Thread Rating:
Germany WC squad
Germany provisional 27-man squad in full

Goalkeepers: Bernd Leno (Bayer Leverkusen), Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona), Kevin Trapp (Paris St-Germain)

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Matthias Ginter (Borussia Monchengladbach), Jonas Hector (Cologne), Mats Hummels (Bayern Munich), Joshua Kimmich (Bayern Munich), Marvin Plattenhardt (Hertha Berlin), Antonio Rudiger (Chelsea), Niklas Sule (Bayern Munich), Jonathan Tah (Bayer Leverkusen)

Midfielders: Julian Brandt (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Paris St-Germain), Leon Goretska (Schalke), Ilkay Gundogan (Manchester City), Sami Khedira (Juventus), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Sebastian Rudy (Bayern Munich), Leroy Sane (Manchester City)

Strikers: Mario Gomez (Stuttgart), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Nils Petersen (SC Freiburg), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)

No Mario Gotze or Emre Can but Wow! Team to beat IMO
Always are TD
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Incredibly strong squad.
Aye! What a strong looking squad. I still think they are 'light' on the striker front compared with previous German World Cup teams but there is some serious 'fire power' in the midfield listing.
Definitely ,if they play Muller its more 4-6-0

Klose was the last player for me who led the line
A Klinsmann, Voller, Rumminige or even a Bierhoff type would make a lot more impact
Their final 23 looks strong, but looking at their ordinary-looking front players I'm amazed they aren't taking the speed of Sane with them. The midfield is inevitably strong but pace and trickery become invaluable when teams just want to defend against you. I reckon if you defend the final third in numbers you've a chance of keeping a clean sheet against this lot.
Surprised they chose reus instead of sane to be honest like devongone says,but if rues is fit he has amazing quality. But that boy goretzka is a fantastic player and i think he could really stand out this tournament,especially if ozil is injured. Kimmich has fantastic potential and could be german captain in the future.

Much will depend on how werner plays up top,he's only 21 and lightning fast but this is a big step up.

They didn't look too hot in the friendlies though,rumours all is not well behind the scenes.
I gather that Julian Brandt actually pipped Sane for that last midfield spot in a tight finish. Lets see if Brandt becomes a top performer in their opening matches. Also I don't take much heed of friendly match performances as IMO they are practise matches, nothing more than that! German teams tend to 'fly out the traps' and play the serious stuff when it matters. I expect them to do exactly that.
(13-06-2018, 21:17)0762 Wrote: I gather that Julian Brandt actually pipped Sane for that last midfield spot in a tight finish. Lets see if Brandt becomes a top performer in their opening matches. Also I don't look take take much heed of friendly match performances as IMO they are practise matches, nothing more than that! German teams tend to 'fly out the traps' and play the serious stuff when it matters. I expect them to do exactly that.

Are you sure I didn't write that 0762? It has all the accuracy of one of my predictions!

Mind you I like Brandt too ...... but I think they need a new position or formation to accommodate Kimmich. I'm not saying he can't play full back, it's just very difficult from the opposition penalty area.
Actually think brandt showed enough in his brief run out v mexico that he could be worth a start.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »