salty comment and others son!!!???? I'll just put that 'reaction' down to a piece of banter! Rolleyes
My comments are based on observed matches and player performances. I don't think they were in any way inaccurate. Of course, I forgot that you are an Engerland fan who wants his team to do well but don't try to suppress any criticism of your own team FFS!! There are other folk on this board who share similar sentiments and are also Engerland fans - have you not noticed that fact and it is generally based on the performances and ability of players to perform or not perform at this level! Good comments btw Devongone and definite similar deserved criticism of many German players. Don't forget they almost undeservedly 'stole a draw' when that great Brandt shot hit the side of the Mexican post in the dying mins. Will they save their reputation and status in the remaining group matches? Watch this space but Joachim Loewe definitely has a better, more accountable German team than that one eh!
If we get out the group which we should. This is who we could play.

Last 16: -
Colombia
Japan
Senegal
Poland

Quarter-finals: -
Costa Rica
Brazil
Serbia
Switzerland
Germany
Mexico
Sweden
South Korea

Semi-finals: -
Russia
Uruguay
Spain
Portugal
France
Argentina

Realistically we should get to the quarter-finals but we will need to really up our game to get to the Semi-finals or final. This all depends though on who will get out their group.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
(20-06-2018, 15:57)0762 Wrote:
(20-06-2018, 10:27)SHEP_HTAFC Wrote: Quite a lot of salty comments in every comment you make 0762 regarding England.

Salty comments?? That's ironic in a thread that starts and continues with a salty comment and others son!!!???? I'll just put that 'reaction' down to a piece of banter! Rolleyes
My comments are based on observed matches and player performances. I don't think they were in any way inaccurate. Of course, I forgot that you are an Engerland fan who wants his team to do well but don't try to suppress any criticism of your own team FFS!! There are other folk on this board who share similar sentiments and are also Engerland fans - have you not noticed that fact and it is generally based on the performances and ability of players to perform or not perform at this level! Good comments btw Devongone and definite similar deserved criticism of many German players. Don't forget they almost undeservedly 'stole a draw' when that great Brandt shot hit the side of the Mexican post in the dying mins. Will they save their reputation and status in the remaining group matches? Watch this space but Joachim Loewe definitely has a better, more accountable German team than that one eh!

Just such an awful lot of anti English sentiment in all your posts....and certainly not based on any facts. You seem to be basing it on one game played and the bookies prices. Ye God what a stupid thing to do.
The fact is not one team has produced a wow factor other than possibly Russia (although the teams they have played so far have been woeful).
And just so you know son, I can criticise anyones' comments on here without it being regarded as suppressing criticism of my own team. What a utterly stupid comment to make. Ever heard of opinions son?
And coming back to the original title of this stupid thread, what did Michael Owen actually say? Did he say England WILL win the WC, or did he say COULD win. Massive difference right there.
Of course England can win the World Cup. Unlike Scoootland for instance who definitely can't. And if he actually believes they can, there's nothing wrong with him saying they WILL win it. Again it's an opinion son.
In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria
Shep sounds like one tough dad. I wouldn't be coming home late, or researching the family tree to discover any forgotten Scottish branches ..........

I agree one or two games is a very short time in which to judge a team's potential. Uruguay have been dire but they probably have the best centre backs in the competition, up front Cavani and Suarez (who hasn't looked the part at all) COULD give anyone a run for their money and Muslera is catching crosses like low-hanging fruit ....... But will they even come out and try to do more than scrape another 1-0 against Russia? I'm convinced at least half Russia's team will struggle to achieve a B- against decent opposition. Akinfeyev is yet to make either one of his brilliant saves, or one of his disastrous errors, their centre backs shouldn't be able to hold a functioning Uruguay and their centre forward doesn't seem to have any weapons to trouble Gimenez and Godin ......... but who knows with the crowd and the nation behind them, or a Gulag calling and both teams qualified, how they BOTH will react?

And as for England, if we beat Panama and Belgium do for Tunisia who would you choose amongst Colombia, Japan, Senegal and Poland? Are the Poland who played Senegal the only Poland and what if Colombia keep 11 men on the field and play their game? Might the physical strength of Senegal trouble us or would we be better off playing the Japanese who looked like players once they realised they could win? It's nice if Michael Owen thinks we might win it, but the two steps following Panama would cause me sleepless nights if I were Gareth Southgate. If we DO beat Panama, do we play to beat Belgium and will they play to beat us and in the last 16 there's no one I'd fancy playing. Bizarrely in the Quarters Brazil and Germany look fearsome-ish but any other option would definitely do.
SHEP_HTAFC likes this post
(21-06-2018, 10:08)SHEP_HTAFC Wrote:
(20-06-2018, 15:57)0762 Wrote:

Salty comments?? That's ironic in a thread that starts and continues with a salty comment and others son!!!???? I'll just put that 'reaction' down to a piece of banter! :rolleyes:

Just such an awful lot of anti English sentiment in all your posts....and certainly not based on any facts. You seem to be basing it on one game played and the bookies prices. Ye God what a stupid thing to do.
The fact is not one team has produced a wow factor other than possibly Russia (although the teams they have played so far have been woeful).
And just so you know son, I can criticise anyones' comments on here without it being regarded as suppressing criticism of my own team. What a utterly stupid comment to make. Ever heard of opinions son?
And coming back to the original title of this stupid thread, what did Michael Owen actually say? Did he say England WILL win the WC, or did he say COULD win. Massive difference right there.
Of course England can win the World Cup. Unlike Scoootland for instance who definitely can't. And if he actually believes they can, there's nothing wrong with him saying they WILL win it. Again it's an opinion son.

Anti English sentiment in all posts - go to bed and chill ehhh!! What a load of tosh! Read your own hypocritical  anti Scottish comments re a topic that was debated on a number of bbc radio channels and centred on the premature nature of said comments by Owen! Aye you are entitled to your own opinion pal but keep it civil ehhh!! I must also be an anti Germany critic as well based on your crass interpretation (dohhhh!!!) of comments that centre on your beloved Engerland!! Nuff said - not worth any more comment on such stupid, impulsive remarks that emanated from that 'pea' that you call a brain lol!
Your posts are anti-English, 0762, all very covert but it's there. I know you don't like it pointing out but there it is.
Not all men are sexist but all men can stop sexism. CALL IT OUT!
ALL posts anti-English? Give it a rest Amelia! Also read some of that clown's comments before continuing in that vein!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »