Thread Rating:
Scottish Cup semi-final: Hibs v Aberdeen, Sat 22 April, KO 12.15pm
Well I've got my match tickets and hoping to see the boys extend our interest towards another Scottish Cup final for the Cabbage n Ribs and lifting the Holy Grail for an unbelievable second time! Can you imagine Embro city centre and Leith on the day of celebration?? Aye - because we witnessed those euphoric scenes last season eh!!! Smile
The game itself will be tough against a decent Dons' side but I think we can beat them with the right Hibs line up that Lenny finally decides to opt for. I reckon that we have an advantage with a team that Aberdeen don't regularly play against. Therefore no familiarity on the pitch - that will suit a Hibs team that can clearly 'raise their game' in big matches. I'm expecting Bartley to start this game and add some extra physicality to our midfield. Remember that many of our players are Scottish Cup winners and that experience will be very useful in this kinda match.
I expect Lenny's line up to resemble this one:-

Rocky
Gray DarrenMac Effe Stevo
Bartley
McGinn Shinnie McGeouch
Cummings Holt/Keatings

A solid defence is 'key' to winning this match and we definitely have that strength. My slight concern is scoring goals but it looks like goals could come from various positions now - good timing by Hibs and lets cheer these goals when they hit the Dons' net. C'mon Hibs - HISTORY BECKONS!!!

GGTTH
hfcbounce likes this post
My team ...

rocky

gray
ambrose
McGregor
lewis

bartley
fyvie
mcginn
Dylan
boyle

Cummings

Unless hanlon is fit,then I'd seriously consider playing holt (to do a similar number he did on the hertz defenders),drop boyle and going to a back 3
It's a game to win Jim and a back three would be attractive in that respect. However, this will be a tactical match and I expect Lenny to hold to a solid back four with Marv patrolling the area in front of that defence but the order has to be that our wing backs attack the Dons' flanks at every opportunity - very similar to our demolition of Hearts that could well have been a 5-1 or 6-1 hammering on another day and Hibs were really 'in their faces' for most of that match! Boyly could be 'key' to Hibs winning this match and I notice that Humphrey is fit and it wouldn't surprise me if Lenny 'slots him in' at some stage of the game to perform a similar duty on Hibs right wing.
Lenny cutely labelling the Dons as favourites to win this semi-final in today's media interviews with both managers - a good psychological move!
He learned from the Martin oneill school of mind games.

Some things haven't gone particularly well for the manager this year,but generally he tends to have the team well prepared and "up" for the big games.

Starting to get excited now,planning on a good day whatever the outcome.
Beaton is the match ref and I'll take that ref appointment even though the lad has had his 'iffy moments' during this footie season. He has previously officiated some notable, victorious Hibs SC matches v Dundee Utd and Killie. I hope it continues on Saturday and he has a good performance.
No pressure on us.

We just need to go out and give a good account of ourselves on the day.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39680019

Very good post match comments and criticisms by Neil Lennon re a cup semi-final that we really should've won today. Poor decision making 'key' to this result not being a positive one for Hibs and he's right - gallant losers are still losers, pure and simple! However, he won't admit this but I believe he most certainly started with the wrong Hibs line up!!! Most savvy Hibs fans know full well that Fyvie and Bartley don't blend properly in Hibs midfield and he indeed had to 'change it' by bringing on a 36 year old veteran, Holt, who changed the fine balance of the game altogether and sorted the problem!! And what 'stinking goals' were lost to a Dons' side that I didn't regard as playing that well TBF! Cummings played his usual  poor Hampden form, as did Dons' Rooney who scored the 1st goal but that was it,  and Jason was clearly 'spent' after 60 mins - blowing oot his arse! IMO the pivotal moments were in a second half when Aberdeen rarely threatened Hibs goal apart from that jammy deflected winning goal (what about that Dons' hand baw that was ignored just before that deflected shot???) against the run of play - 1. The direct free kick just o/s Dons' pen box - it was for Shinnie's right foot (not Cummings!!!) to hit it, right sided on the Aberdeen goal as Willian did successfuly for Chelsea v Spurs in tonight's FA Cup semi-final - a good scoring chance lost!!!! 2. Holt's magnificent through pass to Boyle who doesn't need to break stride to control the ball but skelps it into the the bottom RH corner of the Dons' net - screeammmm in utter frustration from lotsa Hibs fans - a glorious scoring chance squandered to make the score 3-3 and justice done!! Two very good Hibs goals scored btw but the 'stinking goals' that were lost were totally unacceptable and I concur with Lenny re that part of his assessment. This was definitely another cup final opp lost and the final will be poorer for the loss of a great colourful and vocal Hibs support that brightened up this occasion no end compared with a half empty Dons' support that was pretty average esp when the 'going was tough' for their side in the second half. C'est la vie and I spit on Lady Luck with that massively deflected shot/goal that could've been deflected anywhere in the stadium - absolutely cruel misfortune but Hibs are Scottish Championship winners all the same and our top priority target is 'done n dusted'!

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7496
hibeejim21, hfc, ritchiebaby like this post
I think had Aberdeen scored a 3rd goal it would have been over but the Holt header gave us hope and the Sheep kinda went into their shell. When McGeouch scores his cracking equaliser it looked more than feasible that the Hibees would go on and win as the momentum  was with us but u can't do anything about the Sheep's winner. U just gotta suck it up i'm afraid. It was cruel alright but that's life! and if ur a Hibby it's not the first nor will it be the last time we have felt aggrieved at losing a game. Again it's true that the main priority has been achieved. We're coming back up where we belong but it would have been nice to defend our Trophy come May against either of the Horrible twins. Just for the hell of it even if we lost.

GGTTH!
Aye! I share the same sentiments hfc. Also I must ask who looked like the Scottish Premiership side once Lenny sorted out our mid problem eh?? I don't think Hibs have been overwhelmed or subdued by any SP side in cup ties since relegation and that augurs well for the future. Lastly I wish wee Dylan would stop getting injured!!! Prob the MOTM but unfortunately ruined by injury AGAIN! Rolleyes
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »