Thread Rating:
I Supposed He Will Get Slated For This
James McClean paying tribute to Martin McGuinness

http://meanwhileinireland.com/james-mccl...cguinness/
@Kristien 1965
He probably will, and quite justifiably so. Lets not lose sight of the fact that Martin McGuiness was a terrorist directly responsible for the murders of many innocent people.
Just wrote a long piece about Martin McGuinness but decided to scrub it. Let's just say I won't miss him.
baggietrousers and Stairs like this post
Quantum, I'm sure you're right that he will get slated but then he's been taking flak for his political views during his whole career. I actually admire James McLean for having the courage of his convictions to openly express his personal feelings even though he's aware he will be criticised for them. He wears his heart on his sleeve, you can see that in the way he plays but also in his personal life and the generosity he shows for those less financially fortunate than himself or in need of help. I have no idea what James' view of McGuinness the IRA commander is but it's clear that, as a strong Republican, he shared McGuiness' political stance and desire for a United Ireland. It's not surprising, therefore, that he expresses his admiration.
Salopbaggie, drewks, Alouion And 1 others like this post
(21-03-2017, 22:31)baggietrousers Wrote: He probably will, and quite justifiably so.  Lets not lose sight of the fact that Martin McGuiness was a terrorist directly responsible for the murders of many innocent people.

Let's not forget that the British ravaged Ireland for hundreds of years, created sectarianism, divided up the country and were directly and indirectly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Irish people. If it wasn't for Martin McGuiness and people like him there wouldn't be peace in Northern Ireland.
aries22, talkSAFT, BaggieSteve And 2 others like this post
Some fine posts on here.
I hated McLean when he arrived after his widely-reported protest. It was wrong both then and now. Nevertheless I respect his right to a different viewpoint.
There have been many wrongs perpetrated in Ireland by both the British and the Republicans. However we are way past the recriminations. We need peacemakers there.
Martin McGuiness was part of the problem there but very much part of the solution also. To the last he faced up to criticism of selling out to the British from dissident IRA who want the war to continue.
As for McLean he has moved on from the early bad times. Though not a great player, I defy anyone to name a bigger "trier" at the club. He busts a gut for WBA.
Born in N. Ireland he plays for Ireland, yet his countrymen, Brunt, MacAuley and Evans seems to like him. If they can forgive and forget, so should we.
Ska'dForLife-WBA, Stathemwasthebestever, BaggieSteve And 3 others like this post
(22-03-2017, 15:41)Alouion Wrote: Some fine posts on here.
I hated McLean when he arrived after his widely-reported protest. It was wrong both then and now. Nevertheless I respect his right to a different viewpoint.
There have been many wrongs perpetrated in Ireland by both the British and the Republicans. However we are way past the recriminations. We need peacemakers there.
Martin McGuiness was part of the problem there but very much part of the solution also. To the last he faced up to criticism of selling out to the British from dissident IRA who want the war to continue.
As for McLean he has moved on from the early bad times. Though not a great player, I defy anyone to name a bigger "trier" at the club. He busts a gut for WBA.
Born in N. Ireland he plays for Ireland, yet his countrymen, Brunt, MacAuley and Evans seems to like him. If they can forgive and forget, so should we.

Well said  Thumb up
Brighton player Shane Duffy called him a hero, personally would view him otherwise, that is all I will say
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Yabbadoo:
Let's not forget that the British ravaged Ireland for hundreds of years, created sectarianism, divided up the country and were directly and indirectly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Irish people. If it wasn't for Martin McGuiness and people like him there wouldn't be peace in Northern Ireland.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yabbadoo, as much as I disliked Martin McGuinness, it's impossible to argue with you there.
talkSAFT likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »