Thread Rating:
Portugal v Spain - What a match!
An absolute classic. One of the best ever World Cup matches? I'd say so. Thumb up
turkeydinner likes this post
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Great game and a cracking free kick from Ronaldo to level it at 3-3!! That game had a bit of everything!!
Was there ever any doubt that that third one was going in from the free kick?

As for Pepe falling over screaming prior to Costa's first goal, he should've been booked for Cowardice. Laugh Thumb down Whistle Blush Angry Doh Sick
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
(15-06-2018, 21:59)Lord Snooty Wrote: Was there ever any doubt that that third one was going in from the free kick?

As for Pepe falling over screaming prior to Costa's first goal, he should've been booked for Cowardice. Laugh  Thumb down  Whistle  Blush  Angry  Doh  Sick

VAR has done ok so far, not held the game up at all and so far has got the decisions correct, including that one on Pepe!!
A terrific match full of everything and a great advert for footie. I thought Ronaldo kinda played for that free kick that that got the equalising third goal but that is what he does! And what a world class strike it was. Nacho's goal again in the same category - top class! More questions raised again re De Gea's temperament - he has gaffed like this on a number of occasions for Man Utd and yet he is a very good goalie for most of a normal footie season. However, no damage done and I expect Spain to romp through this group in top spot where they will likely face Russia or Uruguay.
I just read a report in The Telegraph that rated Busquets, Koke, Silva, and Isco at 6 out of 10 and Iniesta at 7. Sam Wallace, Chief Football Writer you should find a new profession. I did not know Isco was quite that good. He was a 9. Silva was excellent, Iniesta was Iniestable as usual, Busquets played bloody well - perhaps Koke was somewhere between a 6 and 7 ........ in a wonderful game. Those who say they can't stomach the World Cup need to wake up and smell the roses.

Nacho's goal was an absolute cracker. Ronaldo's free kick was the best example since Beckham against Greece of a player being able to exercise extreme skill at a moment of desperate stress - superb ..... though as an ex-keeper I've always wondered how defensive a wall actually is. If the defence didn't build one I'm sure the attack would. The keeper is asked to deliberately put himself out of position - you can reach the top and bottom corners from the centre of the goal, but the defensive wall puts a big area of the goal out of the keeper's control. With all the improvements in the game I'm surprised no one has come up with a more efficient defensive device than the trump-wall.

De Gea IS a a top keeper but he made a terrible mistake. Best keeper I've seen so far by a country mile is Bieranvand of Iran - he exuded calm and confidence. A Premier League club should gets its cheque book out now before Spain and Portugal add to his value.
Lord Snooty and turkeydinner like this post
Portugal was the Ronaldo show but I found watching William Carvalho interesting, he sort of strolls round the pitch but his positioning to intercept in the right place and his passing whilst not defence splitting was pretty immaculate
Rest of Portugal bar Patricio and Quaresma were no better than a 6
Reminded me of that old France, Marseilles and Hibs legend, Frank Sauzee. Le God!
Best game so far by a country mile!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »